Southampton Pubs

Sour Mash

Cant shed any light myself, never having been in either, but I'm amazed this query hasnt produced any replies.

.......and I'm willing to do some research and get back to you;)

Planning on probably doing a pub crawl around there either pre or post match early season, something a bit different from our usual, will give them a go anyway. Yeah, though it would get more of a response, lack of pub/bars information/debate on here in general......

I think I've been in them but can't remember the details.;-) Walk a little further and go to The Platform Tavern, I can recommend that.

Cheers, yeah I know the Platform Tavern is a good spot, just weren't too sure about the others around there. Best way to find out is to try them I guess!

the White Star is probably the most expensive pub pint in Southampton. Very nice though if you don't mind paying a little extra. Right opposite is the Grapes, which is usually quite busy on a match day before a game as it has lots of TV screens. You've also got the Court Jester round the corner (no TVs in there mind).

Cheers gents, most appreciated. The White Star does look a bit more of a restaurant than a pub, might give it a go for an early evening/post match beer, definitely going to give the Duke of Wellington a try though.

While I'm on the subject of pubs, anyone know how busy the Chapel Arms normally gets before games?

While I'm on the subject of pubs, anyone know how busy the Chapel Arms normally gets before games?

Very, plenty of room on the pavement outside though!

BTW, I haven't been in the Duke of Wellington in Bugle Street for years, but the chap who used to own it upped sticks and opened the Wellington Arms in Park Road, Freemantle, which is a cracking pub.

Edited by Trader

I'd like to expand upon the original Question. I've been at University in Liverpool for the last 3 years, and thanks to the cracking nightlife up there, I've lost my feel for the nightlife down here. Can anybody reccoemnd any 'good' Bars and Clubs (I know it's a loose term, but basically not Pikon and/or darts and farts places) in Winchester and Southampton? BTW, anything in the last 3 years that has sprung up will be 'new' to me.

I'd like to expand upon the original Question. I've been at University in Liverpool for the last 3 years, and thanks to the cracking nightlife up there, I've lost my feel for the nightlife down here. Can anybody reccoemnd any 'good' Bars and Clubs (I know it's a loose term, but basically not Pikon and/or darts and farts places) in Winchester and Southampton? BTW, anything in the last 3 years that has sprung up will be 'new' to me.

I think thats difficult to answer personally. Been out so many times that I find myself a little jaded by the pubs/bars in Soton but dont mind Winchester due to hardly going there. Do like the bottom end of town where the White Star has been mentioned. To be honest being away for 3 years probably hasnt made much difference as all teh places are the same as they were. A couple of new bars in Bedford place and couple more have had name changes.

Yuzo (was the Wine bar) isnt too bad. Hogshead isnt too bad for pint but avoid Yates at all costs! Then there is Orange Rooms/Little Buddha. To be all honest its all the same but only good depending on the people your out with.

Actually if you want to start off just out of the centre - could try the Trago Lounge in portswood not a bad cafe/bar/lounge. Walk up the road to teh Varisty for a cheeky one before going up to Mango Thai's Tappas bar and then just follow the road into town!

Edited by Johnny Shearer

Don't bother with the White Star ******

Go Red Lion, Platform Tavern, Grapes, sir admiral lucius curtis used to be Cork and Bottle entrance to Ocean Village then a quick pint in the Chapel Arms, then hip flask onto the ground

Cheers. The Grapes reopened and running ok now? Think it was closed/had problems not too long ago?

I think thats difficult to answer personally. Been out so many times that I find myself a little jaded by the pubs/bars in Soton but dont mind Winchester due to hardly going there. Do like the bottom end of town where the White Star has been mentioned. To be honest being away for 3 years probably hasnt made much difference as all teh places are the same as they were. A couple of new bars in Bedford place and couple more have had name changes.

Yuzo (was the Wine bar) isnt too bad. Hogshead isnt too bad for pint but avoid Yates at all costs! Then there is Orange Rooms/Little Buddha. To be all honest its all the same but only good depending on the people your out with.

Actually if you want to start off just out of the centre - could try the Trago Lounge in portswood not a bad cafe/bar/lounge. Walk up the road to teh Varisty for a cheeky one before going up to Mango Thai's Tappas bar and then just follow the road into town!

Thanks, much Appreciated. I'm surprised to see that everything's more or less the same, though haven't been to Yuzo in it's current incarnation, or vistied the Trago Lounge, so I will try those out. Do you know if the place with the rooftop ****tail bar near Bedford place is still going? I can't remember the name, it changed around 4 years ago I think.

Ha, yeah thanks for that! Take it the London doesn't become a "normal" pub on match days?

It's not as busy as the other pubs on matchdays but there are always Saints fans in there and no fear of waiting for ages to get served. The London is one of the best venues for a night out in town regardless of your sexual orientation. FACT.

Thanks, much Appreciated. I'm surprised to see that everything's more or less the same, though haven't been to Yuzo in it's current incarnation, or vistied the Trago Lounge, so I will try those out. Do you know if the place with the rooftop ****tail bar near Bedford place is still going? I can't remember the name, it changed around 4 years ago I think.

Indeed it is. Revolutions I think its called. Name has changed a few times, can never remember! The rooftop is nice actually on a hot day with plenty of student birds around! 90s opposite isnt too bad but I can't stand places where people are so pretentious.

Yuzo is recognised by the the Jackie Chan absolute double at the door - dont mess with that bouncer!

Pubs down there are pretty good, live in Mistral (Ocean Village) myself now and enjoy popping into The Grapes, although avoid White Star. Bit ****y for pre-football. The Wetherspoon's at the top of Ocean Village is alright as well, usually a few in. If you are feeling really experimental you could always venture round to the Pitcher and Piano (directly opposite my flat) gets a bit WAGGY at times, but does a cracking pint of Peroni, and it is only a 15 minute stroll to the ground.

On that note, without sounding like a sack. My old man has dumped me for this season's games, he's given up his season ticket, so going solo to the games now. So if anyone else is at a loose end for a drinking partner in town on Saturday before the game, let me know. Saints related banter and beer required.

Edited by CitySaint

• 3 weeks later...

As we normally have my 8 year old nephew with us does The Red Lion allow kids in without having a meal do you know? This is our problem with the Giddy Bridge (Wetherspoons). The ale's great but children can only go in if they have a meal. Think Queen Alex only allows adults and although the Pensioners will let us in for a drink without a meal when the lad is with us it's Greene King there and not much else which is a bit disappointing.

As we normally have my 8 year old nephew with us does The Red Lion allow kids in without having a meal do you know? This is our problem with the Giddy Bridge (Wetherspoons). The ale's great but children can only go in if they have a meal. Think Queen Alex only allows adults and although the Pensioners will let us in for a drink without a meal when the lad is with us it's Greene King there and not much else which is a bit disappointing.

Yeah the only time I've seen kids in there is before Saints games. Usually on the pool tables. I'm 99% sure you wouldn't have to order a meal for them to come in so long as you're having a drink. The new landlord there seems to be pretty easy going.