Earthquakes in East Acton...

St Landrew

...err, actually Christchurch, New Zealand. Sorry, the headline was pure Goon Show.

Funny things, earthquakes. I remember spending my first night in my new country, in Winters Road, Papanui, Christchurch, and just getting off to sleep. I'd only been in NZ, probably 12-15 hours, when I was awoken by the bed shaking violently. In GB, you think the girlfriend/wife has just got up/come back after a pee/checked something/[and for you families out there]dealt with the ankle biter, and your luck is either in/out/nowhere. But I was all alone. I knelt up in bed, and looked out of the window. All was completely black, except for the stars.

Next morning, I got up, and over the breakfast table mentioned the shaking bed. I remember one relly [family member] said, awl yeeah, et wasn't up ta much.

That was my introduction to the wonderful land of NZ. Of strikingly bright day skies and occasionally shaky ground.

I feel gutted for those on the South Island, when I went you couldn't wish to meet a nicer bunch of people. Hopefully it wont be too long before Christchurch is back on it's feet. I wonder how the little 'towns' such as Kaikoura got on?

Of course. It's sad for those in Christchurch and surrounding districts of Canterbury. Luckily, no one was killed, although there were a few injuries. I see you've mentioned Kaikoura, Thorpe. Any special reason why you picked on that one..? My mum and dad in-law lived there for many years. Nice little coastal town and I've drunk in The Blue bar a few times, eaten lovely crayfish there too, and done the obvious Sperm Whale watching. Notable for black [volcanic..?] sand on the beach, as I remember. Haven't been back since 1999.

Of course. It's sad for those in Christchurch and surrounding districts of Canterbury. Luckily, no one was killed, although there were a few injuries. I see you've mentioned Kaikoura, Thorpe. Any special reason why you picked on that one..? My mum and dad in-law lived there for many years. Nice little coastal town and I've drunk in The Blue bar a few times, eaten lovely crayfish there too, and done the obvious Sperm Whale watching. Notable for black [volcanic..?] sand on the beach, as I remember. Haven't been back since 1999.

Went there during April last year and fell in love with the place (and 'Sheep ****ger' lager). I would be gutted if there was any significant damage to it.