Life On Mars / Ashes to Ashes

alpine_saint

I've never seen any of these BBC series, but I have an Austrian colleague who absolutely rants over them.

Are they as good as they are cracked up to be ? I've seen one bit on You Tube, which is a scene set to "Same Old Scene" by Roxy Music ( a song I adore already), and its visualisation and mood reminids me very much of Miami Vice.

Does anyone recommend investing in the DVDs ?

Critical reaction

Critical reaction to the first series of Life on Mars was extremely positive. Steve O'Brien, writing for SFX, declared, "It looks like BBC One has... a monster hit on its hands... It's funny... and dramatic and exciting, and we're really not getting paid for saying this."[33] Alison Graham, television editor for the Radio Times, described the series as "a genuinely innovative and imaginative take on an old genre."[34] James Walton of The Daily Telegraph commented, "Theoretically, this should add up to a right old mess. In practice, it makes for a thumpingly enjoyable piece of television — not least because everybody involved was obviously having such a great time."[35] Sam Wollaston of The Guardian wrote: "Life on Mars was more than just a jolly, tongue-in-cheek romp into the past... Once there, in 1973, we find ourselves immersed in a reasonably gripping police drama — yes, The Sweeney, perhaps, with better production values... Or put another — undeniably laboured — way, as poor Sam Tyler walks through his sunken dream, I'm hooked to the silver screen."[36] Although Peter Paterson of the Daily Mail reflected the views of many other commentators on the first episode when he wondered, "Can its intriguing conceit be sustained over eight one-hour episodes?",[35] Critical reaction remained generally positive throughout the programme's run. Of the second series, Alison Graham believed that "Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt are shaping up nicely as one of the great TV detective partnerships... It's vastly enjoyable and manages to stay just about believable thanks to some strong writing and, of course, the two marvellous central performances."[37]

Nancy Banks-Smith, in The Guardian, felt that the time-paradox aspect of the programme had become somewhat confusing.[38] Banks-Smith summed up the programme's success as "an inspired take on the usual formula of Gruff Copper of the old school, who solves cases by examining the entrails of a chicken, and Sensitive Sidekick, who has a degree in detection."[39]

Two days after the final episode's transmission, Life on Mars was attacked in the British press by the National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers, who claimed that Gene Hunt's use of homophobic insults in the programme could encourage copycat bullying in schools.[40] The BBC stated that Life on Mars was targeted at an adult audience, and argued that Hunt's characterisation was "extreme and tongue-in-cheek".[40]

Suppose it depends what you like, but I thought they were excellent.

Might depend how old you are as well Alpine- they're obviously based in the 70s and 80s so I guess they'd be even better if you grew up then. Although, being 20 I enjoyed them too.

Funny that, was already thinking about this. It seems the feedback is more positive for LOM than ATA, but ATA attracts me more because that was my era of music interest.

Yes, yes , yes, yes, yessity YES.

Best TV for ages.

If you're going to do this, do it right. DO NOT sneak preview the last series of Ashes to Ashes!

Start at the beginning, and concentrate, don't watch it if there are going to be distractions. As the series goes by you get drawn in and start asking questions - is he dead, what is the reality? You get to know the central characters, there aren't too many of these to make it fudgy and they are all well drawn. There is plenty of dark humour in all this, mixed with great knockabout cops 'n robbers stuff and loads of great one liners and put downs, especially from Gene Hunt, who glues the whole thing together. Life on Mars ends and Ashes to Ashes starts, with connections back to LOM and what happened at the end of that series.

During Ashes to Ashes, pennies start to drop as to who is who and what is or isn't reality. This is where, for me it turned into something quite extraordinary and unique. By now you will know the characters and if you have concentrated, will not be able to contain yourself waiting for the climax. I found it helpful recording the series and watching the episode before the current one each week, just to remind yourself where we are. You won't have that issue as you will get it on DVD.

Also, each episode has an entertaining story within itself, and if, like me, you were around in those times in England, then it is fantastically well observed.

Unfortunately, (for me anyway), once I knew how it all resolved I have, so far, found it hard to go back and watch it again - maybe in a few years time.

The DVD box sets are pretty cheap to get from Ebay.

Hope you enjoy it, but I repeat, DO NOT fast forward.

"See you down the Pub" :D

Edited by RonManager

Prefer LoM to A2A but then I think Sam Tyler is a stronger character than the Hawkes character ( I think the fact i can remember Tyler but not the woman speaks volumes). But then i also prefer the 70s soundtrack. That said.... LoM I would rate 10/10 and A2A still a creditable 8/10. If you like sci-fi then i endorse the Eccleston onwards Dr. Who as well as the recently concluded "Sherlock" series. All good, watchable tv. Everything apart from Sherlock is out in box sets (not the Matt Smith stuff yet). Recommend it highly!!

I thought LoM started well, but I just got the feeling that the BBC were surprised at its sucsess and the writers or powers that be changed the feel of it through the second one. I just felt that the ending was too contrived and that they also changed the main story to Gene Hunt, when he became so popular. It's not the first time that's happened ,Minder springs to mind, with Arthur taking over from Terry. I just felt that whilst Minder did it in a subtle way LoM/A2A made it too obvious. I believe the original idea was for a show which showed how the modern cop was so much better than the dinosaurs from the 70's. What happened was people loved the dinosaurs and therefore the show tried too hard and changed direction. I felt the A2A was poor and Gene Hunt was just not believable in that one.I also felt the bird in A2A was a pretty poor charactor and was poorly acted.

Gene hunt was a good charactor and acted well, but if you want to see a great portrayal of an old fashioned copper Denis Franz's Andy Sipowicz in NYPD Blue beats it hands down.

Alps matey

In a word YES

Start with LOM and then A to A becomes a must see, IF not as good.

Then IF you haven't already, as an expat collect the entire Doctor Who rebirth frm Christopher Ecclestone onwards.

You won't be disappointed with either

+ 1

Nah, don't bother. Life on Mars was pretty good because it was a good, new and interesting idea which was well acted by John Simms and very well over acted by the bloke that played Gene Hunt. Ashes to Ashes was too easy to lose interest in, for me anyway. Now if you want good drama, well acted, great locations and no expense spared go and get yourself the complete series of..........................................

Howards Way. Now that's what you call great drama.

Seriously:lol: