skyports

Clunge

This might already be on here somewhere but the predicted table on skyposrts.com has us going down as well as many other pundits!!

We're gonna have to surprise a hell of alot of people this season. I've only been to the Stoke game so far but from what I saw first half I reckon we'll be fine, as long as thomas doesn't play, he was shocking. Once davies is fit it is obviously gonna be him and svensson anyway which I reckon will be best defensive partnership in the league by some distance.

I just dont get why everyone seem's to be writing us off??

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_3942300,00.html

Any article that says Plymouth will have aspirations of being top six should be disregarded. They've sold pretty much every decent player they had. It will take a major achievement to keep them out of the bottom three this year.

Frankly this is brilliant news.

Do you think anyone predicted Hull and Stoke to be promoted last season, and by the same token, big spending Leicester were right up there in the top six.

I think we may surprise enough to be easily safe, but not quite enough to make anything like the playoffs.

That said, we desperately need a good start because confidence is going to be fragile.

The following papragraph sums the whole thing up and predictions using past performances, money, signings etc. are virtually worthless: -

"Virtually anyone can beat anyone, helping to provide an entertaining platform on which the majority of the division can harbour hopes of mounting a promotion bid, while being equally wary of getting dragged into the relegation dogfight at the bottom."

Terrible reporting, which suprises me from Sky Sports. That article merely glances over us, concentrating on those that have installed well known managers and players over the summer, or have come into money. The reporter clearly knows nothing of Saints (and other clubs it appears) over this summer, and is basing his knowledge on last season's results.

Tosh. Granted, I don't think we'll amaze everyone and fly towards the league title, but we've done far more than "very little" over the summer...

The previous two posts sum up exactly what I was going to say.

Lazy journalism, simply putting all the relegated teams and play off teams from last season into the top 7 again (there or there abouts), along with QPR, who have not purchased yet to suggest they will end up in the playoffs.

Schneiderlin, Schneiderlin

Does whatever a footballer can

Strikes the ball, any goal,

Catches players just like flies

Look Out!

Here comes SCHNEIDERLIN!

Sang to the tune of the old Spiderman cartoon song!

Sorry just had to get that out.

Thats the worst song ever.

Thats the worst song ever.

Was working with limited material.

Have to admit I've scanned a few papers and sites in regards to the new season and most of them have seen Saints lettng go of a few players and not doing much else. Saying there will be hard times and another relegation fight.

Hopefully though we'll have one manger during the season instead of 4. A settled team and players who want to play for the club along with a clear direction of what the team/club should be doing and how.

Always said I wont make a judgement on Jan or the set up until we're a third of the season in but I cannot see Saints being any worse than last season. As we served up some right real dross.

Was working with limited material.

Sorry didn't mean to sound harsh, just can't see the Northam singing that ;)

A simple 'Sneider-linnn, Sneider-linnnnn' will probably be sung (to the tune of Kenwyne Jones, Kenwyne jones and Stern John, Stern John).

Most people last year selected Hull to struggle; this article on bbc 606 had them down to be relegated.

Remind where Hull are this year.....

Predictions at this time of year are completely to be taken with a pinch of salt. According to most media outlets we were supposed to mount a promotion push last season.

A simple 'Sneider-linnn, Sneider-linnnnn' will probably be sung (to the tune of Kenwyne Jones, Kenwyne jones and Stern John, Stern John).

Ha ha, wasnt expecting the Northam to take it up either! :rolleyes:

Have got the ruddy Spiderman tune in my head now. I think its gonna stay there all day.

Most people last year selected Hull to struggle; this article on bbc 606 had them down to be relegated.

Remind where Hull are this year.....

Predictions at this time of year are completely to be taken with a pinch of salt. According to most media outlets we were supposed to mount a promotion push last season.

This is the article...

These lists are written in ten minutes and are worthless.

Sky sports and the like are populated by ex-footballers who do not like to talk up foreign managers (unless they are top foreign managers) as they fear for their and their friends prospects of getting on the football gravy train. The write up would have been completely different if we had kept NP, a man the experts like because he is one of them.

Prepare for the pressure to be ramped up if we lose a few games.

Oh good, more total boredom monotony then. 27 new songs about the skates as well, I believe. Yippee.

This might already be on here somewhere but the predicted table on skyposrts.com has us going down as well as many other pundits!!

We're gonna have to surprise a hell of alot of people this season. I've only been to the Stoke game so far but from what I saw first half I reckon we'll be fine, as long as thomas doesn't play, he was shocking. Once davies is fit it is obviously gonna be him and svensson anyway which I reckon will be best defensive partnership in the league by some distance.

Let them write us off. The Slug Balancer used to do this every game, every season and we proved him wrong time after time, only when he changed tack and said we would do well did it all go wrong for us. These so called "experts" or pundits have no idea, and no-one ever goes back and checks their predictions against results.

By the way, to say Baseya is our only OUT is absolutely laughable. How about Wright, Wright, Lucketti, Hammill, Lundekvam, etc etc. We also have another IN not mentioned, called Svensson.

I'm actually content with the fact that numerous pundits and websites are already writing us off before a ball has even been kicked. It could just work in our favour . . .

More often than not, teams have come to St Mary's and put 10 men behind the ball, seeing a point at our place as a good result, seeing how we have been considered a big fish in a little pond and all. Well now it's all change. After last season, teams will look at us and think we are there for the taking, resulting in teams attacking us and having a go right from the off. This may just play into our hands as we've all seen how the new 'total football' approach makes for an open and entertaining game, played at a high tempo with the main emphasis on attack. With the opposition coming at us and not being so conservative with their tactics, this may make it easier for us to get the ball on the deck and move it about.

I don't know about you, but I'm more than happy with this 'underdog' tag, and I think we may surprise a few people this season.

Roll on Cardiff!

Edited by Bailey

By the way, to say Baseya is our only OUT is absolutely laughable. How about Wright, Wright, Lucketti, Hammill, Lundekvam, etc etc. We also have another IN not mentioned, called Svensson.

what you say is more laughable ;)

Richard Wright, Chris Lucketti and Adam Hammill were all loans so why on earth would they count as outs? Also Michael Svensson has not officially signed a contract yet so isn't an IN

Frankly this is brilliant news.

Do you think anyone predicted Hull and Stoke to be promoted last season, and by the same token, big spending Leicester were right up there in the top six.

I think we may surprise enough to be easily safe, but not quite enough to make anything like the playoffs.

That said, we desperately need a good start because confidence is going to be fragile.

Yep, big name pundits getting it wrong again. I think Hull was one of the favourites for relegation with most pundits (including bookies). We were favourites for most seasons in the premiership with Sky, except for the season we actually got relegated!

Is this what they said when Wenger went to Arsenal?

That's what I was thinking along with Mourinho, Benitez etc

Well, all of those had enjoyed success at top-level clubs, Mourinho in particular. Wenger was the least known at the time of his appointment, as he'd been out in Japan for a few seasons, but he did have a good record with Monaco. And there was considerable bewilderment among press and others (I remember Ian Wright's 'Arsene who?' comment) when he was appointed.

I'm not arguing in favour of Sky Sports here, by the way - the whole thing smacked of lazy journalism to me. But then that always seems to be the way with analysis (such as it is) of anything below the Premiership...

you mean the man that won the Champions League and UEFA Cup in the two years before? Also Benitez winning the league in Spain with Valencia?

My post was in reference "installing a foreign manager with no track record in England" posted by bellefirelover. Nothing to do with honours with other clubs as this was not mentioned by the skysports reporter.

you mean the man that won the Champions League and UEFA Cup in the two years before? Also Benitez winning the league in Spain with Valencia?

You have to look at these things in context though (granted JP has won nothinhg anywhere!)

I think we'll be fine this season, reckon we'll be very up and down and inconsistent (one game "we can go up, COYR!", the next "JP out, we're goin down FFS") but i can come to expect that. As long as we get a decent season behind us, hopefully with an improved £££ situation we can build on things next year.

Well, all of those had enjoyed success at top-level clubs, Mourinho in particular. Wenger was the least known at the time of his appointment, as he'd been out in Japan for a few seasons, but he did have a good record with Monaco. And there was considerable bewilderment among press and others (I remember Ian Wright's 'Arsene who?' comment) when he was appointed.

I'm not arguing in favour of Sky Sports here, by the way - the whole thing smacked of lazy journalism to me. But then that always seems to be the way with analysis (such as it is) of anything below the Premiership...

Jan is one of the most successful lower league coaches Holland has seen in recent times. We are a lower league team so there you go!

possibly having a virtual reserve team playing might have something to do with it.....

Does whatever a footballer can

Strikes the ball, any goal,

Catches players just like flies

Look Out!

Here comes SCHNEIDERLIN!

Sang to the tune of the old Spiderman cartoon song!

Sorry just had to get that out.

You need something more like

Takes a shot from wherever he can

Puts his foot through the ball

He'll get past any kind of wall

Look Out!

Here's MORGAN SCHNEIDERLIN!