Travellers in Romsey

Dave Benson Phillips

Personally I don't have a problem with real gypsy's because they are a part of the fabric of Britain and always have been. I can't stand the eco traveller types though as we've had them in my area and they cost the council thousands to clean up the mess they left.

Personally I don't have a problem with real gypsy's because they are a part of the fabric of Britain and always have been. I can't stand the eco traveller types though as we've had them in my area and they cost the council thousands to clean up the mess they left.

Well these pikies ( sorry, travellers ) have just broke in to someones field, sawing through their fence with a grinder, and now pitched up on his crops. Already costing thousands in damages.

But apparantly, according to Ponty, they are nice people and don't deserve the bad mouthing.

I implied that everyone should lock their valuables up... apparantly that's not acceptable... even though we all know they will be in the rob as soon as the sun goes down.

It's not acceptable, DBP. That's the way of the world. However, you should probably reread my post about it and then ask yourself whether the warning was thoroughly removed.

there was a small group/guy that used to turn up each summer near Belbins/Wynford with a nice authentic woodeny caravan thing and a nice fire etc, only there for a week or so this year with a puppies for sale sign...

Roasted or raw?

its the chavvy ones that do damage, whats the point of being "eco" and then smashing stuff up/ leaving rubbish?

:rolleyes:

Well these pikies ( sorry, travellers ) have just broke in to someones field, sawing through their fence with a grinder, and now pitched up on his crops. Already costing thousands in damages.

That's clearly wrong. We have gyspy encampment on the edge of my village and a lot of villagers were in uproar when they first "arrived". They purchased the paddock but didn't get planning consent which is wrong, but you have to remember that the proper gypsys have always moved around like this - it's their culture and they are as indiginous to this Isle as me and you, so I kind of support them. Assylum seekers come here and get a free council house, benefits - you name it, so it's pretty **** how people who have a history in this country can't live as they always have done. The gypsies have been on the edge of the village for about 2 years now - their kids go to the village school, and they are "good" gypsies. I emphasise the word "good" because you do get bad gypsies that will turn up and squat and who will steal. A few weeks back the matriach of the gypsies in my village tipped a local farmer off that some bad gypsies were planning to arrive on the bank holiday weekend (notice how they often arrive when the rozzers are on leave....) and this enabled brricades to be erected and the police to launch an operation. So you see they're not all bad - proper gypsies are alright. Unfortunately you seem to have aquired the ones we missed out on.

Edited by dune

It's the matted long hair swampy types i don't like.

My brother (stupidly) payed a load of 'travellers' £150 to tarmac his drive, (apparantly they had some left over after doing a drive down the road :lol:) suffice to say it was not a job well done :lol::lol::lol:

they dont leave a mess, they dont own anything with which to make a mess other than ganja

Dream on. They sh*t everywhere, leave their needles scattered everywhere, tie rope and hammer planks of wood to trees, chuck used nappies in bushes etc etc. I've seen a site where these peace man warriors have been evicted from and it was disgusting.

greenpetrolcanth.jpg

match.jpg

cigarsmoker.jpg

Dune, gypsies aren't British they are Romanies.

Went to Granada in Spain this year. They are famous for their Gypsies - flamenco and all that. Apparently back in the day they turned up from India. The Grandians wouldn't let the in the city (didn;t want the moat tarmac'ed) so they set up home in the caves. They are still there to this day.

Dont make jokes about swampy, may he rest in peace. He died of a heart problem just after the new year...............they offered him a bypass but her refused.

May I remind you that this is the Lounge. Or do those rules only apply to everybody else?

I don't know why Ponty tries to handle sensitive threads like this (which he does very well), when you come in and undermine the whole thing with flippancy.

Excellent!!! Has anyone got their number. I need some Llandi cutting down on the cheap:)

And I would like to place an order for some clothes pegs and lucky heather.

Should I give them my credit card number,pin number and security number off the back of the card when placing the order ?

Dream on. They sh*t everywhere, leave their needles scattered everywhere, tie rope and hammer planks of wood to trees, chuck used nappies in bushes etc etc. I've seen a site where these peace man warriors have been evicted from and it was disgusting.

i can picture you wondering around with a magnifying glasss and pipe lol

You can't say "Pikeys", DBP, it's racist.

Why can we refer to the Pompey lot as "Pikeys" without chastisement, when in reality they are probably no more "pikey" than you or me, yet when it is used in its proper context it is deemed racist.

It’s not even used to describe a race, the term is used to describe anyone who lives in a caravan or shares the same values and "culture" of "the travelling community", so it says here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pikey

I don't believe this story applied to British gypsies tbh. It wasn't that long ago that the moors were booted out so I don't buy it, or did they arrive before the moors?

From good old wiki

Origins

Main article: Origin of the Romani people

Linguistic and genetic evidence indicates the Romanies originated from the Indian subcontinent, emigrating from India towards the northwest no earlier than the 11th century. The Romani are generally believed to have originated in central India, possibly in the modern Indian state of Rajasthan, migrating to northwest India (the Punjab region) around 250 BC. In the centuries spent here, there may have been close interaction with such established groups as the Rajputs and the Jats. Their subsequent westward migration, possibly in waves, is believed to have occurred between AD 500 and AD 1000.