Speedway Thread

bungle

Well, we need to re-ignite the ever popular speedway thread.

The mighty Poole Pirates returned to the top of the league last night, with an 8 point win over previous league leaders Lakeside, but the week doesn't get any easier, with a visit to third placed Swindon. I am very much looking forward to the meeting this evening.

In other news, Hans Andersen had a big strop, and moved to Coventry.

Certainly not having the season he did last. Coventry not doing particularly well, but I'm not sure what the most up-to-date average is for Bomber as he hasn't ridden 6H and 6A meetings, so his Green Sheet Average is still only the 3H, 3A one of 7.73.

Poole romped to a fantastic 51-42 win at Swindon last night, to pull away at the top of the league. Bjarne got 11, with Holder and Zetterstrom getting paid 11 each, and Eriksson paid 10.

Certainly not having the season he did last. Coventry not doing particularly well, but I'm not sure what the most up-to-date average is for Bomber as he hasn't ridden 6H and 6A meetings, so his Green Sheet Average is still only the 3H, 3A one of 7.73.

Poole romped to a fantastic 51-42 win at Swindon last night, to pull away at the top of the league. Bjarne got 11, with Holder and Zetterstrom getting paid 11 each, and Eriksson paid 10.

I thjink to be fair that Bomber has had more than his fair share of knocks this season. Hardly a week seems to go by without him having a nasty! His tumble at the British GP was not good.

Poole are doing remarkably well this season without too many "star" names. "Noddy" has been a bit of a revelation this year.

In other news, Hans Andersen had a big strop, and moved to Coventry.

Think you will find that Anderson did not have a strop, he was hust owed £50k in wages an chose to leave, and rumour has it that the owner of Peterborough is looking to sell up but won't do it cheaply.

They may well end up folding.

Think you will find that Anderson did not have a strop, he was hust owed £50k in wages an chose to leave, and rumour has it that the owner of Peterborough is looking to sell up but won't do it cheaply.

They may well end up folding.

Peterborough were rumoured to be dropping down to the Premier League this season, and I can see them considering applying to drop down next season - they just don't seem to be able to survice in the EL.

However, in better news, there was a huge crowd at Swindon last night, and I'm told there were around 4,500 at Poole on Wednesday.

I watched speedway for the first time properly on Sky the other evening, and I have to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed it actually!

Don't act so surprised - it's an excellent sport, and as CF says, even better live. Speedway bikes accelerate quicker than F1 cars, yet have no brakes!

Don't act so surprised - it's an excellent sport, and as CF says, even better live. Speedway bikes accelerate quicker than F1 cars, yet have no brakes!

I remember seeing this dude come off his bike, it was laid on its side just ticking over (so he thought), he went over, stood it up and it shot off with him hanging on like superman. Was funny.

You want to go live, ive been to poole a couple of times and Weymouth once on holiday.

Its awesome.

Wightlink do an all-in-one ticket for the Isle of Wight "Islanders" speedway. Around £20 for return ferry fare, bus to the Smallbrook and entry to the meeting. Good deal I think.

Speedway is an excellent sport and HAS to be seen live for the noise, the smell and the excitement.

Wightlink do an all-in-one ticket for the Isle of Wight "Islanders" speedway. Around £20 for return ferry fare, bus to the Smallbrook and entry to the meeting. Good deal I think.

Speedway is an excellent sport and HAS to be seen live for the noise, the smell and the excitement.

have not been since it stopped in southampton , but the smell and noise will always be remembered.

What is the parking like at Poole

Awesome sport and the riders are nice guys who do it for the love of riding their bikes not the money. Refreshing change from football.

When you consider that they put their lives on the line each time that they race it`s incredible. Most top riders race in 3 leagues each week (UK, Poland and Sweden), 4/5 races a night, and have GP and World Cup commitments, they can race some times 4 or 5 evenings a week, on top of the travelling!

I have seen some horrendous crashes and injuries, but more often than not the guys get back on their machines and get on with it. The rewards are nowhere near as good as most professional sports so most do it for the love of the sport. I just wish that we could get it back in Southampton.:(

Poole draw at Coventry tonight in the firstleg of the KO cup semi. Returen match at home on wednesday, and with the scores level should be an easy win for Poole.

Injuries not withstanding it seems the pirates are hitting form just at the right time, and hopefully that will mean silverware in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what a great Saturday! Saints win at derby and Poole demolish the budgies at their place! That top spot is looking ever more within reach, and with two very winnable home fixtures this week theres no reason the boys can't secure it.

Another solid all round performance from the Pirates. With Lakeside having suffered some serious injuries to top riders, the league is now ours for the taking.

Still plenty of time for the same to happen to us though! Fingers crossed we had our bad luck at the start of the season.

Rumours have it that Lakeside have signed Rune Holta as cover, although I don't see how they'll fit him in as he surely can't come in on an assessed average.

I managed to get home in time to find a dodgy feed for the end of the GP. Bjarne had only scored 2 points before I started watching, but it was clearly me that got him into the semis.

Also, am I the only one that totally dislikes the way the GPs work currently, with individual race points counting towards the title? Much prefered the previous versions, has to be said, with points for the final positions. I used to like having the old 24 man field, where the top 8 automatically qualified for the 2nd stage, and the other 16 had to qualifiy for it. The meetings did used to last ages, mind.

Also, am I the only one that totally dislikes the way the GPs work currently, with individual race points counting towards the title? Much prefered the previous versions, has to be said, with points for the final positions. I used to like having the old 24 man field, where the top 8 automatically qualified for the 2nd stage, and the other 16 had to qualifiy for it. The meetings did used to last ages, mind.

No, your'e not. I preferred that set up as well. But there you go, they can't leave it alone.

Cup semi replay at Poole tomorrow, lets hope the boys make easier going of it this time!

Team changes made at Swindon, Alden replaces McGowan for the rest of the season...

McGowan has scored 1 point in the last 5 meetings

Poole may have the best team on paper, but its wide open and my money will remain on Swindon to win the Elite League

Alden, who had already been dropped by the Robins for underperforming?!

Also, Poole destroyed Swindon at Wimborne Rd last week, handing them their biggest defeat of the season. Three Swindon riders didn't score. Poole have won all 4 league meetings against Swindon this season. It looks like Swindon will have to go away to Poole in the play-off semi-finals. Rosco knows he is beaten. I will enjoy watching him get angry as he loses again to the mighty Pirates.

A nice 20 point win in the cup semi-final replay 1st leg this evening. Wonderful. Don't think I'm going to get a chance to go again now until the league semi-final, which I will be booking time off for.

Although I am considering Ipswich away on the 25th.

Good news! Davey hasn't broken anything. He'll miss Wednesday's meeting (hopefully can get Kasprzak in to guest?!), but should be back the following week for some random four team tournament!

I have booked time off work for semi-final and finals nights.

• 3 weeks later...