The Mockneyfication of the South

dune

This horrible phenomenon is spreading and at any given Saints game you'll hear a cringeworthy "Orwhite Mate" at some point during the day. I think the days of the Hampshire accent are now numbered and as the old folk die the accent will die with them. The same can be said all over Britain as regional accents sucumb to the relentless tide of the Mockneys and social climbers with their "put on" voices.

Have you ever heard the Queen speak ? That's a really strange accent.

The queen, and the rest of the aristocracy, speak with an upper class accent but they speak properly and pronounce words properly. You can easily tell them apart from those who put on an upper class accent.

The queen, and the rest of the aristocracy, speak with an upper class accent but they speak properly and pronounce words properly. You can easily tell them apart from those who put on an upper class accent.

The Queen accent is actually very different from received Pronunciation, FACT. Professor John Honey is a bit of an expert on these matters.

I read in the Reader's digest recently an apology from them for mocking the Brummy accent following a 'right to reply' from one of them, they added that it could have been any regional accent that they had critisised for being indecipherable. It had come from an article saying how voice recognition software couldn't learn certain twangs.

Oh, and ******** to the queen.

so is "mush" proper old ampshire?

I think it derives from romany gypsy, meaning friend, and I believe the ampshire version is 'moosh'.

btw, the word 'Dad' is Romany as are many more everyday ones that we all use. ampshire has a rich history linking it to the romanies, something for you all to be proud of whether you like it or not.

This horrible phenomenon is spreading and at any given Saints game you'll hear a cringeworthy "Orwhite Mate" at some point during the day. I think the days of the Hampshire accent are now numbered and as the old folk die the accent will die with them. The same can be said all over Britain as regional accents sucumb to the relentless tide of the Mockneys and social climbers with their "put on" voices.

Cor Blimey Governor, strike a light, get up them apples and pears, frankly I couldn't give a rubber duck how they speak, as long as they support the red and white sashes and love ampshire, cos I'm an ampshire og

Cor Blimey Governor, strike a light, get up them apples and pears, frankly I couldn't give a rubber duck how they speak, as long as they support the red and white sashes and love ampshire, cos I'm an ampshire og

Which just so happens to be a lamb.

It's true that older people have a stronger regional accent and the post-war rise of Estuary English, television etc. have made them flatter amongst the young, but there's still marked differences no matter what your age. I knew one bloke I met at university was from Southampton (well Chandler's Ford, near enough) as soon as he started talking because he sounded like people at the football.

Constant exposure to Estuary through the exodus from London and the media has made people in the south sound more similar (in the same way that radio programming with strict rules on Standard English sent local dialects into decline) but regional accents will always exist whilst people are brought up by, and spend their formative years with, people with particular speech patterns.

What p's me off are the 'wiggers' - why do children of european descent have to use mock Jamaican twang ?

I despise this, when young, scruffy white kids walk around calling each other Bruv, Blud, in fake wannabe gangster c*nting sh*thouse accents.

A lot of the original settlers to America were from Holland, if you listen closely to the American accent, there are definitely Dutch twangs.

Depends where you go. A lot of people in mid western states were still speaking German, Swedish and Dutch as a first language up till the 1930s. People on the Eastern shore (a relativelty inaccessible part of Delaware speak a with strange accent which is supposed to be close to English of 200 years ago.

If I talk to people from other parts of the country they seem to think I've just arrived from the farm.

I think I must have a particularly strong accent - grew up in Romsey in the 50s and 60s.

My mum used to say I spoke nicely till I went to that awful school :lol:

What really ****es me off though is that if you have a strong Hampshire accent lots of people automatically assume you're thick.

Edited by Trader

If I talk to people from other parts of the country they seem to think I've just arrived from the farm.

I think I must have a particularly strong accent - grew up in Romsey in the 50s and 60s.

My mum used to say I spoke nicely till I went to that awful school :lol:

What really ****es me off though is that if you have a strong Hampshire accent lots of people automatically assume you're thick.

To be honest though, the Hamsphire accent does sound thick. I dont like it at all, find it quite chringing to hear people saying graaaaassss, claaasss, faaaaaasst, etc in that awful farmers tone. Sound like simple country folk, sitting around in checked shirts and dirty mud stained dungarees with hay in their mouth drinking cans of scrumpy jack and ohh arrring at the end of every sentance.

So did I, Trader. Where did you live?

Great thread, this really is something that annoys me too. The (west) hampshire accent is great and something to be proud of, anyone who cringes when hearing it can go and support the real mockney's daaan the road. Anyone who would choose to speak like a ****ney (usually after watching lock stock or worse; any film by the oxygen thief Danny Dyer) should be shot. Hopefully, the Hampshire accent will laaaaast forever.

Great thread, this really is something that annoys me too. The (west) hampshire accent is great and something to be proud of, anyone who cringes when hearing it can go and support the real mockney's daaan the road. Anyone who would choose to speak like a ****ney (usually after watching lock stock or worse; any film by the oxygen thief Danny Dyer) should be shot. Hopefully, the Hampshire accent will laaaaast forever.

Well said - and Turkish can join his mates and go and support Fenerbahce :)

ooaaaarrrgh

:lol:

Wow, I couldn’t disagree more with that!

The Southampton or any Hants 'townie' accent is different to the rural Hampshire one.

I know (some of) the mockney blue few have taken it to an all new level in recent times, they’ve convinced themselves they can hear the ‘Bow Bells’ from portsea island, but in the areas around there it changes to the standard southern countryside accent - something you’ll also find in rural Sussex and even Kent.

I'm from Southampton, generations of my family are too and I’ve got to say the ones I’ve known and friends in general sound more ‘London’ than ‘New Forest’.

I’ll upset a few here but if you do talk with a New Forest type dialect I’d recommend you change the way you speak because (here goes) you sound thick-as-sh*t! And you’ll always hear some ‘iffy’ accents amongst Saints supporters as we attract so many from Wiltshire and Dorset anyway.

When I speak to northerners they think I’m "from London", if I speak with Londoners you notice a difference.

Anyway, Gawd bless ya. ;)

The Southampton or any Hants 'townie' accent is different to the rural Hampshire one.

I know (some of) the mockney blue few have taken it to an all new level in recent times, they’ve convinced themselves they can hear the ‘Bow Bells’ from portsea island, but in the areas around there it changes to the standard southern countryside accent - something you’ll also find in rural Sussex and even Kent.

I'm from Southampton, generations of my family are too and I’ve got to say the ones I’ve known and friends in general sound more ‘London’ than ‘New Forest’.

I’ll upset a few here but if you do talk with a New Forest type dialect I’d recommend you change the way you speak because (here goes) you sound thick-as-sh*t! And you’ll always hear some ‘iffy’ accents amongst Saints supporters as we attract so many from Wiltshire and Dorset anyway.

When I speak to northerners they think I’m "from London", if I speak with Londoners you notice a difference.

Spot on pal. SAme here, Southampton born and bred but norverners think i am a Londoner, although, like you say, when you speak to a Londoner, you can tell the difference.

I am currently trying to sound like Brian Sewell.

Edited by Trader
added class youtube clip

Which just so happens to be a lamb.

I believe you will find that there are a breed

Of pigs called Hampshires and a breed of sheep called Hampshires. The references to Hampshire hogs go back several hundred years and have invariably been applied to the human inhabitants of hampshire, initially as an insult, but was taken up and used by the locals themselves. I myself and pleased to be a moonraker.

Fair point, please replace hampshire accent with Southampton 'townie' accent, which is still very different to mockney. TBF, Northerners think all southern sounds the same, just as most southerners wouldn't know some different northern dialects, so that point is irrelevant. Also, surely we can agree on one thing....that Danny Dyer is a moron?

Southampton born and bred. I noticed a while back my accent has changed. At school I used to said graaaaaass, glaaaaaas, claaaaas etc but without realising it's changed. No idea why this is, I can only assume it's who I hang around with now and maybe because of tv!

I also get northerners thinking I'm from London, and Londoners thinking I live on a farm.

It used to be the case that there was (and still is to me) a difference between a Southampton accent and a rural Hampshire accent.

I hope it doesn't go away as it's part of good old Blighty and something to be proud of IMO.

Totally agree with other posters about the Yoof speaking Estuary and Wigger dialogue.

Glad to report that most Americans still like the English accent and think it makes us naturally intelligent (I am pleased to report!!!)

What is really annoying for us ex-pats over here is the amount of Brits who start speaking Californian as soon as they open the dooors of their Virgin Atlantic flight.

Anyhoo, have a great day Dudes.