Creating a new saints forum

hypochondriac

I hope it's OK to post this here. I don't want to compete with this forum, it would just be nice to have something to complement it in much the same way that theuglyinside does. Obviously it would be a hell of a lot smaller than here. I'm seriously considering it and have a domain name. Am prepared to pay a little bit and am basically just looking here to see if anyone wants to help me.

If you fancy getting involved then send me a PM.

I don't see how the UI "complements" this site. How would your site "complement" SWF? Would it be saints related - because if so, it would seem that would be "competition" rather than "complementing".

Anyway, yes, I am happy to help out. I will be chief mod.

So far:

Hypo - Admin/owner

WS - Chief mod

What other roles do we need?

probably another 4 mods, to work directly under my control

Maybe a social secretary?

Advertsiing and merchandising director?

I really used to laugh during the whole of my lunch breaks on the old Saintsforever forum, there really were some great posters and everyone used to have a laugh and be able to mock each other, with it all being taken in good spirit. Sadly things are not the same now, but it has to be questioned as to why that is? What did Keith do that was different from the approach on this forum?

I would suggest that the approach taken wasn’t much different (if at all). So if that’s the case, then what is different?

My opinion (for what it’s worth) is that we are currently in a situation where a small group of posters have become the main contributors to the forum. I don’t know the stats, but I bet that only maybe 5% of posters make up 70% of the posts?

It’s clear there are another group of posters that used to post on a regular basis but can’t be bothered now for various reasons.

I would also suggest that there are another group of members that have never bothered to contribute much for some of the same reasons that previous regular posters don’t post any more.

The main problem as I see it, is what happens once you start your new forum? Does it become for a select group only, where membership is limited? Or is it open to anyone, in which case I’d guess that you would eventually end up with exactly the same situation as we currently have on here where the same people would join up to either contribute or to stir.

A key problem on this forum is a lack of respect. We can’t expect the mods to just ban people for expressing their opinions in the way they do, as the point of the forum is that everyone can have their opinion and it will often be different to that of many other posters.

In my opinion I don't think we need another forum, but we do need a few things to happen.

Key posters

We need some of the key posters on this site to take a good look at themselves and think a bit more about the things they post and the way in which they respond to each other posts. In society generally respect seems to be disappearing and that’s reflected on here as well at the moment. Maybe it’s time that people thought a little more about what they say and how they say it.

Old posters that can no longer be bothered to post

If all these ‘good posters’ started making an effort to post again, then we start to get back to where we want to be don’t we?

New contributors

Likewise we need some of the people that don’t usually get involved for fear of getting abused to take that leap and start contributing a bit more.

Hopefully if everyone makes an effort we can get back on track. This is a great forum and it’s up to us all to ensure it doesn’t go down the pan like Saintsforever eventually did.

Edited by Spudders

These things nearly never work and 9/10 eventually turn into a dead site once the initial enthusiasm has worn off. The thing with the internet is that it is social and people want to be where people are, so in the end only one site actually ends up being any good, because that is where the people are. This is regardless of how many features a site has.

Please, guys, can we keep on topic here.

Me and Hypo appreciate your contributions to the thread and we are genuinely interested in what you have to say, but the new site that we're setting up is not about getting old posters back or anything like that. We just want a site that complements this one. All we're asking for are volunteers. There are some key roles that need filling and if you want in, then now is the time to say. at least 4 mods positions are going and some other important roles as well.

Me and Hypo will discuss the idea of limiting posts on our new forum, to stop any one individual from dominating.

Its good to see Wiltshire Saint back.

The new site would be good if we could have some decent banter on it ? Thats what we need IMO, not the threat of infractions if you disagree with someone.

Disagreements we're fine with, it's how you express them that we sometimes take issue with

Disagreements we're fine with, it's how you express them that we sometimes take issue with

Are you saying that there are times that i do not express my opinion in a decent way ?

Problem is at times i think that the banter some get is taken as abuse etc and takes some of the humour away, personally i can take the flak, and wouldn't report unless in extreme cases. Perhaps some of the disagreements etc should just have infractions handed out if the offended sends a report ?

Always felt that certain supporters on here hated to see a united fan base. I'd like to see anyone who is capable of putting in an ounce of the effect and work that Baj and others put into running Saints forums. Go off and create and divide, and hopefully this forum will be a better place when you complement Ulgies. Hahaha! Come back Norm, it'll soon be safe to post on here again!

How about a forum where at the end of every argument everone gets to vote to say who won and then when it's proven whoever lost, Alpine has to post a photo of his genitals. Also whoever won, or voted, or ever logged on.

that's a good idea.

We could also have a multiple choice question that the answer is texted in £1 a pop, for say a prize of a match ticket. The questions would be hard like they do on the ITV shows 'A banana split has what fruit in it?'

a)Apple

b) Pineapple

c)Banana

Of course most on here would be able to Google the answer of that one, and so we would have to make it a bit more obscure