Results Day

SuperMikey

So, tomorrow is the dreaded results day for A-level students all across the UK. I've been pretty calm before now, but the nerves are starting to hit me. Not really sure what i'll do if I don't get into university, but i'm sure things will work themselves out in the end. May look at doing an apprenticeship.

Anyone else waiting for their AS or A2 results tomorrow? Or got any amusing or interesting stories about results which will ensure that this thread lives until tomorrow so I can post my tearful wailings on here? ;)

Pretty confident, but none of the exams were easy, believe me. I'm glad that I actually put the work in this year, as I dossed about a bit last year and got pretty average results (BBCC), which I can't be doing with this year really.

Think I may have over-achieved in one subject but under-achieved in another, but I guess i'll just have to wait and see now.

Pretty confident, but none of the exams were easy, believe me. I'm glad that I actually put the work in this year, as I dossed about a bit last year and got pretty average results (BBCC), which I can't be doing with this year really.

Think I may have over-achieved in one subject but under-achieved in another, but I guess i'll just have to wait and see now.

Yeah, sure you'll have done fine. What subjects did you do? And where at?

I did..

A2 English Language

A2 Psychology

A2 French

A2 Music Technology

..at Farnborough Sixth Form. Nice place, had a great 2 years there.

And Benji, there will be plenty of rat out tomorrow night, literally everybody I know is going out which will be replicated across the country!

The best bit will be when you're eating breakfast with your Mum in front of the TV tomorrow before you go and collect your results. An item will come on about A Level results and they will show a student opening their results live; this student will get four A grades and you will feel the weight of your Mum's expectation on your shoulders.

The best bit will be when you're eating breakfast with your Mum in front of the TV tomorrow before you go and collect your results. An item will come on about A Level results and they will show a student opening their results live; this student will get four A grades and you will feel the weight of your Mum's expectation on your shoulders.

**** that ****, I'm just going to go and get them, no hassle. Open them straight away, and then maybe leave the mum hanging for a while just for the lulz.

I did..

A2 English Language

A2 Psychology

A2 French

A2 Music Technology

And Benji, there will be plenty of rat out tomorrow night, literally everybody I know is going out which will be replicated across the country!

What a load of sh!t that course is. We had two teachers, one I was constantly arguing with, the other I just spent the whole time p!ssing about. Got a U in my A2 coursework. Was well happy when I ended up with a D overall. Can't believe it's been a year since I was going through all those nerves.

You're not wrong about the gash that will be out and about. I'm designated driver though, still, should be decent.

I did..

A2 English Language

A2 Psychology

A2 French

A2 Music Technology

What's the difference between Music technology and an ordinary music a level?

Just curious

What's the difference between Music technology and an ordinary music a level?

Just curious

Music Tech is more about production, mixing and recording, whereas Music is more classical, based in composition etc.

Put it this way, my Music contemporaries were studying Bach while I was studying Run DMC. Not the most academic of subjects, but it was fun and interesting and I feel that i've learned a useful skill from it.

Best of luck to everyone today and hope you all gets the results that you want. Ignore the morons that pop up and say A Levels are easy and that everyone should have an A*. They are easy to pass yes, but a grade E means nothing and to get the better grades, candidates will have worked very hard. Of course, University, an apprenticeship or whatever you do next is just the start of your professional journey and it's what you do in the following years that really counts but enjoy today and savour your results after the hard work that you have put in.

What I want to know is how most people did 2 A levels when I was of that age (circa 20 years ago), yet 3 or 4 seem to be the norm now?

To be honest I think one or two would be more sensible, as once you get to University you never do the other three subjects again, but I guess it's partly keeping options open as people don't always know what they want to do when they're 17.

Chin up to all those who haven't achieved what they wanted. I didn't work as hard as I should have done at school and college and it wasn't until I started going to university that something actually switched and I worked my arse off. Working hard is easy and I regret that I didn't have that mentality when I was younger.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't get bad GCSE and A-levels, in fact they were pretty good, but with a bit more will power and motivation, I could have been achieving As all round. Ah well.

Luckily, the hard work I put in during university, and outside of it, have got me where I am today. Skint, but in a job I've always wanted to do.

I got B C & D in 1972 when A levels were A levels and am now a High Court Judge. Now go and achieve something you young person you.

Fair play that's a good effort. Did you go to Uni though? I opted not to, but now I feel as if I have no direction. Haven't a clue what I want to be or do.

daughter has passed her AS. whatever the **** they are. shes decided she doesnt want to do uni, its not for her. i agree, hope she disappears somewhere for a few years and sees the world and gets some real life experience

It must be great to be carefree and confident enough to go and see the world and then get back to life in your early 20's.

I worry that this generation don't understand that there are millions upon millions of young people the world over looking to take these kids meals/jobs.

The western world has to wake up or we will be the sweat shops for the world in the future.

It must be great to be carefree and confident enough to go and see the world and then get back to life in your early 20's.

I worry that this generation don't understand that there are millions upon millions of young people the world over looking to take these kids meals/jobs.

The western world has to wake up or we will be the sweat shops for the world in the future.

agree with that. there is certainly a large element of the younger population who think the world owes them a living, and that starting at the bottom is not good enough for them

i think my daughter thought she was obliged to go to uni, because its what everyone else is doing and its what is expected off them. she is much better off getting some experience and then having a better idea of what she wants to do and not do and understands more about herself. she can always go back and do academic stuff later in life like i did if she wants to. i didnt go to uni, i didnt even do a levels, hasnt done me much harm, although some ****ty times along the way, but thats life

plus she'll be earning her own money and not racking up a large amount of debt to be round her neck for 20 years or more

im not knocking uni's, far from it, but its not for everyone. they teach you academic things, but dont teach you about attitude, behaviour, how to relate to people, communication skills, which are far more valued by employers

Edited by Saint Keith

How did you feel after your exams? The people who say it is a piece of p*ss as they come out of the exams are always the people who haven't done well in my experience!

Certainly not true with a couple of blokes i know who have recently come out of college.

I actually did my mate's mock A2 Psychology paper with no knowledge of psychology at all and got a B.

All you had to do was remember a load of study summaries, write in a certain way and that was it.

How did you feel after your exams? The people who say it is a piece of p*ss as they come out of the exams are always the people who haven't done well in my experience!

Wishful thinking perhaps. I remember coming out thinking I'd aced all of them and got straight As.

That's what happens when you actually do the work rather than ****ing about drinking / taking drugs / having sex.

im not knocking uni's, far from it, but its not for everyone. they teach you academic things, but dont teach you about attitude, behaviour, how to relate to people, communication skills, which are far more valued by employers

What a load of tosh. So living with a group of strangers away from Mummy and Daddy, managing your own budget and learning that you have to do your own cleaning etc and get yourself to lectures or work on time doesn't come from attending a university and wouldn't help you become a more attractive employment proposition?

What a load of tosh. So living with a group of strangers away from Mummy and Daddy, managing your own budget and learning that you have to do your own cleaning etc and get yourself to lectures or work on time doesn't come from attending a university and wouldn't help you become a more attractive employment proposition?

its just a hygeine factor, everybody is expected to do that as a minimum, its hardly regarded as an achievement to be able to tidy your own room and get yourself somewhere for 9.30am

im reminded by a speech bill gates gave a while ago

Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 10 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world doesn't care about your

self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time..

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life.. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs..

Edited by Saint Keith

No it doesn't because a lot of students don't do it. (Don't get me wrong there are also a lot that do) Unfortunately there are too many who **** their budget on drink and parties and get mummy and daddy to bail them out, whilst avoiding paying any tax. Besides attending a few 1-2 hr lectures each week is no substitute for work. Especially when it's on 'degrees' like Golf course design or Wine studies.

You can read about certain subjects all you like, nothing is equivalent to hands-on experience.

I know someone who went to a job interview recently, she said she had a degree, her interviewer said "doesn't everyone". Sums it up.

as for having to do your own cleaning and getting to places on time I've had to do that before I was even a teenager.

Edited by JackFrost

Sorry St Keith, not the work of Bill Gates http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.asp

For me University was a great experience and I would have found it difficult to get my current role without. But if you work hard and have average or above intelligence then you will do well degree or no degree. Same with respect to A Levels, I know plenty of peple who've got good jobs etc even though they got 'crap' results.

I got B C & D in 1972 when A levels were A levels and am now a High Court Judge. Now go and achieve something you young person you.

Fair play that's a good effort. Did you go to Uni though? I opted not to, but now I feel as if I have no direction. Haven't a clue what I want to be or do.

I can see why you didn't get very good grades, and have achieved nothing since, if you honestly believe a High Court Judge can possibly attain such a position WITHOUT going to University - and studying something along the lines of LAW ;)

Still, I guess you're another advert for dumbing down Britain...

Chin up to all those who haven't achieved what they wanted. I didn't work as hard as I should have done at school and college and it wasn't until I started going to university that something actually switched and I worked my arse off. Working hard is easy and I regret that I didn't have that mentality when I was younger.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't get bad GCSE and A-levels, in fact they were pretty good, but with a bit more will power and motivation, I could have been achieving As all round. Ah well.

Luckily, the hard work I put in during university, and outside of it, have got me where I am today. Skint, but in a job I've always wanted to do.

This. Well said.

So relieved now, don't have to worry about anything until 20th September (Freshers!).

FWIW Hypo, Language is pretty traditional. Don't think you can get less 'new age' than a whole section of the exam on grammar.

I saw some of the homework that a relative was given for language. English for me should be studying classic literary texts andbeing inspired by it. Just my opinion you understand.