Bonfire Night...Sorry Fireworks Night

Dr Who?

Sorry but Bonfire night is never the same anymore. I asked my daughter if she enjoyed bonfire night, and she asked me what a bonfire was!!! You do not see many if anyone doing penny for the guy anymore.

I thought the idea was to burn the guy on a bonfire and then have fireworks at the same time. What happened with all the bonfires? When did they stop? I used to love having a bonfire or going to a bonfire night and there was a huge bonfire.

The world has gone mad, surely we can still have them, or am I missing the point here? All I can think is health and safety but sure the orginised events can still have them?

We should treat bonfire night like the french do bastille day. It is one of the few genuine celebrations that we all all citizens should join in with.

Can we please though just celebrate it on the actual day please.

I agree about Bastille Day. There again, it is my birthday so please help me celebrate as much as possible.

We should treat bonfire night like the french do bastille day. It is one of the few genuine celebrations that we all all citizens should join in with.

Can we please though just celebrate it on the actual day please.

I agree about Bastille Day. There again, it is my birthday so please help me celebrate as much as possible.

It;s probably been deemed offensive to some minority group, for example, if you made a 'Guy' out of straw, then that might offend scarecrows who are made of straw, so they dilute it's popularity year after year until nobody can be bothered. Then the H&S clipboard warriors will get involved and demand a full risk assessment of your bonfire, no doubt these days you have to pay for a private safety company to attend, in case there is an issue and they need to put the fire out as we are all too stupid to do it for ourselves. Then there's the smoke issue, if the bonfire is wet, there might be too much smoke when the wood is set alight, we don't want to be damaging the ozone now do we in the name of a bit of fun.

Bastille day, now that is wonderful.

It;s probably been deemed offensive to some minority group, for example, if you made a 'Guy' out of straw, then that might offend scarecrows who are made of straw, so they dilute it's popularity year after year until nobody can be bothered. Then the H&S clipboard warriors will get involved and demand a full risk assessment of your bonfire, no doubt these days you have to pay for a private safety company to attend, in case there is an issue and they need to put the fire out as we are all too stupid to do it for ourselves. Then there's the smoke issue, if the bonfire is wet, there might be too much smoke when the wood is set alight, we don't want to be damaging the ozone now do we in the name of a bit of fun.

Bastille day, now that is wonderful.

I attended the Bonfire Night at Colerne in Wiltshire, it has been a notable village event since at least my childhood in the 60's, the bonfire is huge with guys from a competition sitting prominently atop the pyre and a big firework display lasting 25 mins, I reckon this year there were upwards of 1000 people in attendance which for a village of just over 2000 is pretty good going.

I attended the Bonfire Night at Colerne in Wiltshire, it has been a notable village event since at least my childhood in the 60's, the bonfire is huge with guys from a competition sitting prominently atop the pyre and a big firework display lasting 25 mins, I reckon this year there were upwards of 1000 people in attendance which for a village of just over 2000 is pretty good going.

On the train back to Yeovil Junction last night, I saw a good 10 or so bonfires.

I also counted 5 people doing the washing up in their kitchens as we came into Salisbury.

Lack of people with dishwashers down that way then? Did you see any other action??

On the train back to Yeovil Junction last night, I saw a good 10 or so bonfires.

I also counted 5 people doing the washing up in their kitchens as we came into Salisbury.

Lack of people with dishwashers down that way then? Did you see any other action??

When I lived there we used to have a fire on Preston Beach, and once in Rodwell railway station.

There were at least 10 bonfires all along the beach friday night, and you could see more going right round to Bowleaze. Looked awesome standing on the harbour by the pavilion.

Massive fireworks display in Basingstoke on Friday evening which seemed to last somewhere between a half hour and forty five minutes, alas no bonfire or guys though!

However, I went to the Anvil on Saturday evening to see Jarred Christmas and during the five minute walk home afterwards through smog, mine and my mrs' clothes picked up the distinct stench of bonfire smoke. So Bonfires are alive and well in Basingstoke!

Kids musn't need to collect the money for their fireworks anymore, as I haven't seen a 'penny for the guy' in ten years. Parents it's up to you, to start this tradition again, next year refuse to pay for fireworks.