Zero feedback bidders on ebay

Spudders

Just wondering why there seems to be so much hassel on ebay with people with no feedback bidding on things and then not paying?

I often see in peoples listings that they ask people with feedback of less then 10 to contact them first before bidding. I've just sold some stuff last week, auctions all ran out Wednesday and everyone has paid up and been sent their stuff already with the exception of 1 buyer who surprise surprise has 0 feedback and I have heard nothing from him/her.

Is it like a known thing, that people just set up accounts and bid on stuff with no intention of buying it just to mess people around?

Just wondering why there seems to be so much hassel on ebay with people with no feedback bidding on things and then not paying?

I often see in peoples listings that they ask people with feedback of less then 10 to contact them first before bidding. I've just sold some stuff last week, auctions all ran out Wednesday and everyone has paid up and been sent their stuff already with the exception of 1 buyer who surprise surprise has 0 feedback and I have heard nothing from him/her.

Is it like a known thing, that people just set up accounts and bid on stuff with no intention of buying it just to mess people around?

I'm a Silver Powerseller with TSS and I set up all my auctions/BIN with exemptions which anyone ebayer can do. Basically people can't bid unless they have a credit card on file and a paypal account or if they have more than two NPB strikes to their name amongst other things.

I now get about one non payer per 400 transactions.

I too sell on ebay and have done for quite some time - vinyl records and CD's are my thing. Although I have had one or two non paying buyers there were genuine reasons for it (according to them anyway) and it's not too much hassle to claim listing fees back or put in a NPB strike if you have to although personally I try to avoid that and put it down to people being people. However, in the vinyl world it seems there are a heck of a lot of NPB's bidding on reggae and ska records in particular, much more so than any other type of music. I don't know why - anyone also had experience of this ?

Remember though that once upon a time we all had zero feedback, you have to start somewhere. So I give them the chance to start a FB profile.

Further to my above reply, don't forget that at this time of year people are often away on holiday and may not have access to a PC - they maybe forget they have bid on something and can't complete the transaction until their return. Also, my brother had experience of a NPB, claimed his listing fee back from ebay and left really scathing negative FB. Turns out the buyer had been taken into hospital unexpectedly and couldn't complete the deal whist there. When he came out he emailed my brother and, by all accounts, was not a happy bunny about my brother's course of action.

So remember there sometimes are genuine reasons why you, apparently, may have a NPB.

You can set it up so that after 4 days a NPB dispute is open automatically and then after a set period, closed and the fees refunded into your account.

It also stops any NPB leaving neg' feedback for getting a strike.

If more sellers set up their preferences to block those with NPB strikes the whole system would be better and seperate the buyers from the dreamers.

Remember though that once upon a time we all had zero feedback, you have to start somewhere. So I give them the chance to start a FB profile.

True, but then as a new seller isn't that even more reason to ensure you get it right. If you have just opened an account and are bidding on your first ever item, you make sure you pay quick, etc so you do build up your feedback, start with some little items and build up.

Appreciate like you say people could be on holiday, there could be any number of reasons, but I dunno now weather to just strike him off and do a second chance to the next best bidder? Also this person could still leave me negative feedback I assume?

Personally I wouldn't bid on anything unless I was able to complete the transaction in a reasonable amount of time, although I guess what is considered reasonable differs from person to person.

I'm waiting for something I bought to arrive and I waited for just over a week before I chased the seller. Yet of the things I sold in the evening, I had one guy message me the next morning asking if I'd posted it yet, which I though was being a little impatient (not to mention that he had obviously missed my email telling him I'd be posting it at lunchtime).

It just appears to me that from the amount of people that specifically state on there listings they will not deal with people with low or zero feedback, there must be a real widespread problem, which just makes me wonder if it's kids doing it to mess people about, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sending abroad is no problem. Just make sure the item is sent "signed for" and with appropriate loss / damage cover if it's valuable. If not, don't worry about getting it signed for, get proof of postage and the item is covered up to £41.00. If the parcel gets lost, Royal Mail will instigate an investigation and pay up (minus the postal cost, as they will claim it's another courier that lost it!).

Just use Airsure and jobs a good un.

The only Western European country with genuine issues is Italy but ISF usually solves that problem.

I had dispute with an Italian i sold some stuff to a while back. The problem wasn't the postage, it was that I didn't send it until he'd payed me and he was moaning like **** when it hadn't arrived 2 days after he'd pay pal'd me the money.