The Universe - Poll

benjii

Infinite expansion. I wish I could explain why, but it's in a book somewhere that I read with a lot of evidence. Basically, it all ends up with only a few photons left in the entire universe :(

My own theory which is totally unbacked up by anything is that the universe continuously refreshes itself. Black holes munch up matter and spew it out elsewhere.

Infinite expansion - universe expansion speed is increasing and gravity can't keep up.

Doesn't matter really as it's too long away to worry about.

I'd be more interested to know if intelligent life was likely to be found elsewhere within my lifetime.

How old are you?

Infinite expansion as the rate that galaxies are going away from each other is speeding up somehow.

Eventually all matter will split apart from itself into a huge (think all matter in the universe) uniform sub sub sub atomic plasma ball

Zoom out from that plasma ball a near infinite amount and you have a superparticle in an infinite universe, which will explode into a big bang and create a new universe.

a) Steady State

b) Infinite Expansion

c) Big Crunch

Please give your answer with reasons.

Ta.

Finite expansion ...because we will experience the heat death of the universe before it stops expanding.

Namely (brief version) energy is conserved overall -whenever change from one sort of energy to another, some becomes heat energy ..eventually all is heat.

Finite expansion ...because we will experience the heat death of the universe before it stops expanding.

Namely (brief version) energy is conserved overall -whenever change from one sort of energy to another, some becomes heat energy ..eventually all is heat.

We knew this as the Clausius Inequality, or the second law of thermodynamics.

The first law says you can't win.

The second law says you can't break even.

The third law says you can't stay out of the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clausius_theorem

• 3 weeks later...
Infinite expansion as the rate that galaxies are going away from each other is speeding up somehow.

Eventually all matter will split apart from itself into a huge (think all matter in the universe) uniform sub sub sub atomic plasma ball

Zoom out from that plasma ball a near infinite amount and you have a superparticle in an infinite universe, which will explode into a big bang and create a new universe.

Umm... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11837869

Interesting indeed. Perhaps that explains my increase in mass in recent years? Or maybe my gravitational mass is attracting everything towards me at cosmic speeds? My mind is boggling.

maybe that where your hair colouring went mate, left behind in the wasteland of space....