European Train Travel

Dog

I am after a some advice on this one.

I have a birthday coming up in november and myself and three mates are going on a trip.

I have chosen to get a train and visit the following cities: Munich, Budapest, Berlin, Hamburg and Amsterdam for 5 days, stopping at each destination along the way.

Looking for train advice, cost, where to stay and city advice. Or as per usual, just go with the flow.

Thanks in advance.

I am after a some advice on this one.

I have a birthday coming up in november and myself and three mates are going on a trip.

I have chosen to get a train and visit the following cities: Munich, Budapest, Berlin, Hamburg and Amsterdam for 5 days, stopping at each destination along the way.

Looking for train advice, cost, where to stay and city advice. Or as per usual, just go with the flow.

Thanks in advance.

Well that sounds like an awesome trip but are you saying that you've only got 5 days in total? You might be biting off a bit more than you can chew and only get a tiny glimpse of what's on offer - if you've only got a little time maybe cut it down to 2 or 3. I know Berlin and Hamburg pretty well having visited both several times.

Berlin is packed full of interesting things to see you are interested in WWII/COld War history but is really quite spread out so you need to be prepared to do a bit of walking. The checkpoint Charlie museum is a definite as is the walk from Alexander Platz (TV tower) to Brandenburg Gate - you pass unloved communist era staues to Marx/Engels etc, the tomb of the unknown soldier, and the square where the Nazis burned books. Within walking distance of the Brandenburg gate is the Reichstag, the Soviet War memorial, the Holocaust Memorial and a musuem focusing upon the terror inflicted by the Gestapo. You can also do stuff like tours of Nuclear shelters plus there is there is also the Olympic Stadium with Jesse Owens and all that. As far as nightlife goes I'm not too clued up as we were more in sight-seeing mode and it was during the world cup so we just went to the Fans Mile. I'd suggest getting some pointers from the internet/guide books on the best places to go out as it isn't that obvious where the good places to go are.

Hamburg is a brilliant night out. The reeperbahn is well stocked with pubs, kareoke bars, clubs, strip clubs and whore houses. Despite the obvious sleeze there is actually a very mixed crowd in the pubs and clubs and there seemed to be a distinct lack of idiots with a bad attitude. You can wander around the whore houses - "Laffhaus" - even if you're not buying and chat to the birds - or negotiate if you are. If you can visit on the weekend then I'd suggest doing that as it will definitely be more lively. Hamburg also has the Cavern Club where the Beatles did numerous gigs before they made it. Obviously there are good places to go away from the reeperbahn. Both cities have tonnes of cheap accommodation that is centrally located and there will be plenty near the main train stations you'll be using.

My only other tip isn't specific to any particular place but it is to get into the continental way of doing things which means taking it easy during the early evening and not getting ****ed too early. City centre bars don't really get going until midnightish and if you lager up in true brit style you'll be back in the hotel just as it gets going.

Well that sounds like an awesome trip but are you saying that you've only got 5 days in total? You might be biting off a bit more than you can chew and only get a tiny glimpse of what's on offer - if you've only got a little time maybe cut it down to 2 or 3. I know Berlin and Hamburg pretty well having visited both several times.

Berlin is packed full of interesting things to see you are interested in WWII/COld War history but is really quite spread out so you need to be prepared to do a bit of walking. The checkpoint Charlie museum is a definite as is the walk from Alexander Platz (TV tower) to Brandenburg Gate - you pass unloved communist era staues to Marx/Engels etc, the tomb of the unknown soldier, and the square where the Nazis burned books. Within walking distance of the Brandenburg gate is the Reichstag, the Soviet War memorial, the Holocaust Memorial and a musuem focusing upon the terror inflicted by the Gestapo. You can also do stuff like tours of Nuclear shelters plus there is there is also the Olympic Stadium with Jesse Owens and all that. As far as nightlife goes I'm not too clued up as we were more in sight-seeing mode and it was during the world cup so we just went to the Fans Mile. I'd suggest getting some pointers from the internet/guide books on the best places to go out as it isn't that obvious where the good places to go are.

Hamburg is a brilliant night out. The reeperbahn is well stocked with pubs, kareoke bars, clubs, strip clubs and whore houses. Despite the obvious sleeze there is actually a very mixed crowd in the pubs and clubs and there seemed to be a distinct lack of idiots with a bad attitude. You can wander around the whore houses - "Laffhaus" - even if you're not buying and chat to the birds - or negotiate if you are. If you can visit on the weekend then I'd suggest doing that as it will definitely be more lively. Hamburg also has the Cavern Club where the Beatles did numerous gigs before they made it. Obviously there are good places to go away from the reeperbahn. Both cities have tonnes of cheap accommodation that is centrally located and there will be plenty near the main train stations you'll be using.

My only other tip isn't specific to any particular place but it is to get into the continental way of doing things which means taking it easy during the early evening and not getting ****ed too early. City centre bars don't really get going until midnightish and if you lager up in true brit style you'll be back in the hotel just as it gets going.

Spot on advice there. No way could you do al those cities in 5 days, just pick one or two of them, Berlin and Hamburg are excellent, probably about £25/30 on the train I think between the two.

Spot on advice there. No way could you do al those cities in 5 days, just pick one or two of them, Berlin and Hamburg are excellent, probably about £25/30 on the train I think between the two.

Agree on Hamburg, went there for a couple of days a few years ago, and the Reeperbahn, is a great crack in more ways than one.

I was hoping to go for 5 nights, have a night in each city and fawk orf in the morning before the dust settles tbf.

What's your rationale behind those cities, Dog, and your plans? Amsterdam, Hamburg and Berlin are (so-called) "cool" cities, so you could party most of the night, then around 5 a.m. get the first train to the next place (sleeping on the train will save the costs of hotels) and it's probably do-able for 5 nights (assuming you're reasonably young!). Munich and Budapest are a bit "different" - both wonderful cities, but perhaps not as "full-on" as the others on your list. Plus Munich is horrendously expensive (although admittedly I’ve only been there on business and stayed at the Konigshof). Budapest is a very handsome and cultural city (or two cities actually Buda and Pest), but probably worth a separate visit (if you’ve blown 3 days partying in Amsterdam, Hamburg and Berlin, you may be a bit knackered to wander around!) – Prague may be a closer compromise? London – Amsterdam – Hamburg – Berlin – Prague – Berlin/Hamburg/Amsterdam – London could be done with a day/night in each?

Ignore the man who says you can negotiate with the whores in Hamburg.....they still bump up the price when you are in there!

waste of time anyway, plenty of nice local girls out and about in the clubs and bars.

If you are interested in football culture some good grounds to do on the way, and you might get lucky doing a couple of matches en route. There is a Hamburg fans bar just off the Reeperbahn, and St Pauli's ground is at the end of the road, interesting club shop there, pictures of the clubs support from the 70s and 80s. Berlin needs a couple of days as well i reckon.

http://www.bahn.de best website for trains in Germany.

No way should you try and do all those places in just 5 days though, madness. Go for longer or just stick to Germany I reckon.

No way should you try and do all those places in just 5 days though, madness. Go for longer or just stick to Germany I reckon.

Agree, JRM; Not sure you can even do justice to Hamburg, Berlin AND Munich in 5 days?

By the way, Dog, here's the Dutch train equivalent: http://www.ns.nl (should be an English version offered on the homepage).

If you decide to pass through NL, then let me know!