I'm making a stew

dune

So far i've chucked 5 chopped onions, a whole garlic, two packs of mushrooms, 10 carrotts, half a swede, and a parsnip in a big pan with butter.

What should i do next (i reliase stage 1 may be wrong but hey ho)?

I've got £15 worth of steak and 4 kidneys to add at some stage

Some mixed herbs, knorr beef stock, plus other stuff in the cupboard if anyone has a suggestion.

Is it for you dune ?? Or for an occasion or something

It's just for 4 of us, but it'd probably feed 20, i hope it reduces a bit because theres hardly any room left for the liquid.

fao jill not added tomatoes because I can't stand them.

fao keith i forgot the bayleaf, will add now.

Along with the knorr stock i threw in some bovril and now it's a bit salty, would some sugar fix this?

It's just for 4 of us, but it'd probably feed 20, i hope it reduces a bit because theres hardly any room left for the liquid.

If there's far too much, then it's perfect fare for freezing the surplus for another time. Next time, get a bottle of stout/Guiness to cover the ingredients, or as Keith says, the red wine.

Beer makes a good stock as well but cook it through properly to neutralise the alcohol, esp a brown or darker ale like Hobgoblin. You could always in corporate a French touch if you don't fancy dumplings and make large croutons from a French stick. Spread one side with Dijon Mustard and then put on top of your cooked stew and lightly grill to make the croutons crisp up and brown (but not burnt). Thyme - but not too much of it - can add refreshing lift to a stew.

Dune if you pass on the dumplings you deserve to be shot

No dumplings = stew crime

I quite agree. I have gone for a dumplig mix though, and not homemade. Was in tesco's and couldn't remember whether I required self raising or plain flour so asked a granny who said self raising, but i thought it was plain. For future can someone confirm that the granny was wrong and I was right.

i NEVER eat a stew on the same day that i cook it..you gotta let the meat tenderise for at least a day (2 if poss).....that way it also thickens in it's own juices as the veggies start to disintegrate! (which also means less chewing!)

and ALWAYS brown the meat first (sorry Jill) as it seals al the lovely juices inside!...MMMMM

i add loads of different things to mine ,baked beans, tomato ketchup, brown sauce, bayleaves,touch of curry powder,Oxo,Worcestershire Sauce,mustard.........tis bloomin LUVVELY!!!! (if i do say so myself!!)

:D :D

A decent dollop of English Mustard in any stew or Casserole (Gino de Campo came up with that one) - it works

As others have said - a good helping of Worcestershire Sauce

And my favourite - a shake (two or three drops) of Tabasco

I add the last two to tinned tomaties when cooking as a side dish and also to Baked beans when making a Brunch - how I was ever able to eat beans without those two I'll never know.

But the Mustard trick in a stew oh yes

One other little trick we can do here is when Brown the meat in the pan quickly then before adding the rest give the pan a shot of Brandy and reduce it down for a minute or two, adds a nice body to the flavours. I accept you can't necessarily afford to do that over in Blighty, but down here we can buy Indian Brandy for about 1.50 pound a bottle (trust me cooking with it is fine but you'd NEVER want to drink it!)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Cooked my stew, first time i have done one.

It is quite watery, will it thicken naturally (i'm gonna leave it a day)

Or do i need to add some water and flour mix ? Or a roux ?

Put some cornflour in a mixing bowl and add some of the liquid from the stew gradually, stirring continuously. Add it back to the stew, stirring while you bring it to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.

So far i've chucked 5 chopped onions, a whole garlic, two packs of mushrooms, 10 carrotts, half a swede, and a parsnip in a big pan with butter.

What should i do next (i reliase stage 1 may be wrong but hey ho)?

I've got £15 worth of steak and 4 kidneys to add at some stage

Some mixed herbs, knorr beef stock, plus other stuff in the cupboard if anyone has a suggestion.

stews are best in a slow cooker. Got to have dumplings too.

you did what in butter??

fook that!....large pan water to boil, add meat cook for half hour, add herbs and stock cubes leave for 10 mins, then continue to add veg in order of longest cooking time, so swede first stuff like brocolli (sp) last, leaving about 10-15 mins betwee each entry, leaving it covered all the time. once all in, leave about 1 hour on low heat before adding the dumplings.

oh and stew is always best on day 2