Malta

Saint Charlie

Mdina - ancient, walled, ex-capital. No cars.

Craft village on the way to Mdina

Mosta - 3rd largest domed church in the world (unless surpassed)

Valletta - The capital. Check out 'The Monte' outside the walls on a Sunday morning.

Blue Grotto - get the boat from the old fishing village at Wied Iz Zurrieq

Ghan Tuffeha - Ancient settlements & Caves

HTH

Thinking of staying in Gozo too for a couple of days. Have you been there ESB?

Sorry for jumping in! I've been to Gozo but only for a day It's very quiet but very beautiful. There's a hotel there next to a beautiful lagoon but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.

ESB will know for sure!

I went to Malta in my Uni days to do some work. Must admit, my expectations were poor, but it's actually a really nice place. It's not for people who like beaches, because there are few, but if you like guaranteed Sun, warmth, interesting surroundings, and a vibrant capital city, in Valetta, that's as pretty as they come, then you won't be disappointed. Thankfully, nobody has mentioned the Popeye village, built location for the film, but there is Marsaxlokk, Mellieha, and don't forget Gozo, by ferry.

I'd almost call it a tiny Crete, without the beaches.

Hello :)

Yes, my Mum lives up in Qawra, one of the touristy towns on the island's north coast.

If you want to avoid clubs do not stay at Paceville/St Julians. It's the night life centre for the island and can get quite rowdy.

Qawra is good, lively enough to enjoy but not so loud for it to be too much, many bars/restaurants. etc. Buggiba is the ajoining town to Qawra and is a bit like Blackpool in the med. If you want a holiday with all the brit trimmings it'll do you proud!

Don't worry about transport, the buses are excellent and conveneint, you can cover the island from end to end in less then 45 minutes.

Based on what you are asking for try looking for Hotels in Mellieha bay, Qawra (NOT Buggiba) and Valetta. There is an awesome hotel in Mdina called the Xara Palace, referenced further up the thread if you have the cash, it's stunning.

Sorry for jumping in! I've been to Gozo but only for a day It's very quiet but very beautiful. There's a hotel there next to a beautiful lagoon but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.

ESB will know for sure!

I have only stayed overnight in Gozo the once, back in '63. All other trips were by small boat, with picnics etc. I cannot remember much at all about Gozo.

Comino, the small isle between Malta & Gozo, is great for swimming, snorkeling etc. with fairly deepish water straight off the rocks.

St. Landrew gives a few more places of interest.

Oh! and hold your nose as you drive through Salina, past the salt beds.

We went to the WW2 museum at Fort St Elmo, and found ourselves following a coach load of German tourists - quite amusing in a way as most of the exhibits seemed to be photos of Axis air raids and bits of stukas that had been shot down.

I would advise to take the buses if at all possible; unless they have vastly improved the roads in the last few years, driving can be an 'experience'.

We went to the WW2 museum at Fort St Elmo, and found ourselves following a coach load of German tourists - quite amusing in a way as most of the exhibits seemed to be photos of Axis air raids and bits of stukas that had been shot down.

I would advise to take the buses if at all possible; unless they have vastly improved the roads in the last few years, driving can be an 'experience'.

It used to be the case that roundabouts had different priorities to ours i.e. vehicles entering the roundabout had priority over vehicles already on the roundabout. Caused me a few hairy moments, I can tell you :D

It used to be the case that roundabouts had different priorities to ours i.e. vehicles entering the roundabout had priority over vehicles already on the roundabout. Caused me a few hairy moments, I can tell you :D

I believe the Maltese drive in the shade also.

That's what one of my uncles told me.

I spent 3 weeks in Malta but stayed in Sliema which is away from the main tourist center in Valletta. Take care if driving or taking taxis. They drive like maniacs and the word stop, slow down isn't in their vocabulary. I recall that Paradise Bay was really beautiful and the historical, religious side to their culture is second to none. In many ways it's the Mediterranean coastal countries represented in one small area. The women are hot and can be extremely beautiful. I left my heart there many years ago and guess it's still to be found there somewhere. My visit and the impressions it left on me was what sealed my career, my future.

I spent 3 weeks in Malta but stayed in Sliema which is away from the main tourist center in Valletta. Take care if driving or taking taxis. They drive like maniacs and the word stop, slow down isn't in their vocabulary. I recall that Paradise Bay was really beautiful and the historical, religious side to their culture is second to none. In many ways it's the Mediterranean coastal countries represented in one small area. The women are hot and can be extremely beautiful. I left my heart there many years ago and guess it's still to be found there somewhere. My visit and the impressions it left on me was what sealed my career, my future.

Ninsab k u n t enta gustado Malta daqshekk!

Edited by EastleighSoulBoy
Imdemmi naħlef filtru!

I was born in Malta at the Royal Navy hospital in Mtarfa.

I spent almost 13 years at sea on RN ships back in the late 70s and all through the 80s - visited countless countries around the world - but never went (back) to Malta in all that time - strangely enough.

So, three years ago, decided to have a week's holiday there - just to see where I was born & as I'd heard nothing but good things from all who'd been there.

Fabulous place! The people are amongst the friendliest I've ever met - and there is lots to see and do. We hired a car for the whole week; went to Gozo for the day; boat trips to caves & the 'blue lagoon'; the WW2 museum; wonderful seafood/fish restaurants (my favourite); cheap food & drink; many sites & places to visit - including the glass-making factory near to where I was born.

I hope to go back next year - which I will. I have 2 birth certificates; one British and the other obviously Maltese. To be honest; I could quite easily see myself ending my days exactly where I started them!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

This is the review I wrote for the Cavalieri Hotel in St Julians. I had a great time there.

A large modern hotel down the end of a residential street, The Cavalieri overlooks St Julians and Balluta bay to the South and a private marina to the north.

From the tastefully furnished reception and lounge area, complete with dozens of leather couches, the Cavalieri is bright airy and welcoming. The lounge area overlooks the outdoor pool and jacuzzi area and is a veritable sun trap.

The rooms are all well furnished, each with two queen-sized beds, wardrobe, desk and chest of drawers with telephone, satellite TV and, most importantly of all in the hot summer months, air conditioning. There is a small balcony to each room with chairs for soaking up the sun. All rooms have a sea view.

The restaurant on the lower ground floor serves buffet-style meals. There is a very good choice of food for everyone but it is advisable to arrive earlier rather than later as some of the food tends to get a little tired after sitting over a bain-marie for a while.

I was a solo traveller but I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone, be they couples or families as all the staff are friendly, greeting all the guests individually.

Transport infrastructure around the area is excellent; plenty of buses to Valletta and points south, and they run until 3AM in summer. In fact the buses run every day of the year, stopping only for a lunch-break on Christmas and New Years days. One word of advice. Avoid driving in Malta unless you are a masochist. Even if you manage to find your way somewhere (lack of road signs in Malta is notorious) and fight off the lunatic drivers trying to drive between the cars or the wrong way up one way streets or the potholes taking your wheels off, it will all still have been a waste of time as there is nowhere, ever, to park a car in Malta.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area for those wishing to eat out and the clubbing area of Paceville a few minutes walk. Lots of local bars from typical British pubs to up-market wine-bars are liberally sprinkled around.

After your evening out, stop at one of the many pastizzerias and pick up a cheese, mushy pea or chicken pie to soak up the alcohol. Cheap, filling and a good way to end a great night out.

Stay in valleta and the three towns close , lots of culture there. also go to medina well worth a visit and the towns nearby

make sure you go on the local buses they have lots of history as well. and they all arrive and depart from a huge terminus near the entrance to the walled part of vallleta Oh the food is disappointing avoid the rabbit!

Hello :)

Yes, my Mum lives up in Qawra, one of the touristy towns on the island's north coast.

If you want to avoid clubs do not stay at Paceville/St Julians. It's the night life centre for the island and can get quite rowdy.

Qawra is good, lively enough to enjoy but not so loud for it to be too much, many bars/restaurants. etc. Buggiba is the ajoining town to Qawra and is a bit like Blackpool in the med. If you want a holiday with all the brit trimmings it'll do you proud!

Don't worry about transport, the buses are excellent and conveneint, you can cover the island from end to end in less then 45 minutes.

Based on what you are asking for try looking for Hotels in Mellieha bay, Qawra (NOT Buggiba) and Valetta. There is an awesome hotel in Mdina called the Xara Palace, referenced further up the thread if you have the cash, it's stunning.

I would echo the Qawra suggestion. Stayed there twice in an apartment overlooking the bay. Lovely place. Close to Bugibba but a far cry from the tourism.

Oh and the buses are mental out there!

Don't go the St Julians it's full of Newcastle supporters with their shirts off.

Valetta is cool but expensive.

You're unlikely to be able to stay in Mdina but definately go there (I was the best man at a wedding in the cathedral there earlier this year, it's incredible)

Try to get to as many differing places as possible as they're all just that, very different.