News Updates on the main site page.

Colinjb

Yes, the last news article is Pardew's dissmisal. It annoys me, it annoys many of you all as well but there is an easy solution.

I would be happy to volunteer to do the news articles whenever something happens. It's an easy solution to the problem. Mods/Owners, any objections to this idea in principle?

Crap as well as that is included when we're told what we're paying £5 for.

I understand what you are saying mate, but that's not the point here. The point is that I am quite willing to put it right so the site can concentrate on staying reliable and well moderated.

is a bit of a poor show realy. when people 1st mentioned about updating it, Steve said he was in the process of moving so hadn't the time to do it.

Pickfords service must have got bad lately then ;)

To be fair, I still haven't moved, thanks to solicitors, management companies, etc :facepalm:

I am hoping to put the wheels in motion towards getting the news section sorted tonight. However, I would also say that the viewing figures on the articles that were being written were pretty low, so it would seem to me that a lot of people are complaining for the sake of complaining. Just to make a change.

To be fair, I still haven't moved, thanks to solicitors, management companies, etc :facepalm:

I am hoping to put the wheels in motion towards getting the news section sorted tonight. However, I would also say that the viewing figures on the articles that were being written were pretty low, so it would seem to me that a lot of people are complaining for the sake of complaining. Just to make a change.

That's not really the point Steve on two counts:

1) It matters not whether something is being used if you sold it. I don't begrudge the salesman who sold me my car if I don't drive it (but I do if it won't start).

2) Having an old news item on the frontpage (particularly one so obviously old) effectively says the site is shut for business, therefore the forum suffers as well. The casual visitor won't bother going beyond the front page.

But, in fairness, it's not as if much newsworthy has happened since the Pardew was sacked.... oh....

You seem to be able to write often enough for the ramble force.

To be fair Steve, a lot of the pages have old or no content at all - they need addressing. As somebody else has alluded to, seeing yesterdays news on the site does nothing to promote new users.

I think Colins suggestion is worth consideration - would lighten the load on those currenly trying to run this beast. If people are willing to contribute, most pages could probably be kept 'current' with an article a week - worth considering I think, if it is going to enhance the site and draw new users.

Please note though - this is not a dig, appreciate all of the efforts of those who run this, merely an opinion. Thanks.

1) It matters not whether something is being used if you sold it. I don't begrudge the salesman who sold me my car if I don't drive it (but I do if it won't start).

Except the "news" part of the site isn't part of the "sale". Everyone has access to that part of the site if they choose to use it. The subscription gets you full access to the forum.

2) Having an old news item on the frontpage (particularly one so obviously old) effectively says the site is shut for business, therefore the forum suffers as well. The casual visitor won't bother going beyond the front page.

While it's a reasonable point, the user stats show that the vast majority of people visiting the site go straight to the forum. 88% of people "land" (i.e. the first page of a visit) on one of the forum index pages, compared to 4% at the overall home page (the rest are specific links, usually straight into a thread).

As I said earlier, I'll be getting the news bit sorted shortly.

While it's a reasonable point, the user stats show that the vast majority of people visiting the site go straight to the forum. 88% of people "land" (i.e. the first page of a visit) on one of the forum index pages, compared to 4% at the overall home page (the rest are specific links, usually straight into a thread).

As I said earlier, I'll be getting the news bit sorted shortly.

I use to go to the 'news' page but now go straight to the forum as I know the news was out of date. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

What is the aim of the news page for a forum? Perhaps answering that question will decide it's fate.

I think that's the wrong attitude to adopt. People on here are still effectively customers & people, including admin, are quick to rightly criticise the club for lack of updates. I realise it's not full time, paid work but there is income & expenditure therefore a level of service. Maybe viewing figures are low because news items are vastly out of date & rarely updated. Maybe most use the site for the forum in which case, discontinue the news feed.

My key observation being that neglected web pages just become obsolete. People give up checking on non-maintained pages. Worst being 'site under construction' or static pages without at least a weekly update. You wouldn't keep picking up a week old Echo to read. You'd chuck it in the bin or cast it into the paper basket wilderness. Same applies to the new cyber aether of web pages & news feeds. Love it or leave it.

To be fair, I don't think it matters much. The forum has died a death & with the club being run like an investment bank rather than a community club, I know many (non web-based fans included) that have got bored or are starting to lose interest & go infrequently cos there's not much news or interest generated other than club propaganda. Have to say, I agree.

I go & watch but the buzz from forum gossip, reserve news, youth prospects, transfer targets/news & staff appointments or academy news is almost non existent. Come on, a club of Saints size & ambition with little weekly news? Unlikely. PR agencies, David Bick springing to mind, are employed yet they've an easy job as they can't have to do much. Their brief seems to be to stop any outgoing information rather than supply it. Can't be easy to keep this quiet but I'm bemused by the business merit.

In fairness, forum users bicker so much & trolls stirring gets so tiring, no wonder people give up. I've noticed an unrelenting, very unreasonable & arrogant attitude by a significant faction of our fans too. One misplaced pass & it's jeering & shouting. Pathetic. No wonder Adkins tries diplomatically commenting on it. Top chap!

Steve has said he will update it. So leave him to it. I am also sure that if people write decent articles about Saints News then the Admins wouldn't mind adding them in (of course, I may be talking out of turn here).

Give it a go.

If it takes three months to "update" a news front page following a manager being sacked, several bouts of news on potential replacements/arguments with other clubs about poaching/the appointment of new manager/signing of a new midfielder then I'm not sure "leave him to it" is appropriate.

Just take the news page down. If no one "lands" on that page, then get rid of it alltogether rather than leaving it gathering dust broadcasting ancient history to the Saints universe.

I've "given it a go". The "news" page says the latest news is Pardew has just been sacked. How much of a "go" can we "give it"

Get rid of the news page all together if no one can be bothered to update it [and frankly, if no one can be bothered, that's fine by me. I can get Saints news elsewhere]

But currently, it's an embarrassment.

Edited by CB Fry

If it takes three months to "update" a news front page following a manager being sacked, several bouts of news on potential replacements/arguments with other clubs about poaching/the appointment of new manager/signing of a new midfielder then I'm not sure "leave him to it" is appropriate.

Just take the news page down. If no one "lands" on that page, then get rid of it alltogether rather than leaving it gathering dust broadcasting ancient history to the Saints universe.

I've "given it a go". The "news" page says the latest news is Pardew has just been sacked. How much of a "go" can we "give it"

Get rid of the news page all together if no one can be bothered to update it [and frankly, if no one can be bothered, that's fine by me. I can get Saints news elsewhere]

I agree with this, except that I found Keith's write ups interesting back in the day. Maybe because that was more of an opinion piece rather than just reporting the news elsewhere (except for his ctrlc ctrlv match reports that is :) ). If we are to have a news page then I think it has to be something worth reading. I hate to say it but http://www.truebluearmy.com and http://www.pompey-fans.com have it about right.

To be fair, I don't think it matters much. The forum has died a death & with the club being run like an investment bank rather than a community club, I know many (non web-based fans included) that have got bored or are starting to lose interest & go infrequently cos there's not much news or interest generated other than club propaganda. Have to say, I agree.

I go & watch but the buzz from forum gossip, reserve news, youth prospects, transfer targets/news & staff appointments or academy news is almost non existent. Come on, a club of Saints size & ambition with little weekly news? Unlikely. PR agencies, David Bick springing to mind, are employed yet they've an easy job as they can't have to do much. Their brief seems to be to stop any outgoing information rather than supply it. Can't be easy to keep this quiet but I'm bemused by the business merit.

In fairness, forum users bicker so much & trolls stirring gets so tiring, no wonder people give up. I've noticed an unrelenting, very unreasonable & arrogant attitude by a significant faction of our fans too. One misplaced pass & it's jeering & shouting. Pathetic. No wonder Adkins tries diplomatically commenting on it. Top chap!

To be honest that's been happening for 40 years or more !

Things are being sorted.

Given how strongly you feel about this, i'm sure Steve can expect a PM from you offering to help write up New Articles, Match Reports etc. You certainly know how to paragraph a piece properly, i'll give you that.