Bulk kidney beans and other pulses

1976_Child

Does anyone know where one can buy bulk amounts of dry kidney beans and other pulses and nuts?

I've seen a few website but the maximum amount I can find is 5kg. I'm looking at about 50kg minimum.

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to get my 'deep pantry' sorted out so I always have at least 6 month's of non-perishable food stored away in case the economic/political sh!t really hits the fan (which I strongly suspect will happen over the next few years).

Any ideas greatfully received.

Does anyone know where one can buy bulk amounts of dry kidney beans and other pulses and nuts?

I've seen a few website but the maximum amount I can find is 5kg. I'm looking at about 50kg minimum.

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to get my 'deep pantry' sorted out so I always have at least 6 month's of non-perishable food stored away in case the economic/political sh!t really hits the fan (which I strongly suspect will happen over the next few years).

Seriously?!

BTW, I am also expecting another economic downturn, possibly revisiting the lows of March 2009.

It will be led by the US (as always)

We are at least attempting to address the debt crisis, Obama is doing nothing, and a double-dip looms.

Sell stocks and invest in short ETFs as soon as the inevitable looks inevitable.

At the very least just get out of stocks.

Seriously?!

Yup.

And the fact that you seam so incredulous just goes to show how out of touch we are in the West. Only two generations ago many families in rural England would lay in several months worth of food for winter. Lots of pickling and fruit-drying etc. Now we rely on a just-in-time supermarket logistic setup. Do you remember when the fuel protest happened in 2000 (might have been 2001)? The supermarket bosses actually went to Downing Street to tell the PM that there was a serious threat of running out of food everywhere. Stores only carry enough stock for about 3 days of normal trade. If there is a rush panic the supermarkets could be stripped bare in a matter of hours.

I am not being complacent. There are serious tensions in many key areas of concern at the moment and just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. Preparation is the key.

BTW, I am also expecting another economic downturn, possibly revisiting the lows of March 2009.

It will be led by the US (as always)

We are at least attempting to address the debt crisis, Obama is doing nothing, and a double-dip looms.

Sell stocks and invest in short ETFs as soon as the inevitable looks inevitable.

At the very least just get out of stocks.

The lows of March 2009 will look positively Himalayan in a few years time. The US is bankrupt. The Fed is about to embark on QE2 possibly as much as $5 TRILLION. The sheer amount of debt which needs to be unwound is absolutely massive on both sides of the pond. And China is about to implode too. Property prices around Beijing have tripled in the last two years! Yes, you heard me right. And looming above everything is the very real energy crisis and other resource scarcity. When an economy and monetary system is based on the need for perpetual exponential growth and there isn't ever-increasing and cheap energy to fuel the growth there is only one outcome. Complete systemic collapse of the underlying monetary system which will, as always, lead to societal breakdown. We ain't seen 'nuthin yet..

Why? You think it couldn't happen to Britain? Really? How come? Why are we so special?

I have been watching Ray Mears and reading some survival guides, i am fully confident that if the sh*t hits the fan i could live in the wild off of a mix of wild Mallard and the odd border collie

I have been watching Ray Mears and reading some survival guides, i am fully confident that if the sh*t hits the fan i could live in the wild off of a mix of wild Mallard and the odd border collie

I'll have the Mallard, but the Collie would be more use rounding up sheep! I've been watching a program on TV about some Amish teenagers coming to Britain to experience 'modern' world. However square and backward you may think of them, they would not bat an eyelid if the sh!t hits the fan and they had to fend for themselves. I would much rather have their skills and experience than no how to use a computer, to be honest.

I'll have the Mallard, but the Collie would be more use rounding up sheep! I've been watching a program on TV about some Amish teenagers coming to Britain to experience 'modern' world. However square and backward you may think of them, they would not bat an eyelid if the sh!t hits the fan and they had to fend for themselves. I would much rather have their skills and experience than no how to use a computer, to be honest.

But what if there is a nuclear meltdown and the only way to stop it is to write a faultless excel spreadsheet complete with formula and then format the cells into ascending alphabetical order ??

But what if there is a nuclear meltdown and the only way to stop it is to write a faultless excel spreadsheet complete with formula and then format the cells into ascending alphabetical order ??

yeah, 'cause that's how Armageddon is averted! Seriously, if I had my time again I would not study computer science. I would go to agriculture college and become a farmer.

I'm with the OP on this. I, too, have been building a fallout shelter in my cellar. I have enough food stored in there to last for 5 years. I will be on mostly a pulse-based diet, but there is plenty of variety within that particular food type. I also have a shotgun with exactly enough bullets for me and my family, should the worst happen. I have spent the past few years building up these supplies. I buy a few extra of each item every week. This is important because it draws attention if you buy it all in bulk. I fear for the OP, as he will draw the attentions of the secret rulers of the world. This is bad, because they might know that he knows what they are up to. In fact, this post is drawing too much attention. I will now have to move on and change identity. They'll now know who I am. Shame. That fallout shelter was looking good too. I've said too much...

Is your entire garden space given over to growing your own..?

BTW, try any Asian stores. You can get the sort of bulk quantities you require from them, the quality will be very good and the price will be far lower than anything a modern British Supermarket could get near.

Have you tried these people: http://uk.alibaba.com/products/bulk-black-beans.html Minimum quantity is 24 tonnes, but if what you're worried about should come to pass, that shouldn't be a problem.

Or: http://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/red-kidney/ 25Kg bags available. I don't think Health & Safety like anything bigger than that.

Or: http://sumawholesale.com/index.php/basics/beans-pulses-dried?limit=all They seem to have 25Kg bags.

I should get in quick before the panic spreads.

Should get a gun and do some meat preparation course instead if you're that worried. Personally I'd probably off myself immediately after the collapse of civilisation if I thought I had to live off f*cking beans for the rest of my life.

There's a pretty good veg garden at my parents' house, and it's hard to grow stuff on the windowsill of a fourth-floor flat, so I suppose I'll have to be a saddo and move back in in the case of fire, flood, famine, war etc. Oh, the shame :(

Reminds me of a old Dutch colleague who said, in 1999, that his father was so paranoid about the millennium bug that he was intending to lock himself in his cellar with a supply of baked beans and candles. Think I said something along the lines of 'out of the frying pan, into the fireball', or something similar.