F1 2010

Colinjb

Out at the end of this month and reviews are beginning to come in, even though I understand the game isn't entirely finished yet.

8/10 Official Xbox Magazine

9/10 CVG - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=262352

5/5 - The National (UAE Newspaper) - http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100901/LIFE/708319972/1196

Have been waiting for this game since the announcement of F1 games coming back to consoles in May 2008.

Sounds like it'll be able to please both simulation and arcade type players, although the handling characteristics are being praised for being 'outstandingly realistic' by some it does have the options to make the cars easier. The only main negatives seem to be the career mode being a little rigid and the press conference aspects being mainly needless.

3 weeks to go!

Edited by Colinjb

Here is a awesome video of Monaco being compared to real life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnf6zla_IQA

The cheapest i can see for pre-order o_rly is zavvi at £31 on 360 http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/f1-2010/10082007.html

I have never used them before though so not sure how good they are about getting the game to you on release day.

Edited by St Marco

IGN review

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1120745p1.html

Also not sure if people are interested but i noticed this deal http://www.shopto.net/PS3/VIDEO%20GAMES/PS3FO04-F1%202010%20with%20Logitech%20Wireless%20Driving%20Force%20Wheel%20Game%20and%20Wheel%20Bundle.html

F1 2010 + Logitech PS3 wireless steering wheel for £49.86. Thought that was a pretty good deal.

Loving it so far. The driver AI is great. Doesnt look quite as good as it does in the demos for some reason, but still quite pretty. (the mirrors are particularly bad).

TBF Brundle has ranted on about them for ages in real life being useless so it's probably quite realistic ;)

Goddamn pit crew sabotaging my races. Grrrr.

Yeah, cost me my first points finish.

Had a really bizarre season so far. It chucked it down in malaysia during quali and I managed to bag pole in my lotus. Race day was also a bit wet but nothing drastic, but my lotus seemed to be competitive, and I managed to take my first race win with Kubica all over my rear (ooer) for the last few laps. Thing is, I've been no where near that competitive for the other races, finishing around 12th to 8th

I have been reading user reviews on grandprixgames.org, trying to decide whether to buy it or not.

They are pretty serious race simulation fans over there, so maybe they're expecting too much, but some of the flaws they're talking about sound pretty annoying.

They're talking about the AI cars speed (and therefore the difficulty) fluctuating quite a lot between races, that would really annoy me as I want something vaguely realistic performance wise.

Damnit, why can't my holiday finish now so I can play it! Fly back tomorrow evening and have Monday off to get to grips with it.

Apparently the 'pitstop' bug where your crew is too cautious at releasing you when AI cars are around is being looked into. Either way.... Cannot wait.

Apparently it happens on shorter races and they recommend changing the default pit in lap as a fix for now (or selecting longer races), not tried it yet.

Had one race so far with Lotus on easy with brake assist off, 2nd fastest in practice, 2nd in qualifying but had a 5 grid drop for causing a collision, in the race finished 2nd (luckily i was first going into the pitstop!).

Seems strange so far, on the one hand its too easy (Lotus 2nd?) on the other its impossible for me not to spin at the moment even in the dry at least once a lap, and then there's the corning cutting!

Next race ill try with penalties on "realistic" - should be interesting!

Edit update - well was disqualified a few times during race attempts for too much corner cutting and colliisions...

AI seemed a lot better in Australia compared to Bahrain, annoying game yet very addictive.

Struggled around 20th in practice, got to 11th in qualifying, was going well in the race up to 8th before Schmacher weaves all over the place sending me onto the grass and spinning. Restarted the game and 3 times in a row got hit from behind at the first corner. Eventually gave up at carried on finishing 19th, at least i beat Trulli o/

Edited by DG
Update

Well i got it for £34 at Tesco in Bursledon this morning on PS3. Have played it for awhile.

It reminds me a lot of the old F1 games on PS2 which were awesome. Racing feels fun and they have the whole "make one mistake and your be punished for it" thing which is realistic. Not like Gran Turismo where you can spin off but get back first before the next corner. Playing on medium in Lotus with no assists and got 8th on grid in qualifying. Was really chuffed.

But then the bad stuff happened. Was in the race and was being perfect all around the course (Bahrain) got up to 3rd and then was called into the pits......After my pit stop i went from 3rd to 22nd....The pit crew took forever to let me go because of the cars coming into the pit lane. After looking at the replay if you look you can see if any car comes into the lane or leaves you won't be set free. Which is a critical flaw with the game. It means the computer can undo all your hard work in an instance. Which makes the game broken in my opinion. Let's hope they can patch this quick because if the pit stuff works it would be amazing game.

The only other annoying thing is the unlikely spins that you can have.

Yeah, cost me my first points finish.

Had a really bizarre season so far. It chucked it down in malaysia during quali and I managed to bag pole in my lotus. Race day was also a bit wet but nothing drastic, but my lotus seemed to be competitive, and I managed to take my first race win with Kubica all over my rear (ooer) for the last few laps. Thing is, I've been no where near that competitive for the other races, finishing around 12th to 8th

have you raced around Spa yet? Eau Rouge is epic!!

Wont be satisfied unless I see 4 muppets stood on the inside of Raidillon taking a photo. :)

Will try and get a copy tomorrow and give you a "race" if I'm not working. I'm fairly crap with most PC games which involve skill and coordination, so please be patient. I've got F1 championship edition on the PS3 which is from the 2006 season. Haven't played it in months. Have a look at the 2006 F1 season on Wiki and tell me why I was p*ssed off with that game. :(

I got pretty good at a game called Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 ages ago (It was based on the 1997 season to give you an idea of how long ago). Had it on the PC with a racing wheel and pedals. Was an excellent game for it's day. I always seemed to kick ass at Jerez and especially Magny Cours.

- Just posted my first impressions on the Codemasters forum. Here it is to share.

Finally got the game this morning. 5 hours on I am ready to do my first impressions review.

Firstly, the negatives. The pit lane bug has cost me a little bit, a points position at Oz was on until I got held up for 11 seconds but otherwise, by simply ignoring the pit in call I have avoided any more problems. Also, a points finish in a Hispania..... I have finished 6th at Malyasia and 10th and Shanghai. I fear the game may be a little on the easy side (although I will conceed I am using Auto gears and full traction control.) The presentation is almost too spartan for me and the 'live the life stuff...' well, it's not bad but it hardly makes me 'feel' like an F1 driver. However there is one overiding thing that renders all of the previous null and void....

....Its an absolute blast to play!

I am no sim expert, I have never played and in all likelihood will never have the time to devote myself to iRacing or similar. I am in full time employment with a lot of other obligations. Games like this are simply a hobby I want to enjoy. It is an absolutley wonderful game!

As an F1 fan it has given me the up to date, graphically beautiful and adrenaline filled experience I was after. It is not perfect, hence why I will not give it a perfect score, but for 'fun' and 'enjoyment' alone - Which is after all what these things must be about, and in the knoewledge that the main problems will be addressed by the developers, I without hesitation give the game.

9/10

Are you the same Colinjb that posts on the planet f1 forum?

Just been having a play. Straight to Spa, best lap so far a 1:59, that was with traction control and ABS though.

The one and only.

Just realised that my results in my first career have been done with 'Pro' difficulty (Not 'Legendary') and still with auto gears on and Full traction control and it's the first season of 7. My results so far:

Team: Hispania

Bahrain: 13th

Australia: 14th

Malaysia: 10th

Shanghai: 6th

Spain: DNF (Far more difficult then the prior tracks.)

Monaco: DNF (Was over 3.5 seconds off pole, hopeless, my god this track is unforgiving.)

Turkey: 3rd

Canada: 2nd

Got reputation up to level 10 already and Lotus, Virgin, Toro Rosso and Sauber are showing interest in me for next season.

I got a DNF for Spain, in practice i had no trouble with the track but was 3-4 seconds down on everyone so gave up with that and qualifying. First lap got myself up to 10th from 24th and was cruising around in 14th after that before i had to pit.....only problem was that i had no idea where the entrance was....saw it too late and smashed head on into the wall.

Good times. On to Monaco (this is going to go well).

Edited by DG

Is it actually possible to do well with the brake assist on? I thought it was supposed to make it easier? When I use it I can barely finish in the top 20. Does anybody else ever use it?

Its very hard to do well. Its overly cautious when overtaking, and of course, you can't outbreak, so moving up the field is VERY hard! Only time i ever won on brake assist was when i started on pole!

Bahrain: 13th

Australia: 14th

Malaysia: 10th

Shanghai: 6th

Spain: DNF (Far more difficult then the prior tracks.)

Monaco: DNF (Was over 3.5 seconds off pole, hopeless, my god this track is unforgiving.)

Turkey: 3rd

Canada: 2nd

Latest results:

Valencia: 3rd

Silverstone: 4th

Germany: 7th

Hungary: 2nd

Belgium: 5th

Italy: 1st (!!!!)

Singapore: DNF

Japan: 3rd

Chugging along nicely now. Just 13 points behind my 'appointed' rival. Jenson Button.

Playing it on Hard with all assists turned off and full simulation rules damage fuel and tyre wear.

So far finished 13th, 4th, 20th and 16th. AI fluctuates too much, some tracks they are fast some they are slow and the pit hold up is really irritating and costs a lot of positions if it is timed wrong but overall its great fun!

Only other problem I have is that whilst its easy to spin which is realistic, I enabled 3 flashbacks but sometimes they seem to reset you just before the corner and if you try and turn straight away my car goes forward for a second or two which means it was pointless using it anyway...

Would give it 8.5/10, well worth a buy and can't wait to sign for a better team than Lotus. Top speed is awful compared to AI even with low downforce.

Just bought it on the PS3 with a steering wheel and brakes.

What difficulty should I play it on? I want it to be challenging fun without being impossible.

If you are used to this kind of game go for 'Pro' AI and put a few of the driver aids onto a lesser setting. (Not daft things like the dynamic racing line, auto braking etc, lose them straight away. I mean the ABS, Auto gears and traction control.)

Played it for the first time and went straight into the first practice session in Bahrain on expert difficulty with all driver aids turned off, in a Hispania. By the end of the session I got my quickest lap down to 2.2 seconds slower than my team mate Senna, I think i did a 2:07.5.

Very impressed with it so far. Have done a few quick races in the meantime, it's a shame the safety car doesn't come out when there is a big crash ;)

Last two race results:

South Korea: 2nd

Brazil 1st (Yep, another win for Hispania.)

Just Abu Dhabi left now and I am 6 points ahead of Jenson. As I understand it, I will get the McLaren seat if I beat my main rival (Button) in the championship. Let's see if that's the case tonight.

Is the online play good on this?

It's a lot of fun, and more arcadey. I've done a qualifying session where we all had 20 mins to post our quickest time and I came first by 0.005 of a second. I then ended up having to do a qualifying session at Monza in the wet in a Hispania. Absolutely impossible, managed to wheelspin at 120mph and spin in a straight line.

We then did a load of 3 lap races at various different circuits including monaco where we ended up having a 14 car pile up at the first corner which my mate somehow managed to get through. Because it totally blocked the track he ended up winning by nearly a lap by the time everyone had sorted themselves out and were pointing in the right direction.

Last two race results:

South Korea: 2nd

Brazil 1st (Yep, another win for Hispania.)

Just Abu Dhabi left now and I am 6 points ahead of Jenson. As I understand it, I will get the McLaren seat if I beat my main rival (Button) in the championship. Let's see if that's the case tonight.

Do an Ayrton jobbie on Jenson into the first corner.

Just bought it today. Looks pretty good from a graphics point of view. Brilliant infact. My only gripe so far is that whenever you put a couple of wheels accross the grass it invalidates your time on the time trial mode. Did about 10 laps at the new Korean circuit (first one I went on because it's completely new) before I even posted a time. Every time I ran wide onto the grass, time deleted. Maybe I just need to be better. :D

Do an Ayrton jobbie on Jenson into the first corner.

No need, got pole and Victory!!!

In a McLaren now, won Bahrain easily. It's a different world in the McLaren, to the extent that I am now 2 seconds a lap faster then everyone else. Time for Legendary difficulty I think.