Why has my cat taken to ****ing everywhere?

Suhari

I've got 2 cats: boy and girl, bother neutered, 6 years old, had them for 5.5 years. A leftover from the ex-girlfriend. They are 'rescue cats' so pretty timid, but manageable.

Never had any problems with them crapping or ****ing in the house. Well, I didn't......

2 weeks ago one of them took a pee just inside the front door; very unusual and out of character. Few days later there was pee on the bathroom mat. Today I find my trainers have had the treatment, as has a jumper that was sat on the side in the living room.

5 minutes ago I looked round from an FM10 session, and the male cat is gleefully spraying **** all over my bookshelf. (Admittedly there was an unread John Grisholm on the shelf, so it might of been a literary comment......)

Any cat owners offer some advice? Don't think he's sick: eating well, seems happy. Plus, I didn't think a neutered cat would have the urge to 'spray'.

Decided not to take him to the vet because:

1. He's completely 'himself' (aside from ****ing yesterday: no repeat perfomances today): still eating and acting the same; chasing his sister; sleeping on my lap; being a tart for cat-treats. Seems happy enough

2. It's a bugger to catch the little sod and he finds the trauma of a trip to the vet terrible (always ****s himself in the car): hard work having a 'rescue cat'

3. I'm lazy

Today he has been fine: perhaps more chilled than usual, but then I've just got one of those plug in pheromone things.

So, I think he'll get through it okay. I didn't even kick him after the game today.

The Grisholm novel he ****ed on is ****ed though.