Modeling yourself on other people

Turkish

Personally i would never do this as i think you need to have your own style, which comes with self confidence. I'd also never compare myself to anyone else as that'd just insult myself. However you see a lot of of this going on. A while back a lot of people had Beckhamesque haricuts, when i was a teenager, Ian Brown, Shaun Ryder then Liam Gallagher and DAmon Alburn were the choice of a many of my era as fashion role models. What about today? I see quite a few wanting to look like Serge from Kasabian. Great band that they are i always feel a little bit of sympathy for those that try to look like other people, must be something about themselves they are not quite content with.

Edited by Turkish

When I grew up there was a solid link between music and fashion and this link has been lost. Was having a chat with Wayne Hemmingway about this the other day and that was his inspiration for the Vintage festival at Goodwood last month - i.e. to celebrate the link between music and fashion from a bygone age.

I was watching the Alan Davies teenage revolution on C4 earlier this evening and you can see how youngsters back then belonged to a clearly defined groups. These groups no longer exist and therefore youngsters today struggle more with their identity.....now they are left with famous for 15 minute celebrity nobodies upon which to model themselves.

This is England 86 was an excellent example of what you say. I think for youths this is important as style and music defines a generation and gives them something to look back on in later life. GOing back through history you had the Teddy Boys, Mods, Skins, Punks, Casuals but since the mid ninities and the Brit pop/indie boom no clear style and music link. Like you say kids of today have no sense of identiy, no purpose, no place. Modelling themselves on no marks like Jordan and thinking they can all be famous by having zero talent.

What is sad is when older people, blokes in their mid twenties upwards have not grown out of this, still modelling themselves on actors or musicians, like Serge from Kasabian.

Edited by Turkish

like your Luke 1977 wearing pals, Dan Bowers and Alex Reid?

ha ha, i've no intention of wearing it after the **** you gave me last time, because the more i looked at the said shirt the more i realised you were right. In fact my entire tkmax collection isn't very good and i've since spent a bomb on a white lacost polo, a kig apparel polo (these are very nice and english made quality) and some duck and cove jeans from a rip off small fashion shop in town . Got some nice jeans a belt from tks though.

Wanted some decent addidas's but aside from the old blue and whites thought all the ones in the shops were****. Wanted blue with yellow stripes and found some similar, but not the ones i was really aftewr

Edited by dune

This is England 86 was an excellent example of what you say. I think for youths this is important as style and music defines a generation and gives them something to look back on in later life. GOing back through history you had the Teddy Boys, Mods, Skins, Punks, Casuals but since the mid ninities and the Brit pop/indie boom no clear style and music link. Like you say kids of today have no sense of identiy, no purpose, no place. Modelling themselves on no marks like Jordan and thinking they can all be famous by having zero talent.

What is sad is when older people, blokes in their mid twenties upwards have not grown out of this, still modelling themselves on actors or musicians, like Serge from Kasabian.

I would dissagree to an extent, the Goth (early 1990's and 2000's and then subsequent Emo cultures (Mid 00's on) are definitely musically linked.

But things do now seem to be far more vague. I blame the internet, Tony Blair and the Gays.

Edited by Colinjb

I would dissagree to an extent, the Goth (early 1990's and 2000's and then subsequent Emo cultures (Mid 00's on) are definitely musically linked.

But things do now seem to be far more vague. I blame the internet, Tony Blair and the Gays.

Hardly to the same degree as mods, punks, casuals and indies heads though. A lot of kids these days have the metrosexual look, which disgusts me.

And those two have a lot to answer for.

Serge is cool as fk to be fair.

I try and model myself on StuRomseySaint.

that is easy. Ugly, scruffy, smelly and three stone over weight.

Serge is okay, but blokes 25+ should have found their own identy by then, not trying to mimick his, badly.

In our day we were the clubbing generation when the tunes were new and the pills were strong and there was still a don't give a **** attitude to the risks (which were and are minutely minimal comapred to drinking) and it was a time of all nighters and positively aiming to knock out as many brain cells during a sesh as possible. Now those days aren't gone, and the tunes today are better as there's more lazer noises and ****, but they are still the same tunes rehashed so todays generation haven't invented their own culture and I can see this getting worse as the country descend deeper and deeper in a nanny state where gvts see it as their duty to endeavour wrap everyone in cotton wool. Leah Betts and the certain tabloids have lot to answr for.

Bought this and it' the nicest shirt i've bought in long time. Fantastic quality and they only make 300 of so of every design before discontinuing

http://www.king-apparel.com/PremierStreetBrand/Shop/Clothing/Polo-Shirts/Celeste-Polo-Grey.aspx?c=16&catID=7&subCatID=109&productMID=1066&productID=4596

you should have a look at Victorinox, One True Saxon & Barracuta too, decent quality reasonable prices and dont see much of it down here. Not like Lyle and Scott which is f*cking everywhere these days :uhoh:

you should have a look at Victorinox, One True Saxon & Barracuta too, decent quality reasonable prices and dont see much of it down here. Not like Lyle and Scott which is f*cking everywhere these days :uhoh:

Ages ago i bought paul and shark cardy off ebay for about a tenner (pikey me up ha ha) but no word of lie when t arrived it mint you could tell instanty that it the real - absolutely stunning look and fit. I'm not dlush enough to buy thiei stuff really, but i it swell smart and nottacky like stone island has been (in my view) since the polyester cla teans started wearing over track b's. SI (im limited and unedixated opion) is due for a few years in the dp;drums - a victm of their own sucess much like th house pf burbeery.

BTW hope that makes sience cos the keys no behaving themselves

Ages ago i bought paul and shark cardy off ebay for about a tenner (pikey me up ha ha) but no word of lie when t arrived it mint you could tell instanty that it the real - absolutely stunning look and fit. I'm not dlush enough to buy thiei stuff really, but i it swell smart and nottacky like stone island has been (in my view) since the polyester cla teans started wearing over track b's. SI (im limited and unedixated opion) is due for a few years in the dp;drums - a victm of their own sucess much like th house pf burbeery.

BTW hope that makes sience cos the keys no behaving themselves

You can tell if Paul and Shark gear is real as it has an individual code on the tag. ALthough i question your sanity and style buying for one a cardy and for two anything off ebay ;)(barring a few decent sellers that i know)

What's the difference between being attracted to skinhead (possible associations with racism (cf This Is England)) aesthetics (wearing Ben Sherman shirts/whatever) and wearing Nazi uniforms in public? Really, there doesn't appear to be much of a difference. So you may see me strutting (more likely goose-stepping) in my purchased uniform tomorrow, somewhere near you.

What's the difference between being attracted to skinhead (possible associations with racism (cf This Is England)) aesthetics (wearing Ben Sherman shirts/whatever) and wearing Nazi uniforms in public? Really, there doesn't appear to be much of a difference. So you may see me strutting (more likely goose-stepping) in my purchased uniform tomorrow, somewhere near you.

I think you'll find that the original skinheads were not racist at all and contained many blacks and the mixture of Reggee and rock was the basis for SKA movement in the late 70's/early 80's. The skinhead thing was picked up by the NF in the late 70's, no relationship to the original skins at all. In This is England the film, which is loosely based on a true story, only one is racist, and in the skin head group 'milky' is black. Which pi*sses on your distorted version of history. So you might what to put your black shirt back in the wardrobe for now.

Skins were a movement as much as mods, casuals, punks etc were, something kids of that era could identify with and relate too, unlike the pamered spoilt little sods that get chruned out today into the 'i wanna be famous' generation.

Things arent always that logical or thought through. I used to hang out with bikers and the haute couture was leathers with a denim cutoff. Mine had a huge swastika on the back and enamel badges of Stalin and Pol Pot. After a night in the Compton Arms we often ended up in the curry house next door or the West Indian Club.

I think you'll find that the original skinheads were not racist at all and contained many blacks and the mixture of Reggee and rock was the basis for SKA movement in the late 70's/early 80's. The skinhead thing was picked up by the NF in the late 70's, no relationship to the original skins at all. In This is England the film, which is loosely based on a true story, only one is racist, and in the skin head group 'milky' is black. Which pi*sses on your distorted version of history. So you might what to put your black shirt back in the wardrobe for now.

Skins were a movement as much as mods, casuals, punks etc were, something kids of that era could identify with and relate too, unlike the pamered spoilt little sods that get chruned out today into the 'i wanna be famous' generation.

You have a distorted version of the present. To say there are no 'movements' today is ridiculous.

Wearing the same clothes and being into the same music etc. just so you can fit into a certain tribe is just as big a sign of insecurity and problems with forming your own identity as adopting the style of an individual. If you're comfortable in your own skin then you take what you like from the subcultures around you, ignore the Mods v. Rockers type crap that goes along with them and just be a person.

That said, the marketing of youth culture as a commodity now successfully stifles any authentic youth subculture (making money out of phoney "rebellion" whilst stopping any genuinely dangerous political sentiments threatening the status quo from taking root amongst the young'uns - the clever buggers in charge learnt a lot from Paris '68 and all that).

You have a distorted version of the present. To say there are no 'movements' today is ridiculous.

Of course there will always be some that dress a in a certain way, but nothing like there used to be though. In 30 year time will people be talking about whatever movement todays kids call themselves in the same way they do the Mods, Casuals or punks?

Wearing the same clothes and being into the same music etc. just so you can fit into a certain tribe is just as big a sign of insecurity and problems with forming your own identity as adopting the style of an individual. If you're comfortable in your own skin then you take what you like from the subcultures around you, ignore the Mods v. Rockers type crap that goes along with them and just be a person.

That said, the marketing of youth culture as a commodity now successfully stifles any authentic youth subculture (making money out of phoney "rebellion" whilst stopping any genuinely dangerous political sentiments threatening the status quo from taking root amongst the young'uns - the clever buggers in charge learnt a lot from Paris '68 and all that).

True, but as a kid you do this for a sense of belonging. You only really develop your own self esteem and identity as you go into your twenties. So what i find sickening are these blokes in their thrities that still try to model themselves on other people, like those that do on Serge from Kasabian.

has a coloured guy speaking you are right that was my era plus loved all soul,reegae and slde music and clothes and it was the racist far right nf who are now the bnp who adopted the skinhead look to try to spread their hate message.

True, but as a kid you do this for a sense of belonging. You only really develop your own self esteem and identity as you go into your twenties. So what i find sickening are these blokes in their thrities that still try to model themselves on other people, like those that do on Serge from Kasabian.

i agree i grew out of that and most people don,t even know the labels plus i saved loads of money not paying silly prices for the junk,but their again i,m a confident person so i don,t need the clothes or latest gadgets to boost my ego.

Check out Albam, Engineered Garments, Heritage Research, Norse Projects, Universal Works, Woolrich & Woolrich Woolen Mills.

All can be found here: http://www.oipolloi.com/oipolloi/shop/brandshome.php

For knitwear you'll be hard pressed to ever beat John Smedley and my Barbour coats (hooded and unhooded Internationals) are some of the best I've ever owned.

Edited by View From The Top

Check out Albam, Engineered Garments, Heritage Research, Norse Projects, Universal Works, Woolrich & Woolrich Woolen Mills.

For knitwear you'll be hard pressed to ever beat John Smedley and my Barbour coats (hooded and unhooded Internationals) are some of the best I've ever owned.

Some good stuff on there mate. Got a nice Barbour coat a few weeks ago and love it too.

Like these sites too.

http://www.stuartslondon.com/

http://www.not-addicted.co.uk/

To be fair, "chav" is a movement that will be spoke about in many years to come. The term may now be broadly used but it was a movement that's already dying off (burberry, nike tn hats, tracksuit bottoms in socks etc...)

Plus, right now emo's seem to be in their prime, and all the kids that listen to indie music all tend to look the same.

Im a hybrid. I listen to heavy metal/thrash/death metal.

I however, do not wear clothes that you would associate with that "look"

I do look extremely out of place when I attend concerts.

One of the tutors in my team is seriously into metal and flew off to Toronto and Dublin to watch Iron Maiden this year but he's as an unlikely rocker as you'll ever see.

ha ha, i've no intention of wearing it after the **** you gave me last time, because the more i looked at the said shirt the more i realised you were right. In fact my entire tkmax collection isn't very good and i've since spent a bomb on a white lacost polo, a kig apparel polo (these are very nice and english made quality) and some duck and cove jeans from a rip off small fashion shop in town . Got some nice jeans a belt from tks though.

Wanted some decent addidas's but aside from the old blue and whites thought all the ones in the shops were****. Wanted blue with yellow stripes and found some similar, but not the ones i was really aftewr

You should get some Adidas Stockholm's which are blue and yellow then but reasonably rare, or look at some Adidas 1609ers in the blue and yellow colourway which I currently have.

You should get some Adidas Stockholm's which are blue and yellow then but reasonably rare, or look at some Adidas 1609ers in the blue and yellow colourway which I currently have.

Stockholms go for around £100 - £120 for sizes 8 - 11.

TRX in yellow and blue and be picked up at a sensible price and the Brussels and Bern colourways for the London reissues are out now and are not stupidly priced.

Size in Soton should be getting a restock shortly if they haven't already had one.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with Spezials.

I can vouch for Universal Works. Lovely stuff. Just bought a new jacket from them this week. Can't keep the g/f out of it annoyingly.