Rudi Skacel

alpine_saint

If we're paying him so much money, shouldnt we be using him ? At the same time he's in the shop window.

I dont understand the sense of freezing him out completely.

Problem being that if we play him for 4 or 5 games we will have to re-gel a team if or when he leaves. Put him on the bench and play him the last 20 mins.

If we're paying him so much money, shouldnt we be using him ? At the same time he's in the shop window.

Maybe his style of play doesn't suit the new system

Maybe the kids have shown themselves better in playing the new system than him.

He wasn't being played so he would avoid injuries in order that any potential transfer(s) wouldn't be scuppered.

For mine, and what I have read, the youngsters seem to adapt better to the new system and want to play it.

As for your question of how we can encourage him to take a pay cut to move. Maybe not playing him would give him that incentive (hold on, it hasn't worked for other players so I guess not!!)

At the moment the youngsters play well and for each other. In short, team ethic. Playing someone who doesn't want to even be there is questionable at best and could cause long term damage to morale.

I know there is the example of a certain Portuguese player at a Manchester club, but we are talking about the harsh realities of a broke Championship club here.

Alps how are you,who will you be having a personel vendta against this season now that Burley has gone??

Luckily although Burley is gone, Lowe is back so Alps can revert to the original subject of his extreme hatred and still carry on his posting style of complaint, moans, ultra-pessamism and general depression! ;)

He doesn't really need to be put in the shop window - he's played enough in England, Scotland and Germany to be known around Europe - and it's accepted that he's on the transfer list so there is no point in disrupting our plans for the season by playing him ahead of a player like Holmes who has been brought in to play in the first team from day one.

He doesn't really need to be put in the shop window - he's played enough in England, Scotland and Germany to be known around Europe - and it's accepted that he's on the transfer list so there is no point in disrupting our plans for the season by playing him ahead of a player like Holmes who has been brought in to play in the first team from day one.

Holmes won't be available every single game however, and we need cover. Look at the wasted expense if he ends up sat in the stands until xmas, when we get another chance to move him on. If we can't move him on now, then it would be ridiculous not to even give him a chance.

It think it is a shame that whilst we have him he is not been utilised. If he has a poor attitude then the best way the change that is to bring him into the plans. He is a quality player and the kids will benefit from him, we shouldn't be over strict about a kid’s only policy as the best Saints sides have been a blend.

If/when the team progresses we will be looking to strengthen the side with players of experience and quality. Just cut out the middle man and keep a few on, after all their wages are not really going to be the straw that broke the camels back.

He doesnt want to play for us, would rather have people playing who want to play, Alpine, havent you learnt the lessons of last season....?

How do you know he doesn't want to play for us? Do you know him? have some evidence that he has asked to leave? do you know if the club is trying to get rid due to his wages possibly?

I'm worried about Skacel. He has always had a good reputation, but teams he's played for, including us, seem very willing to do without him. Its almost like Pass-the-Parcel and as the music has stopped we seem to have got the prize, only sometimes its not something you want....

How do you know he doesn't want to play for us? Do you know him? have some evidence that he has asked to leave? do you know if the club is trying to get rid due to his wages possibly?

Rudi agreed terms with Ipswich and the clubs agreed a fee. the only stumbling block is Ipswich wanted Saints to pick up the agents fee. All allegedly of course. Sure there is a possibility that he does not particularly want to leave but the fact that he speaking to other clubs does sort of swing it that way.

The comparable rumour is Rasiak who is alleged to like the new set up and wants to stay (though this may have something to do with the lack of alternatives.... ;~)). as a result he is very much in JP's plans

If he is still here when the window closes he will be draughted back into the team, as he is without a doubt one of the most skillfull players in our squad, but until then it's a waste of time playing him as we are planning for a life and a team without him.

I don't necessarily agree with the bit in bold (I would persoanlly replace with has without doubt flattered to deceive) but in general I agree with what you say

If we can't shift Skacel then I don't think we can justify not using a player of his ability considering the wages he's on. However, he should only be considered if his head is right and if he is totally committed to the cause. Otherwise, we're better off sitting him in the stands. Not only that, but I doubt he would fit into our new look team, based on the fact he's hardly a willing runner! His work rate is terrible and we're better off moving him on. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any takers.

Edited by Bailey

I'm paying my ex wife a lot of money, but I still don't want her to move back in. The thought of using her occasionally has crossed mind tho.

Rudi agreed terms with Ipswich and the clubs agreed a fee. the only stumbling block is Ipswich wanted Saints to pick up the agents fee. All allegedly of course. Sure there is a possibility that he does not particularly want to leave but the fact that he speaking to other clubs does sort of swing it that way.

The comparable rumour is Rasiak who is alleged to like the new set up and wants to stay (though this may have something to do with the lack of alternatives.... ;~)). as a result he is very much in JP's plans

If he has been told to look for another club (and as a high earner this is very possible) then it's pretty obvious a player would talk to other clubs even if that player would still like to play for his adopted club.

Rudi agreed terms with Ipswich and the clubs agreed a fee. The only stumbling block is Ipswich wanted Saints to pick up the agents fee. All allegedly of course. Sure there is a possibility that he does not particularly want to leave, but the fact that he's speaking to other clubs does sort of swing it that way.

Not true, Rudi rejected Ipswich after they only offered him 4K a week.

He's on nearer double that here. We need to move him on ideally and get him off the books.

I think he'd fit in pretty well in the new system, especially in the attacking midfield role where he'd have a lot of freedom.

But hey ho, if he doesn't want to play for us then he shouldn't play.

I agree in part. As far as I can remember, Burley hadn't really given him much of a run as a floating attacking midfielder. As for the lack of motivation that he apparently has, hasn't Poortvliet got any skills of player motivation? Or is it a damned sight easier to just adopt the attitude that if he doesn't want to play for us we just get rid of him? Wouldn't Scacel like to have a free roaming role in midfield, playing as part of a young team employing a passing game? You'd have thought that if nobody came in for him before the transfer window closed, he would have nothing to lose and a lot to prove, so why not use him? It's not as if he has no talent.

So far during the pre-season, Holmes has played well on the left wing, while Dyer or BWP have shown they can also play there, and Surman has played very well at LB (which seems destined to be his true position) while Mills loks very promising as back up. Why disrupt that by bringing in an older player who has made it clear he doesn't see his future at SFC? If the young players don't work out well in the first few games of the season and/or Skacel recommits to being a Saints player, then it'll be time to think of re-integrating him into the 1st team.

Maybe Rudi will be encouraged to try harder to go by playing in the reserves. Picking up a generous wage for doing little may sound good, but it will damage his own career interests if he does that for too long. Definitely shouldn't play him just because he's here, when his playing positions are well covered.

Bloody hell that's twice I find myself agreeing with the Alps on one day.... I need to get a grip!

No. We only want players on the pitch who WANT to play for the club.

Leave him out. It the little scrot doesn't want to play for us, then let him rot in the reserves. Yes, we need to get him off the wagebill, but I certainly wouldn't let him get anywhere near the first team.

He doesnt want to play for us, would rather have people playing who want to play, Alpine, havent you learnt the lessons of last season....?

I think he'd fit in pretty well in the new system, especially in the attacking midfield role where he'd have a lot of freedom.

But hey ho, if he doesn't want to play for us then he shouldn't play.

Sorry guys, I think I must have missed that particular interview, anyone got a link?

Or are we just making baseless accusations on the assumption that none of our other players would ever dream of playing in the Bundesliga, rather than sitting on the bench in CCC?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh God I agree with Alpine again ! This is getting very worrying :confused:

...along with just about everyone else I spoke to at SMS about this yesterday!

...Rudi's smiling on the team photo ffs! ... give the man a chance

i would love him to stay but he will be wasted..then hated at LB, just like AS is going to end up because neither of them are left backs. The formation we are playing now would suit Rudi, he played a similar role at Hearts and scored loads and created even more. As for AS, i would like to see him in the Gillet role

i spoke with jan today as he is one of my neighbours and he basically said that rudi, greg, marek and thomas have not been very euthusiatic since he's been here (i think he was implying that they are lazy!)...he was also quite down about yesterdays result! i asked him about yesterdays subs bench and he admitted that he should have had another striker on the bench! i think in jan we do have a great head coach:)

Think he'll be at left back PDQ if Surman's really off, otherwise, no he rots or sits as cover for the players who are in those slots in the team at the moment.

Surman and Holmes have done nothing to merit being dropped yet.

It is clear he is not in the long term plans so COULD be gone any time up to the end of September.

We have already seen threads about the morale and motivation of the younger players and we've all said they need games to gel. So you drop a player who doesn't deserve to be dropped who you are likely to need in 5 or 6 weeks at the top of his game.

See the logic in the play him argument but there is the other side in a longer term view. The ONLY person who can really make that call is the coach - he knows whether the effect of being "unfairly dropped" vs the benefit of development and gelling as a team. On the other side again we don't know about the attitude and the motivation of Skacel.

Too many assumptions on our side so status quo is the most likely outcome

If there is a chance he's not going to be here, there's no point in making him an integral part of the side.

Only when we know for definite that he will be here should we play him. It's just common sense really.

I don't know how much interest there is from other clubs in him but he's turned down Ipswich that to me suggests he's in no real hurry to leave.

I spoke to Rudi in car park before match and asked him what`s happening

with you and he said "i don`t know" whilst shrugging his shoulders.

i spoke with jan today as he is one of my neighbours and he basically said that rudi, greg, marek and thomas have not been very euthusiatic since he's been here (i think he was implying that they are lazy!)...he was also quite down about yesterdays result! i asked him about yesterdays subs bench and he admitted that he should have had another striker on the bench! i think in jan we do have a great head coach:)

Is that what he said or just your view?