Saudis exempt women from veils in France

ART

Saudi clerics have today declared Muslim women exempt from wearing full veils in France. This comes following the French government overwqhelmingly voting to ban veil wearing in France.

However, because banning them is so un-British they will remain obligatory in the United Kingdom and elsewhere :rolleyes:

As mentioned in the previous thread. I know from first hand experience hardly any women want to wear the burkha. The burhka is forced upon women by oppressive husbands and fathers. It is these husbands and fathers that need to be dealt with, not the women.

Why do Saudi Arabia think they have the right to exempt people in France to do anything - bizarre.

I thinks that's precisely the point. It's a 'magnanamous gesture' because they know that their 'rule' about veils is only enforceable in particular countries but obviously not, now, in France. It saves their people from being at mercy of the French law or 'compromising' their own rules. It will be interesting to see what happens with the first court case as to whether the lady refuses to remove it on religious grounds or if her husband has told her to wear it. The court appearance itself will be more than interesting. In the back of my mind I'm wondering how long it will be before Brussels weighs in with their interpretation of things. A good old squabble between the E.C. and France?

Since when were veils 'obligatory' for all Muslims over here? I know several Muslims, many don't even wear anything on their heads.

Which is why the Saudis have come over all magnanamous. They may well be able to enforce some 'rule' in their own country, for their own people but they know they cannot do so abroad.

Edited by EastleighSoulBoy
Sp.!