Baron Two Jags of Kingston-Upon-Hull

dune

How on earth Prescott got to one of the highest levels in British Govt is beyond me

Have met him on a couple of occasions.

To be fair not a bad bloke to have a drink with I suppose but his grasp of English and basic facts were astonishingly poor

Good knows what representatives of foreign companies must have made of him.

I was sat two places away from him at a dinner and he was eating his lamb chops with one hand whilst mumbling into his mobile with the other!!

How on earth Prescott got to one of the highest levels in British Govt is beyond me

He was the champion of the left. He was only given high office by Blair and Brown to keep the left of the party / trade unions in check. A true union man through and through, oh and a hypocrite to boot.

lol, Prescott was "Old Labour".

If he was then he would have left the party when they edited Clause 4 you absolute ****ing ****pig ****wit

It's the same for all of them, new Labour does not represent the ideals the party was founded upon. Why don't you read a book once in a ****ing while?

If he was then he would have left the party when they edited Clause 4 you absolute ****ing ****pig ****wit

You need to calm down mate and leave the guy to make his mistakes. Don't fall for the troll.

I think we all, or most of us, knew what you meant!

** EDIT ** Why did a second, hitherto unseen line appear in my quote of TLS ?

Edited by EastleighSoulBoy
Explained at bottom

"Two Jags" represents all that the Labour party now stand for. A party that ditched all its principles in a grab for power, and then would do any thing and say anything to cling on to it.Groucho Marx could have been talking about Prescott and the rest of his new labour cronies, with his words "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others".

I quite agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread , the utterly fearless way you have all picked on this not-at-all easy or popular target is a credit not only to yourselves but to this site . Any suggestion that there may be an case of 'inverse snobbery' at its very worst being applied here is of course entirely out of the question .

When you think about it , how dare a overweight and sometimes inarticulate man who once had to actually work for a living take a place in the house of Lords ? Our esteemed & historic upper chamber was designed in antiquity solely as a place for our betters to quite literally 'lord it' over us , so seeing a low born (ex) member of the working classes there is an affront not only to natural justice but to all standards of common decency. I think we can all agree that it would have been much better for us all if a wealthy merchant banker , another aging industrialist , or even some popular media personality had been ennobled in his stead .

In future I propose that nobody should rise above their station in life or play any role in the governance of this great country based solely on the fact that they were once democratically voted into office by the common people of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland .

I quite agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread , the utterly fearless way you have all picked on this not-at-all easy or popular target is a credit not only to yourselves but to this site . Any suggestion that there may be an case of 'inverse snobbery' at its very worst being applied here is of course entirely out of the question .

When you think about it , how dare a overweight and sometimes inarticulate man who once had to actually work for a living take a place in the house of Lords ? Our esteemed & historic upper chamber was designed in antiquity solely as a place for our betters to quite literally 'lord it' over us , so seeing a low born (ex) member of the working classes there is an affront not only to natural justice but to all standards of common decency. I think we can all agree that it would have been much better for us all if a wealthy merchant banker , another aging industrialist , or even some popular media personality had been ennobled in his stead .

In future I propose that nobody should rise above their station in life or play any role in the governance of this great country based solely on the fact that they were once democratically voted into office by the common people of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland .

But Chapel, he dis-regarded his core beliefs; he was a man who stated categorically that he wantedto remove the HOL: It's nothing to do with where he comes from.

What are you prattling on about you loon? It's got nothing to do with the fact that Prescott comes from a working class background, but everything to do with the fact that he spent years railing against the house of lords and what a sham it was, claiming "I don’t want to be a member of the House of Lords. I will not accept it.” and forever scorning the "flunkery of titles".

Absolute hypocrite, and a moron to boot.

What are you prattling on about you loon? It's got nothing to do with the fact that Prescott comes from a working class background, but everything to do with the fact that he spent years railing against the house of lords and what a sham it was, claiming "I don’t want to be a member of the House of Lords. I will not accept it.” and forever scorning the "flunkery of titles".

Absolute hypocrite, and a moron to boot.

Thank you for this considered reply . Have you considered the possibility that he may have changed his mind , or do you see that as some serious flaw in a politician ?

As you are such an expert on this subject what is your take on John Prescott's intervention in the 1970's 'Cod War' with Iceland ? do you think that history has proven him to be correct or was he just a "moron" who happened to guess right on that complex and differcult issue ? As for your assertion that the flak he gets has nothing to do with his background , are you really arguing that the British class system is dead ? - if so you need to get out more .

I await your reply with interest .