Coventry

scott_saints

Coventry is awful. The ground is in the middle of nowhere, with no pubs anywhere near it. It is probably my least favourite place in the country to watch football. It is a waste of a day out.

There are a few pubs on Longford Road which are quite alright. There is also the Cherrytree club just down the road (the other side of Tesco car park at the end of Lythalls lane) and other pubs a few minutes walk of the Ricoh the opposite side of the A444.

It is a few miles from the city centre, but to say it's in the middle of nowhere is a little unfair. (That it is a 5 minute taxi ride from my own house also helps!:D)

If you want a good pub for Ale try Whitefriars in the city centre. If anyone wants any further advice on a good pub do drop me a line. If you're driving do stay clear of the residential streets in the vicinity of the stadium as all cars need permits.

Edited by Colinjb

Anyone know the best way from the station to the Ricoh? Looks like a bit of a trek on on Google Earth, has anyone tried it? Guessing there are busses, any idea how often?

Thanks in advance.

"Coventry train station is about three and half miles away from the stadium and really is too far to walk. There is a shuttle bus that operates from the bus station to the Tesco/Arena stadium complex. It departs every 10 minutes and costs £3 return (for adults), otherwise jump in a taxi"

Coventry is generally a rubbish away day, sadly. The stewards there are a bunch of ****s.

The pub that crosses as an Indian restaurant is alright, the food was pretty good last season, but apart from that there's not really a lot of choice as most of the pubs are home-only.

Yep, good shout Steve. Worth mentioning it also has parking available.

Anyone know the best way from the station to the Ricoh? Looks like a bit of a trek on on Google Earth, has anyone tried it? Guessing there are busses, any idea how often?

Thanks in advance.

It would take a very long time. Just get a Taxi. I've walked from the Ricoh to the City centre in an hour 20 minutes before.

Who's going then?

Going with 4 others. We wanted to go by train but the price took the p1sh!!

Bingo bus it is. Aslong as there's enough time for pre match beer then it'll do!

Any recommendations for decent pubs??

You might aswell stay at home and watch it in the pub and get ****ed.

And save money for a better away day, if you're planning on a good day out etc.

Coventry is awful. The ground is in the middle of nowhere, with no pubs anywhere near it. It is probably my least favourite place in the country to watch football. It is a waste of a day out.

Totally agree with you there. It's a long walk from the pub and you risk getting lost and arriving late like some people did on saturday :-)

I'm entertaining the idea of going but agree with the consensus - crap day out in a bit of a hell hole.

Swansea I'm looking forward too - if anyone is thinking of going on the train you can save about 30 quid each by buying a cheapo ticket to Reading, then a group saver to Swansea.

Yea we are going by train what's the cost then ? return

I'm entertaining the idea of going but agree with the consensus - crap day out in a bit of a hell hole.

Swansea I'm looking forward too - if anyone is thinking of going on the train you can save about 30 quid each by buying a cheapo ticket to Reading, then a group saver to Swansea.

Are you still in Swindon? I'm now thinking of going, but don't want to go by train as it's miles from the ground.

I am going to get crucified for this but last season I was feeling so ill I didnt get to the curry pub so went to the Shopping Mall next to the ground instead and would thoroughly recommend it for shopping. :-)

Shame on you. You let the side down going shopping and it showed in the teams performance with the lack of alcohol influenced support :-)

Depends where you're going.

(One assumes you were referring to thinking about going to Coventry, and therefore also might have thought about what time you might be wanting to get there.)

I have thought about going, but as mentioned I don't particularly want to go by train. Henceforth, I have not consulted the train timings. I guess I would want to get there sometime between 1 and 2.

I have thought about going, but as mentioned I don't particularly want to go by train. Henceforth, I have not consulted the train timings. I guess I would want to get there sometime between 1 and 2.

If it's only for the reason that the station is miles from the ground, I may consider offering to pick you up. Unless you have any other valid reason for not wanting to get the train, which would render my offer pointless anyway.

Yea we are going by train what's the cost then ? return

About a tenner to Reading, then if you get a group four saver to Swansea it's another 30 each. Quite a saving as if you were to purchase an independent straight return to Swansea it's 70 English Sterling each.

just checked on thetrainline.co.uk and it says £226 for four tickets, sounds really steep to me. Any ideas if that sounds about right?

nvm, Nationalrail website says £156 for four, a bit more reasonable at least.

If you have a network card, try return to Banbury using card, then a return from Banbury to Coventry.

Price using this option from Salisbury £31.50