David Beckham

sadoldgit

I know that many people think he was some kind of wonder player and should play for England until he drops.

He could certainly deliver a cross and was exellent in dead ball situations (apart from penalities) but he would not have made my England's greatest team let alone World's greatest, even at his best.

Personally I think his England career should have ended a while back - a triumph of syle (and hype) over substance.

He can now concentate on what he does best, pose for the cameras.

I know that many people think he was some kind of wonder player and should play for England until he drops.

He could certainly deliver a cross and was exellent in dead ball situations (apart from penalities) but he would not have made my England's greatest team let alone World's greatest, even at his best.

Personally I think his England career should have ended a while back - a triumph of syle (and hype) over substance.

He can now concentate on what he does best, pose for the cameras.

He'd not make mine either, certainly while I can still remember Terry Paine at his best with crossing!

Capello is right, he's too old, maybe not now but the new campaign is about the 2012 European Cup. He is 37 in 2012.

How many 37 year old midfielders can keep up with the tempo of modern day international football?

Not before time. Grossly overated, on the strength of one or two free kicks and mind-boggling PR.

Wouldn't have minded him playing for us but he would still not have got in the midfield of Williams, Ball and Armstrong. Agreed - Paine's delivery was better and more consistant (Ron Davies would testify to that).

I agree that Capello is on borrowed time, but if his replacement brings Beckham back in any capacity I shall not be a happy bunny.

The word "great" should be used for Bobby Moore, Pele, Banks, Maradona, Pele, Cruyf, Eusebio and their ilk. David Beckham does not live in that company.

Great player.

Correct decision to get rid, handled terribly.

Probably be recalled within a few months anyway, as the 'new' manager looks for brownie points , because cappello is a dead man walking.

Apparently has was phoned beforehand and told. I guess he felt that Capello should have flown to the States, booked an appointment with Beckham's PA and told him personally?

Bobby Moore was a better player, not a bad looking dude and actually lifted the Word Cup but did he generate such a media circus? No. And his legacy is all the greater for that.

I think the press are funny (yea, the ones people are dead set on defending for against NC)

they crucified becks and some still dont want him near the england team...now the arch villian capello has binned him, they are outraged..

I really hate the red tops in this country...

Le Tiss by a country mile. And how many England caps did they get respectively? Criminal.

Beckham at his best lasted for pretty much 8 years, Le Tiss' whole career was pretty patchy. Dont get me wrong I'd rather watch Le Tiss any day of the week and he's given me some of my greatest memories, but Beckham played for Man U, Real Madrid AC Milan and won over 100 caps, you dont get a career like that being a mug. I wouldn't swap 10 years of Beckham for the snatches of genius we saw from Le Tiss (stuff that Beckham can only dream of) but Beckham deserved pretty much 80 odd of his caps, whereas even the most die hard one eyed Saint would have to confess that Matt wasn't at his peak long enough to gain anywhere near that amount.

Using Le Tiss as a stick to beat Beckham with is wrong. The question should be Gazza post cup final injury or Le Tiss, and Le Tiss wins that one hands down. I would be interested in how many caps Gazza got after '91, because most of those should have been Matt's