Christmas adverts

rocknrollman no2

Starbucks have already got their xmas coffee's and xmas decorations (paper snowflakes on window)

They are also playing fecking christmas music aswell. I walked out of the Starbucks at Membury services without purchasing a cofffee last night because of this.

Is the capitalist system ruining our festive season?

It's waaaaay too late for that. Christmas was hijacked by capitalism a long, long time ago. Did you know that Santa Claus was traditionally depicted as wearing a green suit until Coca-Cola came along and re-branded him for their own purposes?

Christmas as it is in the 21st century is an utter abomination. The old pagan festival of Yule used to be all about celebrating the returning of the light after the winter solstice. Then it was hijacked by Christianity with some load of old tosh about an immaculate conception of the son of God (despite the fact that most historians believe that Jesus was actually born in june). Now it has been raped by corporations who see it purely as a way to make profit, and people lap it up.

I would much rather go back to the old Pagan ways myself. Gather your friends and family on winter solstice and eat, drink and be merry.

What is Christmas?

OK I joke. One of the things I really like about down here. We get a proper Christmas, the Malls are decorated, Crimble songs in shops and on the radio. Christmas Parties in the pubs, heck, we even get Santa and his Grottos.

BUT - none of it starts until at least around the end of the first week of December and on the Radio, not until actual Christmas week.

Far far FAR more Christmassy, even if we do have to go and walk on the beach for a sundowner before the Queen's speech.

Mind you, the Garden Centre was TRYING to flog Plastic tress last week for 70 quid a pop

They are also playing fecking christmas music aswell. I walked out of the Starbucks at Membury services without purchasing a cofffee last night because of this.

Fair play. The more people who do this the better. I would definitely be more likely to shop at a place that had a big sign up saying 'Xmas music not played here'. Especially at the start of November.

The USA isn't quite as bad as the UK (yet). This is mainly because they wait until after Thanksgiving (end of November) before making the big 'you will have fun and spend money for Xmas' push.

Anyway - smash up all Cliff Richard records and get some alternative Xmas tunes on the stereo:

Peter & The Test Tube Babies - I'm Getting P#ssed For Christmas

The Business - B#llocks to Christmas

The Yobs - Twelve Days Of Christmas

Fear - F#ck Christmas

Wat Tyler - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Macc Lads - Jingle Bells

UK Subs - Hey Santa

+ many more but you get the idea. There are half alright Xmas songs around if you know where to look...

At least it is still called Christmas - in California it's called 'The Holidays" by the tv channels in case some people are offended!!!

This is so irritating and every year it still ****es me off.

Other states such as PA and NY still manage to say Christmas so it's not all of the U.S.

So be grateful the PC Police have not hijacked Christmas.... yet.