Now it's the airport workers that are to vote on strike over pay

Redondo Saint

They had a pay freeze last year and want more than the offer from BAA.

Despite many firms losing money or barely breaking even in the all businesses, Unite think the offe is paltry!

Most people I know have not had a pay rise for 2 or 3 years and some have taken pay cuts, including me.

Funny how it's the summer holiday period and designed to screw up peoples holidays....

It's time Unite got in the real world. What a bunch cu*ts.

As long as they go on strike next week and the airports get closed so I can't get back from my holiday, I'm right behind them :D

After my post I thought bugger they might be on strike when I go away, but checked and BAA have nothing to do with Birmingham International so i'll be alright.:nod:

Despite many firms losing money or barely breaking even in the all businesses, Unite think the offe is paltry!

Most people I know have not had a pay rise for 2 or 3 years and some have taken pay cuts, including me.

Funny how it's the summer holiday period and designed to screw up peoples holidays....

The biggest bunch of ****s are those types in charge of companies such as Goldman Sachs (sp?) who get away with massive bonuses and as a company only have to fork out 1.2% of annual revenue as a fine for the latest scandel: and people wonder why Ive lost nearly all faith in capitalism. You can't blame them for wanting more money if they've had a pay freeze the year before.

The biggest bunch of ****s are those types in charge of companies such as Goldman Sachs (sp?) who get away with massive bonuses and as a company only have to fork out 1.2% of annual revenue as a fine for the latest scandel: and people wonder why Ive lost nearly all faith in capitalism. You can't blame them for wanting more money if they've had a pay freeze the year before.

Spot the deliberate mistake:

Wrong + wrong = right

It's quite impressive that you've managed to find a link, not matter how tenuous, between fat cat banking CEOs and an airport workers union. You can't justify an opinion simply by pointing out how ridiculous the polar opposite is. If capitalism is so bad, go live in China. Or Russia, it's working out fine for them and definitely didn't collapse in the late '80s and practically bankrupt the country.

Back on topic, I'm not sure what the workers earn so I can't really comment on whether it's fair or not. It's another big kick in the head for BA though. Not to mention distruption for Ryanair, Flybe and Easyjet. Just to clarify, BAA don't opperate all UK airports. It's only Heathrow, Stansted, Glasgow, Southampton and a couple of others. Flights from Gatwick and Luton should be fine.

The unions are there to protect the rights of it's members and provide an ally, without them companies can do pretty much as they please in regards to pay and terms etc which seems to have been what has happened to you, i for one would not accept a pay cut and i also know i am entitled to a pay rise, but then that is why i an unionised.

I have no idea what these people earn however i would imagine they deserve a pay rise etc.

You cannot tar all union strikes with the same brush and certainly cannot give an arguement such as 'i have not had a pay rise etc etc' as that is something that you have accepted, and fair play to you, just be careful as companies can have a habit of walking over employees that agree to anything.

The unions are there to protect the rights of it's members and provide an ally, without them companies can do pretty much as they please in regards to pay and terms etc which seems to have been what has happened to you, i for one would not accept a pay cut and i also know i am entitled to a pay rise, but then that is why i an unionised.

I have no idea what these people earn however i would imagine they deserve a pay rise etc.

You cannot tar all union strikes with the same brush and certainly cannot give an arguement such as 'i have not had a pay rise etc etc' as that is something that you have accepted, and fair play to you, just be careful as companies can have a habit of walking over employees that agree to anything.

Not true.

I am not tarring all unions with the same brush.

There are plenty of employment laws that protect the employee and employer.

I am at a very senior level at my company and everyone took a cut in order to protect our business. It's called taking the long term view.

A pay rise is not an entitlement.

I hope you won't start moaning when your holiday starts to cost you much more....

Utterly irrelevent.