9/11

RedAndWhite91

RIP all the victims of 9/11, nine years ago today.

Everyone remembers where they were when it happened, I had just moved to a new town, was getting ready for football training round a mate's and his little brother came in and said a plane had crashed into the World Train Centre. Wasn't until we went downstairs and saw it on the news we realised what had happened, I was only 10. Will never forget that.

Where were you when it happened?

I remember it vividly

I used to be a medical rep & had 2 appointments in Blanford Forum, Dorset

The chemists in Blandford Forum used to shut at lunchtime and I was sat there listening to Mike Parry & Richard Kaufman on Talksport describing the scenes whilst waiting for these chemists to re-open at 2pm

i was on a plane flying down the East coast of America. As we were level with Washington DC the plane turned around and started heading back UP the coast....No-one knew what was going on or what had happened until the pilot had landed in Bangor ,Maine and he made the announcement. No TV's were allowed on in the airport lounge (presumably for fear of scaring us), but my mate found a radio in his hand luggage and the whole lounge listened in in disbelief... It wasn't until near-on 2 hours later that we got to a hotel and could turn on a TV.......i remember seeing the replays of the planes hitting and just being completely dumbfounded, it was like something out of a film!.:scared:

Hard to believe that 9 years have passed since that day.........Thoughts are with all the survivors,aswell as the family and friends of those people who were murdered that day......:(

In Burger King on Tottenham Court Road, got a call from work to get back to the office quickly.

I worked for a US stockbrokers at the time, and we had an office in the WTC. We lost one member of staff in the incident.

Just spent the whole day in the office watching it all unfold on TV.

Still cant believe the death toll was as low as it was. Was expecting a figure more like 20,000+.

Had just left the office and was driving home. One of my guys called to say there had been a plane crash and to watch telly.

Got in and sat dumbfounded for a couple of hours and, not afraid to admit it, in tears.

THEN the sh1t hit the fan for us. In amongst the global shock, one person in our HR department in the US must have looked up and said "oh cr@p , we have people in the Middle East". Launching a 3 day rush to get a plan in place to move 20 employees and all their family members out of here and to a factory in Ireland. Those days, the fear of stupid reprisals from Bush and the astonishing level of support from people in the company as well as the Irish Government in getting everything sorted was couple with huge sadness at the loss of one of our company's most liked employees.

"Shaun" had taken his fiance on a "surprise" trip to Hawaii from Boston. What she did not know was that he had arranged for both sets of families and close friends to fly ahead of them for the wedding on the beach. They never made it.

At work and my wife called me to say what was happening. Tried to get on BBC website to see for myself but the website kept crashing. In the end, was getting updates from The Ugly Inside from a Saints fan in New York watching things out of his window.

Then went over the Westgate Hotel in Winch to watch it on TV once work realised noone was interested in working. Pub was full of American tourists watching it on TV.

I was working in teleoms at the time and I along with 3 or 4 othes were on a huge system installation at a printers firm in Acton. We were running some cables in an office where they had Radio 2 on and the first thing we heard was Steve Wright say that they were getting reports of a plane hitting the WTC. My immediate thought was that it was just a light aircraft and I joked to my mate that the pilot must have been blind if he didn't see it. Then the details started coming through and all the employees of the printers congregated in the MD's office where he had a TV set up.

One guy was really concerned as his sister lived in New York and he couldn't get through to her to check she was OK. I remember explaining to him that it was most likely because everyone had the same idea and the Manhattan exchange couldn't cope with the increased traffic - and so it proved, as I remember watching a documentary about the AT&T exchange in Manhattan and how it basically went into meltdown on 9/11.

Driving back into London the following day was eerie. Never seen it so quiet at rush hour as all flights were grounded and lots of businesses closed for the day.

I was at work in Reading for Dura Automotive. We heard the news from our boss, but back then did not have access to the internet as workers, but our boss kept popping in. It was not until 5pm our time when I finished and started the drive home that it all hit home, and when I got home to Southampton I just sat there watching the TV for hours on end just could not believe what was happening!

In Burger King on Tottenham Court Road, got a call from work to get back to the office quickly.

I worked for a US stockbrokers at the time, and we had an office in the WTC. We lost one member of staff in the incident.

Just spent the whole day in the office watching it all unfold on TV.

Still cant believe the death toll was as low as it was. Was expecting a figure more like 20,000+.

Quite. The number of murders was tragic, but it was a miracle it was only 3000 or so. It says alot for the work of the Emergency Services that day, espicially before the two towers collapsed. My gf's Uncle was working for the NYPD that day, and he has not or will not ever discuss some of the things he saw. I was still at school, 9 years, unbelievable. RIP.

For example, guess what the answer is to this question:

Whatever happened with Lotfi Raissi, who was arrested in UK for teaching the terrorist pilots?

Answer: he was completely innocent, and was recently compensated.

Or this:

Why were there no photos or videos of the Pentagon plane?

PentagonDebrisMontagecopy1.jpg

Etc., etc.

Ignore the 'truther' movement. The idea that 9/11 was the result of a black ops scheme deep within the Bush administration is fantasy writ so large only because the internet is a remarkably efficient transmitter of paranoic, conspiratorial garbage dressed as 'investigation'.

Shame you had to raise that nonsense.

hear hear, even if they were valid, today of all days is not the time.

as for where i was, i was heading back to work after lunch, and heard the news flash on the radio. i got into the office just as the second plane hit. i think i spent the rest of the day in disbelief trying to read watch any news source i could find.

Came into work late in central London. Somebody said a plane had flown into the WTC - but I imagined a light Cessna or something similar. Couldnt imagine what all the fuss was about. When somebody set up a tv in the office and I saw the pictures - totally dumbstruck. One girl in particular was in tears because shed been in Windows on the World a few days earlier.

I was at work, I clearly remember how the news broke on the radio, at first it was "thought to be a light aircraft" then it just got more and more serious. All the websites were down and I remember for one crazy hour it seemed like the world had gone mad with the Pentagon, jets being scrambled etc. You just didn't know what was going to happen next.

I was in the Coopers pub near SMS (was getting the Travel Club coach down to Brighton and had a couple of hours to kill).

There were no TV's in the bar. Just having a quiet pint or 2 and chatting to some random mush at the bar. Then some bloke comes storming in the pub proclaiming that 'World War 3 has just started' - 'America has just been blown up' etc etc (basically such OTT stuff that you just think 'shut up you crank').

He insisted the barman go and get a TV and he did. Some crappy little thing with an ariel on top of it that gave a fuzzy picture. But sure enough - there were pics on TV of planes hitting buildings. Not quite as mad as the bloke made it sound but all the same - pretty crazy stuff.

I then end up on a Travel Club coach where they wouldn't put the radio on. Think they insisted on playing some shtty movie instead. Apparently nobody wants to hear the news on the way to a football match. This was a bit clueless as it was what just about every single person on the bus was talking about.

The atmosphere at the game was very strange. Saints won.

I'd be suprised if anybody DIDN't remember tbf.

Me, well I was 20 years old, working for a passenger boat company in Windsor as a crew. We were doing a trip from Windsor to Runnymede, with a boatload of American tourists on board. The trip had started as usual, it was our last job of the day so we were in good spirits, my skipper and I, as were the people on board.

We got into Romney Lock, when the lockkeeper ran out to tell us that a plane had crashed into the WTC. Needless to say we didn't tell anyone on board, but stuck the little radio we had in the wheelhouse on, to listen to what was happening. After a somewhat speedy trip back to Runnymede, we emptied out, locked up the boat and I sped off home. I watched the rest on TV that night, I didn't even have any dinner I was so transfixed.

Just came back from a holiday in the UK, first day at work, was working in a lab, someone called me over to his PC where he had it transpiring live on the screen. I thought it was some kind of hoax.

thats a point in itself, did anyone see that tv "documentary"- type thing about a plane crashing on the M25? I think it was called What If, part of a series. My italian mother in law phoned us that evening while it was showing, very upset indeed, thinking it was a real incident, and I have to say That we switched the telly on and initially thought the same thing.

and fwiw, on 9/11 I was loading some stuff ready for some deliveries that day and hadnt even switched the radio on, I knew nothing about it til my mate arrived to help out and told me something was happening. Didnt realise the scale of it until the evening when we saw the footage.

thats a point in itself, did anyone see that tv "documentary"- type thing about a plane crashing on the M25? I think it was called What If, part of a series. My italian mother in law phoned us that evening while it was showing, very upset indeed, thinking it was a real incident, and I have to say That we switched the telly on and initially thought the same thing.

and fwiw, on 9/11 I was loading some stuff ready for some deliveries that day and hadnt even switched the radio on, I knew nothing about it til my mate arrived to help out and told me something was happening. Didnt realise the scale of it until the evening when we saw the footage.

Do you mean The Day Britain Stopped? Compelling viewing that, for a docu-drama. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_Britain_Stopped

Do you mean The Day Britain Stopped? Compelling viewing that, for a docu-drama. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_Britain_Stopped

yes, thats the one. Unless you were aware ahead of time that it was fictional it was very convincing. My wifes mum was absolutely beside herself, we had to drive over to calm her down. A bit like the orson welles war of the worlds broadcast in a way.

I was on paternity leave after the birth of my son. It was the day before i was was due back; working next to Canary Wharf tower on the construction of the new CSFB UK HQ building known as DS2. Me and the missus were watching lunchtime TV with the baby when we saw it on the TV. They then showed the 2nd plane hit and we couldn't believe our eyes. At that time i thought "Bugger, what kind of world has my nipper been born into!"

Going to work the next day was interesting, the security was obviously stepped up for the next week or so and there was a real sense of uncertainty.

I also remember feeling a bit guilty when a mate sent an email through with a picture of an zeppelin bouncing off canary wharf tower with the caption underneath reading "The IRA balls up their latest terror plot" or something like that.

In Hässleholm in the middle of a swedish lesson not long after moving to sweden,the class

I watched all unfold on cnn with about 15 kosovo albanians in the hall of a college in Hässleolm sweden after swedish lessons shortly after moving to sweden. When the 2nd tower was hit the place went deadly silent.

I remember it. Thing is, it was 9 years ago and two US imperial wars later. Maybe time for a bit of closure, just build another frickin' building on the site and move on. Sure, there is still pain, but do we need to hear it every year? The tiresome list of names being read out? Come on America, move on.

Edited by 1976_Child

I was driving back from Paris to Le Havre with my wife. I turned the radio on to hear that one of the towers had collapsed. Shock and disbelief. I've just realized this evening that it was the day before our wedding anniversary, 12th September. We reach 40 years tomorrow but my thoughts are with all those who never had the chance to live the lives that we have experienced.

I was driving back from Paris to Le Havre with my wife. I turned the radio on to hear that one of the towers had collapsed. Shock and disbelief. I've just realized this evening that it was the day before our wedding anniversary, 12th September. We reach 40 years tomorrow but my thoughts are with all those who never had the chance to live the lives that we have experienced.

i'm sure they are very grateful for your thoughts. Meanwhile 500,000+ families in Iraq and countless in Afghanistan are not in our puke-worthy thoughts.

Up the US Empire! 3,000 die in nasty terrorist atrocity = very bad. Must weep many tears and hold annual puke-a-thon.

1,000,000+ innocent Iraqis and Afghans are slaughtered at the hands of the Empire, its allies and depleted uranium shells and no one gives a flying ****.

Yeah, whoopee doo. That's the power of democracy and CNN.

Not in my name, thank you.

This is the 911 thread, start an "innocent Iraqis and Afghans" thread and we can all puke-a-thon with you...

or why not simply refrain from getting all tearful over a date which most likely didn't affect anyone posting here one iota even 9 years ago, let alone today. All this blubbering about how 'where you were at the time' and 'how you felt'. Puke-worthy soap-opera shallow bullsh!t. Chances are 9/11 didn't impact the life of anybody who reads this forum. But in the name of 'the War on Terror' over 1,000,000 innocent people have been slaughtered by America, Britain and et al. Not to mention the hundreds of British service men and thousands of US soldiers killed. For what?

And nothing, not even an insincere crocodile tear for them? Just so long as we can all wallow in our pious self back-slapping about 'remembering' where we were on 'that fateful day'.

Pass the ****ing bucket, I need to throw up.

or why not simply refrain from getting all tearful over a date which most likely didn't affect anyone posting here one iota even 9 years ago, let alone today.

Have to disagree with you there. Have you ever tried taking a flight anywhere? As a result of the terrorist attacks, air travel will never be the same.

All this blubbering about how 'where you were at the time' and 'how you felt'. Puke-worthy soap-opera shallow bullsh!t. Chances are 9/11 didn't impact the life of anybody who reads this forum.

This type attack was unprecedented and at the time left the world in shock. At the time, many thought it could be the start of WW3. Fear gripped the planet like never before. Many go on about where they were when Kennedy was shot, as this was a poignant time in history and this was the death of one man.

But in the name of 'the War on Terror' over 1,000,000 innocent people have been slaughtered by America, Britain and et al. Not to mention the hundreds of British service men and thousands of US soldiers killed. For what? And nothing, not even an insincere crocodile tear for them? Just so long as we can all wallow in our pious self back-slapping about 'remembering' where we were on 'that fateful day'.

There is one big difference between a war and the terrorist attacks. In war, civilians are not DELIBERATELY targeted whereas the terrorists went out to MURDER innocent people. So for whatever the wrongs and rights of the wars, the underlying principals are very different.

Out of interest, were you not shocked by the 7/7 bombings?

or why not simply refrain from getting all tearful over a date which most likely didn't affect anyone posting here one iota even 9 years ago, let alone today. All this blubbering about how 'where you were at the time' and 'how you felt'. Puke-worthy soap-opera shallow bullsh!t. Chances are 9/11 didn't impact the life of anybody who reads this forum. But in the name of 'the War on Terror' over 1,000,000 innocent people have been slaughtered by America, Britain and et al. Not to mention the hundreds of British service men and thousands of US soldiers killed. For what?

And nothing, not even an insincere crocodile tear for them? Just so long as we can all wallow in our pious self back-slapping about 'remembering' where we were on 'that fateful day'.

Pass the ****ing bucket, I need to throw up.

I couldn't agree with you more. Exactly my sentiments.

I remember it. Thing is, it was 9 years ago and two US imperial wars later. Maybe time for a bit of closure, just build another frickin' building on the site and move on. Sure, there is still pain, but do we need to hear it every year? The tiresome list of names being read out? Come on America, move on.

I bet people who lost family and loved ones that day find it difficult to move on.

I started this thread on September the 11th as it is one of those days where you think "I remember exactly where I was when that happened". There's no blubbering, just interesting to hear people's interpretations as the events unfolded. If you don't like it you don't have to reply do you.

I bet people who lost family and loved ones that day find it difficult to move on.

I started this thread on September the 11th as it is one of those days where you think "I remember exactly where I was when that happened". There's no blubbering, just interesting to hear people's interpretations as the events unfolded. If you don't like it you don't have to reply do you.

I'd ignore him anyway, from the rest of his 'look at me' posts, I'd say he is about 12. Maybe 13.

I'd ignore him anyway, from the rest of his 'look at me' posts, I'd say he is about 12. Maybe 13.

yeah, good come back. Like it.

Or just maybe I have a very different opinion to you. Sorry for thinking different to you. Sorry for not swallowing the given line about 'those nasty terrorists'. I must just be 13 years old.

Pathetic really, that most people are so completely brainwashed that they can't think outside the barriers that they find themselves in. So here is a nice easy one for you: What makes it wrong for a bunch of disaffected Moslems to hijack commercial airplanes and fly them into tall buildings but makes it perfectly right - and indeed a cause of celebration! - for a committee of generals to target civilian areas with stealth bombers knowing - yes, knowing! - that there will be 'collateral damage', to achieve their military aims. This 'collateral damage' was women, children and non-combatants. But yet 'our side' killed them anyway. So, perhaps before you get on your high horse, dear Um Bungo, and resort to infantile put downs you might ponder a minute upon the moral question I have just outlined.

What exactly gives us the right to kill 1,000,000 innocent civilians? Go on, have a stab at answering that.

9/11 was awful. Pure awful and some of the stuff that happened that day is just pure nasty.

BUT, I have to agree with 1976...

Americans and others act like 9/11 was the worst thing that ever happened ever(probably only because it was in America), and while it was bad, there are so many more worse events and tragedies that get totally forgotten.

And I guess I should be in keeping with the thread by saying that I had just come home from school and my brother said to me that planes had gones into the Twin Towers and it was on the TV and I just sat down and watched. I won't forget some of the images of people jumping a 100 storeys to their deaths :(

Edited by Saintandy666

Or just maybe I have a very different opinion to you. Sorry for thinking different to you. Sorry for not swallowing the given line about 'those nasty terrorists'. I must just be 13 years old.

Pathetic really, that most people are so completely brainwashed that they can't think outside the barriers that they find themselves in. So here is a nice easy one for you: What makes it wrong for a bunch of disaffected Moslems to hijack commercial airplanes and fly them into tall buildings but makes it perfectly right - and indeed a cause of celebration! - for a committee of generals to target civilian areas with stealth bombers knowing - yes, knowing! - that there will be 'collateral damage', to achieve their military aims. This 'collateral damage' was women, children and non-combatants. But yet 'our side' killed them anyway. So, perhaps before you get on your high horse, dear Um Bungo, and resort to infantile put downs you might ponder a minute upon the moral question I have just outlined.

What exactly gives us the right to kill 1,000,000 innocent civilians? Go on, have a stab at answering that.

Nothing gives anyone the right to kill someone else. How about that for a stab.

So why do you screw up a memorial thread asking for memories and where you were. Stick your opinions up your a** this thread is about MEMORIES.

Start your own and ask the question it obviously means So much to you

Oh but that wouldn't be well 'ard would it.

And no, some innernet 'ard man in the comfort of some dodgy bedsit in the Uk is totally NOt qualified to comment on what that moron Bush subsequently did to the world.

But anyone who doesn't see the link between the two is a total ............

Now sod off and ruin another thread