How long will skates remain better side..

NickG

... and how long will it last?

For all the bitter rivalry the best, and only real comparison of who is the best side is the league position.

The first season I was alive for was 1966/67. Saints finished above skates.

They did so for the next 38 years - usually by a huge margin -several leagues etc.

In 2004/05 season, for the first time in my lifetime they snuck ahead finishing 4 places above us.

They have been ahead since, so for just 6 seasons in my lifetime.

They will clearly finish above us this year - maybe by only one place!

I think it will be the last time, in my lifetime.

7 short years.

Soon to be forgotten period.

How long do you think it will take for us to finish above them and do you think they will ever rival us again?

Us the blue Few 4-1 and don't you just know it! LOL

I don't normally bite, but in this instance it's quite funny. Let's have a look at the Pompey team who achieved aforementioned glorious victory:

James - Gone

Belhadj - Gone

Hreidarsson - Just turned 36

Diop - Gone

Utaka - Best hope he had a relegation wage cut clause in his £80kpw contract.

Mullins - Decent enough NPC player

O'Hara - Gone

Wilson - Who?

Yebda - Gone

Basinas - Gone

Dindane - Gone

Saints on the other hand have lost our 5th and 6th choice centre halves, Waigo and Antonio, from that game.

When I was growing up Pompey barely figured on my radar - i knew I was supposed to hate them but it's hard when they are so far removed from us. It wasn't until they got promoted that I really payed any attention to them and even then it was largely as a reaction to their hatred of us. I was surprised just how much they dislike us which is a bit silly really considering that the only basis is that we're their nearest geographical club to them but there it is. I do think a large section of them actually hate us and that's what characterises them for me; most of us only dislike them as a direct result of their attitude to us.

Frankly they're above us. Great, who cares? I care about as much as I do about Spurs or Bournemouth or any other club which is actually not at all. if I have any feeling at all it's that i wish they would stop this fixation with being better than us - over recent years that's hardly a benchmark for success, is it?

Over the past year I will admit that my feelings have changed a bit - the club has lied and cheated blantantly and blamed everyone else for their problems. I think they deserve to be liquidated.

aside from cup games, or form - most outsiders would say the higher league placed side is the better, so was talking about league finishes.

Most outsiders might indeed believe that, but then again not many of them would know the reality like us and the Skates. Although one could argue that the league position doesn't lie, one could counter argue that it doesn't tell the truth either. For example, it is still a possibility that they could be liquidated and find themselves re-emerging in the Blue Square South. Their league status isn't yet determined. Even in the Championship they have yet to kick a ball and for most of the season, if they play in that division, they might be just one place above us.

If they played us tomorrow, I have no doubt in my mind that we would beat them. Who was this American team that turned them over 4-0?

Most outsiders might indeed believe that, but then again not many of them would know the reality like us and the Skates. Although one could argue that the league position doesn't lie, one could counter argue that it doesn't tell the truth either. For example, it is still a possibility that they could be liquidated and find themselves re-emerging in the Blue Square South. Their league status isn't yet determined. Even in the Championship they have yet to kick a ball and for most of the season, if they play in that division, they might be just one place above us.

If they played us tomorrow, I have no doubt in my mind that we would beat them. Who was this American team that turned them over 4-0?

It wasn't the whole team. It was only 9 of them. At the end, anyway.