History

SO16_Saint

Is anyone else as ignorant / unaware of the history of England as I am?

I have no real idea of when things happened in the past, like actual dates of world wars etc and who was king / queen when and prime ministers etc etc.

Which is why I've asked for a book from sainsburys that explains this in basics for my little mind to cope with!

Anyone else as bad as me, or am I alone?!?

Hopefully it'll be the start of a fascinating journey for you Bridgey! Good to get in the habbit of, when you wonder "how did that come to be?", going home and getting on google and reading up on whatever it was that made you ponder! I usually end up going off on a tangent and learning about all sorts of random ****.

I woudln't worry too much. The material worth of knowing these things is small, and I don't personally believe it has to matter to you. Some jingoists might argue otherwise, but you don't need to know dates to be a nationality. Some people find history engaging, interesting, and others simply weren't bothered.

Is anyone else as ignorant / unaware of the history of England as I am?

I have no real idea of when things happened in the past, like actual dates of world wars etc and who was king / queen when and prime ministers etc etc.

Which is why I've asked for a book from sainsburys that explains this in basics for my little mind to cope with!

Anyone else as bad as me, or am I alone?!?

It's hard to know of we're as thick as you as we don't know what you don't know other than the brief descripton you give, which is vague.

Instead of wasting your money, why don't you ask some history questions on this thread and find out some more information. What do you want to know?

This Thursday is an excellent opportunity to get a tiny glimpse of history. History is punctuated by wars, not just the big ones either, some vey very interesting 'battles' have shaped our society.

Watching a program tonight reminded of us how women have become empowered. First they fed and clothed our grandparents whilst the menfolk went off to fight for freedom, and then when their husbands and sons did not come home, they fought on for their just rewrds in an unfair system, iirc it was late in the twenties when 'they' finaly realised that dream, 'they' being only the women who were over 31 AND only then only if they were married.

The lesson that we can learn from just that one little snippet is that war is such an irony; nations send their strongest, fittest and most needed off to fight and leave a vast void which is inevitably filled by womenfolk, imho it is the strength within a nations women that wins wars, after all it is from women that our next generations come from.

History is everywhere that you look, seriously, next time you are stood in Mayflower Park have a read of the plaque near the gate, this is where some very large parts of the US begantheir lives.

I woudln't worry too much. The material worth of knowing these things is small, and I don't personally believe it has to matter to you. Some jingoists might argue otherwise, but you don't need to know dates to be a nationality. Some people find history engaging, interesting, and others simply weren't bothered.

Absolutely dates are only markers of the exact chronological position in history. It should be added that in reverse you can pick any year in history and research it, you can do this in any village church. You don't have to be in the middle of a field in Naseby.

Having said that, this is a great timeline of the English Civil War:

http://www.historyonthenet.com/Chronology/timelinecivilwar.htm

Last entry says a lot about how far we have moved on, although I am sure some on here would bring back public execution tomorrow if you don't keep an eye on them. One thing I will say about the democratic system that came after that particular war, at least there is no way that any nutters can slip through the net. ;-)

I have definitely become a lot more interested in history as I have got older, although I also don't really know the specific dates or anything; I don't personally believe that the technicalities of the subject are important. For me it is all about understanding the essence and learning the lessons of our historical mistakes.

For anyone interested in much, much older history, going back to the dawn of civilisation even, there is a very interesting-looking series starting tomorrow night on BBC2. This is the kind of history I have become fascinated with over recent years as it gives an insight into why human society is the way it is now, even if it is wildly different from its humble beginnings.

Try "An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years Of Upper Class Idiots In Charge)" by John O'farrel

It is a Bill Brysoneque / tongue in cheek view of how we got to where we are. It is not going to help you pass a history degree, but it isn't dull and dreary like many history books.

Two excellent high level books for you Bridgey. They cover a huge amount at a 10,000 mile high altitude.

What on Earth happened? ...in Brief by Christopher Lloyd

A Short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson

otherwise specifically on "us"....

A History of England in a Nutshell by John Mathew

A History of Modern Britain by Andrew Marr

Edited by GenevaSaint

I have definitely become a lot more interested in history as I have got older, although I also don't really know the specific dates or anything; I don't personally believe that the technicalities of the subject are important. For me it is all about understanding the essence and learning the lessons of our historical mistakes.

For anyone interested in much, much older history, going back to the dawn of civilisation even, there is a very interesting-looking series starting tomorrow night on BBC2. This is the kind of history I have become fascinated with over recent years as it gives an insight into why human society is the way it is now, even if it is wildly different from its humble beginnings.

There is an argument by post modernists that what you cite there as history isn't actually history at all as it no longer effects current political policy...

The 'technical' side of the discipline is the most 'giving' part of history IMO: It gives you the ability to analyse from both 'sides' for example and a grounding in not taking arguments on their face value. The technical aspect is the reason why even today in this scientific world, the art based subject of history is still one of the most employable degrees to have.

Several times, even at Uni, when I've spoken about the Civil War people always assume I mean the American Civil War!

Which civil war was that ?

Stephen & Matilda ? The War of the Roses ? Either of the Parliament vs Charles I conflicts ? The Monmouth rebellion ? The barons' wars against King John and Henry III ? Or the Glorious Revolution ?

When studying or reading about History it is important to view events in the context of the time they happened.

Bang on. Too much hand wringing or analysis of past activites (whether they be wars, slavery, empire building etc.) by todays standards and morals distort our views. Try and understand the life at the time, the fear of invasion, the fear of revolution or perhaps the excitment of discovering new lands and so on and then look at what happened and appreciate for that reason.

There was a good article in G2 yesterday listing the six things all Children should learn about our (British) history, the six do not include any great inter state wars or battles, they are in the authors (Simon Scharma) opionion the key things that have shaped our nation, his choice in chronological order is, The Murder of Thomas Beckett, The Black Death and the Peasants Revolt, The Execution of Charles I, The Indian Moment, The Irish Wars and the Opium Wars. The key is it these events are key to our national psyche and are not those things that simply glorified us. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/nov/09/future-history-schools

I love history. I think that it is fascinating to learn how we got were we are today. I went to this (as well as the slightly smaller "Blast From the Past" at Broadlands) http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/events/festival-of-history-2010/ earlier in the year. Its a fantastic way to get kids in particular, interested in history. It`s very "hands on", unlike book learning, and also very informative, not just the military stuff, but the Living History groups too.

Bang on. Too much hand wringing or analysis of past activites (whether they be wars, slavery, empire building etc.) by todays standards and morals distort our views. Try and understand the life at the time, the fear of invasion, the fear of revolution or perhaps the excitment of discovering new lands and so on and then look at what happened and appreciate for that reason.

Correct.

I agree BUT history has a duty to teach us lessons so that certain moments in history never have a chance to happen again.

I agree BUT history has a duty to teach us lessons so that certain moments in history never have a chance to happen again.

History can offer us only an insight as to why events happened, but it is up to us to implement that knowledge in the current. Sadly, it doesn't always work.