Cameron says Turkey must join the EU

TopGun

For me to support the Turks joining the EU it would have to be on the conditions that freedom of movement doesn't apply - they have a massive population many of whom would flood into the UK if allowed, and that they get out of Cyprus.

WTF is Cameron on? Turkey would be a disaster. There are 77 million of them and who is going to pay for them? Their GDP per capita is USD 11,200 compared to the UK's USD 35,200 and EU average of USD 32,600. Not only that but the whole country apart from a small zit, is in Asia. And 99.8% of the population are Muslim (mostly Sunni) , which flies against the general make up of Europe.

WTF is Cameron on? Turkey would be a disaster. There are 77 million of them and who is going to pay for them? Their GDP per capita is USD 11,200 compared to the UK's USD 35,200 and EU average of USD 32,600. Not only that but the whole country apart from a small zit, is in Asia. And 99.8% of the population are Muslim (mostly Sunni) , which flies against the general make up of Europe.

I don't think the EU takes religious affiliation into account when considering applications for membership. And also I think Turkey actually has a very secular society.

There are 77 million of them and who is going to pay for them? Their GDP per capita is USD 11,200 compared to the UK's USD 35,200 and EU average of USD 32,600. Not only that but the whole country apart from a small zit, is in Asia. And 99.8% of the population are Muslim (mostly Sunni) , which flies against the general make up of Europe.

By 2024, Turkey's per capita income will climb to $20,000-25,000, claims the report. Turkey's per capita national income is expected to surpass $30,000 in 2033, and $40,000 in 2040, reaching the $60-65,000 level by 2050, adds Goldman Sachs.

The growth rates of the E7 bloc of emerging economies, which includes Turkey, China, India, Brazil, Russia, Indonesia and Mexico, will surpass those of the United States, European Union, G7 and the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, or OECD by 2050, the data revealed.

The countries including Turkey will catch up with the industrialized countries in 2025 and start to surpass them in 2030. The national currencies of the emerging markets, including Turkey, are also expected to gain 2 to 2.5 percent in value annually.

The one good thing that French President Sarkozy has said and done is that he would block any access of Turkey to the European Community. He means what he says and I'm flabbergasted to read Cameron's statements on allowing Turkey to enter. How they hell does he intend to do so by adding another 70 million unemployed to the community books? Disgusted.

The one good thing that French President Sarkozy has said and done is that he would block any access of Turkey to the European Community. He means what he says and I'm flabbergasted to read Cameron's statements on allowing Turkey to enter. How they hell does he intend to do so by adding another 70 million unemployed to the community books? Disgusted.

I have sneaky feeling this is just brinkmanship. BAE probably have some gear to sell.

I have sneaky feeling this is just brinkmanship. BAE probably have some gear to sell.

In the Times today one commentator suggested it was in Cameron's interest to sow the seeds of European disharmony and backing Turkey was a way to do it.

+1.

Hahahahahaha!! That is one in the eye for June - Now I've been to Turkey and I have to be honest I don't think they're ready for EU membership, poverty levels in some areas are appalling.

Sounds like Bulgaria and Romania.