Taking the P!SS and Banter

dune

Is it just me or do you think that characters are becoming fewer with each new generation? Lots of todays youths have been born into such a sterile, poltically correct, and pampered world that when they get into the real world they haven't got a clue how to react to p1sstaking and banter and really show themselves up.

Turkish touched on this subject the other day and he's spot on, our nation still has it's place at the top of the tree when it comes to humour, but we are in decline.:(

Is it just me or do you think that characters are becoming fewer with each new generation? Lots of todays youths have been born into such a sterile, poltically correct, and pampered world that when they get into the real world they haven't got a clue how to react to p1sstaking and banter and really show themselves up.

Turkish touched on this subject the other day and he's spot on, our nation still has it's place at the top of the tree when it comes to humour, but we are in decline.:(

I believe you are refering to the renowned social commentatror "Turkish" and his accusation that I couldnt take banter and would run to HR complaining of bullying?

Im probably older than both of you, but thankfully Im not a "character" like you

Disagree. Just because Bernard Manning's brand of 'humour' is dying, that is hardly a suggestion that comedy is. I have a feeling your definition of these things is actually what many people would call bullying, abuse or hate crime.

Bernard Manning was a ****ing legend. Use the post factum politically-tinted spy glass all you want; his humour was of a time and age and was funny.

Laughing at black people's lips is somewhat beneath and behind me. Evidently not you.

well is laughing at white man's lips acceptable? I'm guessing you are white? So have you ever laughed at another white man's facial oddities?

edit: and when you so sweepingly say "black people's lips" are you making any distinction between the Bantu and the Arab-blacks. They have very different sort of lips, or are you being racist by squishing both peoples together in your myopic white-man's vision of political correctness?

Edited by 1976_Child

Bernard Manning was a ****ing legend. Use the post factum politically-tinted spy glass all you want; his humour was of a time and age and was funny.

No, no, it simply wasn't. It was crude, crass, and appealed only to the lowest common demominator. It was also regularly racist, homophobic and almost always misogynist.

well is laughing at white man's lips acceptable? I'm guessing you are white? So have you ever laughed at another white man's facial oddities?

edit: and when you so sweepingly say "black people's lips" are you making any distinction between the Bantu and the Arab-blacks. They have very different sort of lips, or are you being racist by squishing both peoples together in your myopic white-man's vision of political correctness?

Laughing at a white persons lips (or any other part of his/her body) which is a racially distincitive attribute, is without doubt equally unacceptable. IMO, it less acceptable when the 'comedian' is a member of a dominant social/racial group, and butt of the joke belongs to a less dominant group.

You do realise that the term 'Bantu' refers to a liguistic family, and that it's former meaning of identifying black people is now considered unacceptable? The correct, and recongised term to use is 'black'. Arabs are most certainly not black. Afro-Arabs have genes of both Arab and Black origin, as a result their distinguishing features are often a mixture of the two racial groups.

You can slate the term 'PC' all you want, IMO it should be rebranded as 'basic common decency'.

You are right, too much sh*te american "humour" on TV. Kids these days are the Friends generation, raised on happy clappy, lets all have a hug and it'll be alright nonsense. Everything is all about polictical correctness and loving everyone. Some of the lame excuse for comedy these days is pathetic. All this namby pamby sh*t dilutes the traditional british humour which is p*ss taking and self depreciation. If people laugh at themselves these days they lack confidence apparantly, if people laugh at others they are a bully.

For example my mate is in his mid thirties, split up with his wife a year ago and she now has a new fella. Despite pretending otherwise he is struggling to come to terms with it so our response to help him through it is to remind him that the new guy is better looking, richer, got a bigger c*ck and is a better dad than he'll ever be. I'd imagine some of the pathetic, pampered little oiks being raised at the moment wouldn't be able to deal with issues through humour, they'd cry, want councilling and mope around feeling sorry for themselves amind constant cries for attention via facebook with "i feel so low" "i am so angry with someone" etc statuses.

Edited by Turkish

I believe you are refering to the renowned social commentatror "Turkish" and his accusation that I couldnt take banter and would run to HR complaining of bullying?

Im probably older than both of you, but thankfully Im not a "character" like you

People that are called or described by themselves or others as a "character" or "mad" are, without exception, utter c*nts.

Bernard Manning and several other comics were funny at the time. It was the humour of the day and now things have moved on.

Next people will have a pop at Tommy Cooper and the Carry On films.

Was the Black and White Minstral show racist?? I don't think so, but unlikely to now be acceptable.

Bit like the Germans episode on Fawlty Towers, comedy genius but the PC brigade would be in uproar if anything like that was released today.

Bit like the Germans episode on Fawlty Towers, comedy genius but the PC brigade would be in uproar if anything like that was released today.

To be fair to the PC Brigade, you also have to give them the credit for the demise of "Love Thy Neighbour" and similar 70s abominations which outnumbered stuff like Fawlty Towers (slightly better but itself one of the most overrated things in history, right up there with The Beatles, Wembley, onions and Winston Churchill) by ten to one.

To be fair to the PC Brigade, you also have to give them the credit for the demise of "Love Thy Neighbour" and similar 70s abominations which outnumbered stuff like Fawlty Towers (slightly better but itself one of the most overrated things in history, right up there with The Beatles, Wembley, onions and Winston Churchill) by ten to one.

Spot on. Of course I assume the irony that the ginger-obsessive has failed to realise is that the butt of the joke in the 'German' sketch isn't either Germany or Germans, but instead the narrow-minded racism and xenephobia of Middle England. As such, the German sketch would be fully supported by most people on the PC side of the fence. What people seem not to realise is that 'PC' isn't a stupid tier of bureaucracy (as it is so often depicted), but instead what people used to call 'common decency'.

Spot on. Of course I assume the irony that the ginger-obsessive has failed to realise is that the butt of the joke in the 'German' sketch isn't either Germany or Germans, but instead the narrow-minded racism and xenephobia of Middle England. As such, the German sketch would be fully supported by most people on the PC side of the fence. What people seem not to realise is that 'PC' isn't a stupid tier of bureaucracy (as it is so often depicted), but instead what people used to call 'common decency'.

Bravo. That's because Stanley is a sodding moron.

I've always thought the Major cricket rant in the same episode was more about narrow minded racism, the Germans were the butt of the German jokes rather than Fawlty making them.

exactly

You are right, too much sh*te american "humour" on TV. Kids these days are the Friends generation, raised on happy clappy, lets all have a hug and it'll be alright nonsense. Everything is all about polictical correctness and loving everyone. Some of the lame excuse for comedy these days is pathetic. All this namby pamby sh*t dilutes the traditional british humour which is p*ss taking and self depreciation. If people laugh at themselves these days they lack confidence apparantly, if people laugh at others they are a bully.

For example my mate is in his mid thirties, split up with his wife a year ago and she now has a new fella. Despite pretending otherwise he is struggling to come to terms with it so our response to help him through it is to remind him that the new guy is better looking, richer, got a bigger c*ck and is a better dad than he'll ever be. I'd imagine some of the pathetic, pampered little oiks being raised at the moment wouldn't be able to deal with issues through humour, they'd cry, want councilling and mope around feeling sorry for themselves amind constant cries for attention via facebook with "i feel so low" "i am so angry with someone" etc statuses.

This

You have my full support

Never seen American Dad or Family Guy then?

Laughing at black people's lips is somewhat beneath and behind me. Evidently not you.

so did you used to laugh at them? Are you a ginger Nick Griffin? racist once, still are, but now pretending not to be as you realise it's going to make you look a c*nt in most peoples eyes.