David James

saint_stevo

This actually helps Pompey, they were due to pay out another months wages if he hadn't found another team before it was due.

Fair play to him though, he's obviously looking for first team football instead of just taking the highest wages.

It's quite funny really. If he'd gone to Celtic or Spurs, for example, the Phew would've had to accept it as a sensible career move. Some of them will struggle with the notion that Bristol City are much bigger than them! :)

This actually helps Pompey, they were due to pay out another months wages if he hadn't found another team before it was due.

Fair play to him though, he's obviously looking for first team football instead of just taking the highest wages.

That is if his signature gets on the paperwork before Saturday (or is it Sunday). He might agree to join Titties but if he signs his contract on Monday then he will be due the payment. Which is what I would do. Not sure many people give up £140,000 that easily.

He will get the Player/Manager role at the end of his contract, as a certain Prem manager is leaving a club at the end of the season and Coppell is stepping in. You heard it here first folks.

20 questions to get the name?

No.

I've heard that Steve Bruce is retiring from management at the end of the season and Coppell is lined up to take the manager's position at Sunderland, and there is a clause in David James' contract at BC that stipulates that he will be offered the P/M job if that happens.

Not true. Skysports confirms that the contract becomes active on 1st August (Sunday), thereby remaining out of contract for the entire month of July and shafting Pompey for an additional £140k, per this article.

I always liked the bloke :smug:

Quotes...

England keeper David James is set to become the biggest recipient in a bizarre salary structure. He will pick up about £140,000 from the club he turned his back on provided he does not sign for anyone else by Saturday night.

James passed a medical with Steve Coppell's side on Friday and his contract will become active on 1st August, allowing him to make his expected debut in City's season-opener against Millwall.

No.

I've heard that Steve Bruce is retiring from management at the end of the season and Coppell is lined up to take the manager's position at Sunderland, and there is a clause in David James' contract at BC that stipulates that he will be offered the P/M job if that happens.

Why would he retire? Doesn't really make sense, if there was some sort of reason he'd just do it now surely.

Why would he retire? Doesn't really make sense, if there was some sort of reason he'd just do it now surely.

My thoughts as well, but tbf he has been managing for over 11 years now, and played for a lot longer than that. He may want to take some time out to spend with his family or doing other things rather than football.