Moving out of Southampton

Golden Balls

I have just been given the opportunity of promotion at work, however it requires me to relocate to either Plymouth or Exeter (or somewhere inbetween)

Having never been to either of these places, does anyone have any recommendations as to which would best accommodate a 22 year old? What is that part of the world actually like?

Price?

Nightlife?

Shopping?

Crime?

etc.

Just general information from people who live/have lived in there area is appriciated.

Plymouth is probably better for a 22 year old although it is the west country's equivalent of portsmouth. Exeter is lovely but probably aimed a bit more at people in their later 20's early 30's, however it does have a Uni which is bound to be rammed full of young, innocent and gullible young ladies!

I have just been given the opportunity of promotion at work, however it requires me to relocate to either Plymouth or Exeter (or somewhere inbetween)

Having never been to either of these places, does anyone have any recommendations as to which would best accommodate a 22 year old? What is that part of the world actually like?

Price?

Nightlife?

Shopping?

Crime?

etc.

Just general information from people who live/have lived in there area is appriciated.

Shopping is s*it, the locals in Plymouth dress like a whole town modelling Primark gear. Its cheap though as there is no money down there, i've got a couple of customers down there who always moan about having to pay 'London Prices' for my companies services :lol::lol:

If you drive then I'm sure that there will be somewhere in that area of Devon to appeal?

Good luck and...don't stay away too long as there's a team here to support!

I do drive. In fact I get a company car which is rather nice.

The aim is to be there for around 2 years and then be promoted into a role closer to home. I already renewed my season ticket so I'll be back every weekend game to continue my support.

plymouth is a dump...plain and simple...very very grey after being rebuilt after the war..and nothing in terms of shopping etc like southampton..

however, it is cheaper to live in than southampton and there really are some fantastic places to go in devon and cornwall..

as a 22 year old...I would chose to live in plymouth...exeter is crud...simple as that..plymouth can be a great night out..much better than southampton

I for some reason have had 6 different mates who have gone and lived in Plymouth, all bar one of them are now back, saying what a dump the place is and how they feel isolated from the rest of the UK there.

We are very lucky in Southampton that we have Winchester, Eastleigh, Bournemouth, Salisbury and of course, Romsey, even P*rstmouth if it takes anyones fancy, which are all a reasonable taxi far from Southampton if you are looking for a change.

In Plymouth you have.... err.... Plymouth.

I for some reason have had 6 different mates who have gone and lived in Plymouth, all bar one of them are now back, saying what a dump the place is and how they feel isolated from the rest of the UK there.

We are very lucky in Southampton that we have Winchester, Eastleigh, Bournemouth, Salisbury and of course, Romsey, even P*rstmouth if it takes anyones fancy, which are all a reasonable taxi far from Southampton if you are looking for a change.

In Plymouth you have.... err.... Plymouth.

Or Exeter ??:lol:

as a 22 year old...I would chose to live in plymouth...exeter is crud...simple as that..plymouth can be a great night out..much better than southampton

This part is very important! Not just because I'm young and like a good drink, but the role at work I'm looking to take is in this field.

if you come to plymouth you will notcie quite a few exiled saints fans down here (mostly from the forces) and you would love the nights on the pop...very unique lol

I have been down to Plymouth a few times for Saints games or to visit some of the said 6 people. And I can honestly say it was a sh!thole. My last visit I remember walking round steaming at about 5 in the morning trying to find prostitutes.

Why don't the hookers in Plymouth work at 5am? C*nts.

Plymouth is full of Navy c*nts thinking they are the dogs nads and spending most of the night growling at civvys who are sniffing round 'their women' .

I have been down to Plymouth a few times for Saints games or to visit some of the said 6 people. And I can honestly say it was a sh!thole. My last visit I remember walking round steaming at about 5 in the morning trying to find prostitutes.

lol...it is a dump...some areas are nice but generally, just a dump..and the whores do work late, just have to know where to look...

Well, no matter how good/bad these 2 places are, it's very likely I will have to live in one of them.

With regards to the areas within the towns, are there any complete no go zones I should look out for when looking for a flat?

For example, if I was looking for a place in Southampton, I would know to completely ignore any place in Northam, Shirley Warren etc.

Well, no matter how good/bad these 2 places are, it's very likely I will have to live in one of them.

With regards to the areas within the towns, are there any complete no go zones I should look out for when looking for a flat?

For example, if I was looking for a place in Southampton, I would know to completely ignore any place in Northam, Shirley Warren etc.

in plymouth....north prospect, whitleigh, southway, PARTS of devonport...they are all on par with the warren I would say..

mutley is on par with the polygon, student everywhere.....

decent areas to live....Stoke, Manadon, Barbicon, Coxside, hoe, plympton, plymstock, weston mill, robrough, lee mill...all decent areas....

in plymouth....north prospect, whitleigh, southway, PARTS of devonport...they are all on par with the warren I would say..

mutley is on par with the polygon, student everywhere.....

decent areas to live....Stoke, Manadon, Barbicon, Coxside, hoe, plympton, plymstock, weston mill, robrough, lee mill...all decent areas....

...or pop over the bridge to Saltash?

...or pop over the bridge to Saltash?

yes..nice over there..I run to and from there when it is nice...trouble is, the bridge would wind me up...but then, it is cornwall..

torpoint is also over the water but that is basically one big marriage patch for the navy and serves the training base HMS Raleigh...stay away unless you are a naval family or inbred..

as said, generally, plymouth is a bit of a dump...thousands of (mostly) Navy and Marines in the city of about 250k. some of the locals are very odd and generally stupid...not the best for shopping...howver, there is much more to do than exeter, it is a cracking night out (much better than southampton) and you are right on the border with cornwall which is a fantastic part of the world...it is about 3 hour drive to southampton...

Edited by Thedelldays

Having lived in Exeter for nigh on 3 yrs, I'd say its many times better than Plymouth (I'm 25).

Its always grey in Plymouth, statistically twice as wet as Exeter there too (no I don't work for the MO)

You are a bit limited with nights out (in Exeter) but if you know a good group then its alright at the weekends.

With dartmoor and some decent surf beaches around the quality of life is pretty good (thats for both places)

Plymouth is quite a bit cheaper but you'll need the money you save living there to replace the teeth you've lost when some Janner has knocked em out.

They talk funny down that way too.

Avoid Torquay/Paignton like the plague.

yes..nice over there..I run to and from there when it is nice...trouble is, the bridge would wind me up...but then, it is cornwall..

torpoint is also over the water but that is basically one big marriage patch for the navy and serves the training base HMS Raleigh...stay away unless you are a naval family or inbred..

as said, generally, plymouth is a bit of a dump...thousands of (mostly) Navy and Marines in the city of about 250k. some of the locals are very odd and generally stupid...not the best for shopping...howver, there is much more to do than exeter, it is a cracking night out (much better than southampton) and you are right on the border with cornwall which is a fantastic part of the world...it is about 3 hour drive to southampton...

I would also point out that although areas of plymouth are ugly, a walk through the Barbican and along the Hoe waterfront is much more beautiful than anything Portsmouth, Southampton and even Exeter have to offer

I have only ever been to Exeter, and that was for the day. But have o say in my very short stya I was highly disappointed by it. I thought as a traditional old English cathedral city that it would be pretty and dare I say it 'quaint' but in reality it is none of them. It is realitvely small, unattractve (even the bits around the cathedral) and looks like there is nothing to do at all.

I have alos heard that Plymouth on the other hand is one of the uglisest places in England!

Having lived in Exeter for nigh on 3 yrs, I'd say its many times better than Plymouth (I'm 25).

Its always grey in Plymouth, statistically twice as wet as Exeter there too (no I don't work for the MO)

You are a bit limited with nights out (in Exeter) but if you know a good group then its alright at the weekends.

With dartmoor and some decent surf beaches around the quality of life is pretty good (thats for both places)

Plymouth is quite a bit cheaper but you'll need the money you save living there to replace the teeth you've lost when some Janner has knocked em out.

They talk funny down that way too.

Avoid Torquay/Paignton like the plague.

For me I would choose Exeter of the 2. Looks better, they have done loads to improve the city centre and the shopping aint bad there now. Night life is better in Plymouth by far as long as you can avoid the Navy folk and janner chavs.

Both have Uni's which improves the nightlife no end.

All the best surfing spots are north devon and cornwall but all do-able for a day trip.

I live in Torquay which suits me fine. I only go out in Plymouth or occasionally Exeter and can get to either in under 45 mins for a fiver on the train. I used to live in Ivybridge (S-Hole) and couldnt go out in Plym without a scrap. Those days are long gone though and it really is a good night out there now.

he who lives in "TORBADOS" should never comment.... ;)

edit - yes, plymouth was absolutely mental for trouble...however, believe it or not, the extended drinking hours helped to stop all that....the main "strip" all the bars shut at different times....and the police (both civvy and Navy) have zero tolerance....

I usually go out around the barbican anyway...cracking laugh, especially in the summer and crazy on bank hols...do venture down the famous union street from time to time

Edited by Thedelldays

he who lives in "TORBADOS" should never comment.... ;)

edit - yes, plymouth was absolutely mental for trouble...however, believe it or not, the extended drinking hours helped to stop all that....the main "strip" all the bars shut at different times....and the police (both civvy and Navy) have zero tolerance....

I usually go out around the barbican anyway...cracking laugh, especially in the summer and crazy on bank hols...do venture down the famous union street from time to time

LMAO.

TBH I like it here. Quite and no trouble. Laid back way of life that can only better be enjoyed in a place where there is also surf.

Cant really big Torquay up any more than that as there is bugger all here. lol

I worked in Plym for a few years and hated every single one of them. Love going out there and im usually raving it up in C103. Cant be doing with all the fake plastic's in some of the so called "hip" places to go. Im not a shirt and shoes kinda bloke lol.

But the extended hours defo helped allot. Plenty of places to go and depends on what kinda night you wanna have. somit for everyone there.

Exeter got a few places to go out but nothin like Plym.

Everyday Living I would still pick Exeter but going out it has to be Plym. Not a million miles away so easy enough to live in one and go out in the other.

I still like things a little quieter for every day living and dont fancy living in a city again. Which is why Tobados suits me down to the ground.

lol....C103 is pretty good...still has great line ups there now if you are into that....now that the dance Academy is long gone....

Oceana is pure crap here....full of wanna be knob heads...parts ofthe barbican is like that...saw BWP out here not so long ago (In lavish, used to be bar rhumba) trying it on with my mates wife...she just laughed and said if she was going to get it on with a footballer, she would at least go for one who is partially good...lol

however, you cant beat treasury, cider press, kitty o'hanlans, unions rooms then two trees and jesters...hahahahaha

jesters had a frikkin hot tub in there for a while lol

the biggest cattle market in the southwest.. - http://www.clubjesters.com/index.php?section=1

(take a gander at the legacy tab)

Edited by Thedelldays

lol....C103 is pretty good...still has great line ups there now if you are into that....now that the dance Academy is long gone....

Oceana is pure crap here....full of wanna be knob heads...parts ofthe barbican is like that...saw BWP out here not so long ago (In lavish, used to be bar rhumba) trying it on with my mates wife...she just laughed and said if she was going to get it on with a footballer, she would at least go for one who is partially good...lol

however, you cant beat treasury, cider press, kitty o'hanlans, unions rooms then two trees and jesters...hahahahaha

jesters had a frikkin hot tub in there for a while lol

the biggest cattle market in the southwest.. - http://www.clubjesters.com/index.php?section=1

(take a gander at the legacy tab)

Agree with all of that. Jesters is a nightmare. Lol

Oceana is sh ite everywhere. Lol

I'm a hard house ravey type so don't often catch me in poncey treasury. That's more my best mates kinda place cause he likes the plastic birds that go in there. Lol.

Barbican is nice till the plastics over run it. Really depends on what you want in a night out but Plymouth has pretty much got all options.

Exeter is quite nice, but have a think about Torquay. I worked in Totnes for a year and lived in Torquay, not too far to Exeter and Plymouth. It's a lovely part of the country and Torquay is always lively during the summer. Totnes is ok if you are a tree hugger, but the pubs are good and there is a "reasonable" nightlife.

Plymouth is full of Navy c*nts thinking they are the dogs nads and spending most of the night growling at civvys who are sniffing round 'their women' .

You obviously didn't get the message, they were hiding from you! :D

Agree with all of that. Jesters is a nightmare. Lol

Oceana is sh ite everywhere. Lol

I'm a hard house ravey type so don't often catch me in poncey treasury. That's more my best mates kinda place cause he likes the plastic birds that go in there. Lol.

Barbican is nice till the plastics over run it. Really depends on what you want in a night out but Plymouth has pretty much got all options.

how often to you come here..?

In truth, a location is what you make of it. Both Exeter and Plymouth are in a lovely part of the UK, i.e. the West Country. Don't overlook the fact that the best leisure activities might be just that, activities I mean, and not just places for getting alcohol down your neck. Make the best of your opportunity. It may never come again.

Must admit a lot of the nightlife in Plymouth has changed since a majority of clubs on union street have been closed. The 90's were great down there. And before I was 18 union street was the place to go.

Nowadays everytime I head back home Barbican is the place for drinks upto around 12 ish, certainly have no problems with trouble etc.

I have not been Oceana since it changed, used to be Destiny's, imo to far out of town (I am a lazy git).

As for location, Plymouth close to a very good few beaches, whitsand, bovisand, cawsand, bantham, bigbury, challaborough.

Then you have Dartmoor, Some good pubs up there, best for me is Warren Inn, near Two Bridges (close to Princetown). And some very good scenery :)

Plymouth has the places you want to avoid, like any major city. But as Delldays has said above, the locations are pretty good.

Ok, seems far from Exeter, but, get there in 30 - 45 mins on a good day.

how often to you come here..?

When ever there is a decent DJ on. Think the last time there was Lisa Lashes at C103. Seen quite a few there and before that Candy Store next door had a few top DJ's. Go down to Newquay when they got decent DJ's on too. Did RTTS this year and Whitby before that. Back in Newquay for Darren Styles on the 3rd August. Not sure when im out in Plym again though.

Couple of years ago we did the Mutly run followed by Barbican and then down to Union rooms via averywhere in between and then onto Candy Store. Finished off in the clipper with a navy mate who is in there all the time. Well always ends up in there anyway. lol.

Not my kinda pub but then I wouldnt go in most of the places that my navy mate goes. lol