Lest We Forget

georgeweahscousin

They joined for many reasons, to march, to sail, to fly, they went where they were posted but nobody joins to die. Their leaders talk on TV what else could we have done? But those leaders lost no daughters and none has lost a son. So heres to all our soldiers wherever they may be.....and heres to all their families, I raise a glass to thee...... Wear your Poppy with Pride and support our troops!

Lest We Forget.

Here's to my great grandfather, Chief Engineer John Ledingham, who was killed when his merchant navy convoy crossing the north Atlantic was attacked by a pack of German U-boats in 1942; and to his brother (my great, great uncle???) Captain James Ledingham who was killed in action in Broembeck, Belgium in 1917. Neither body was ever found.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

Here's to my Great Uncle Flight Lt Michael Ferris, who was killed during the Battle of Britain. He was involved in a dogfight in his Hurricane with a German Do17 when both planes collided and crashed near Marden, Kent. Both pilots were killed in the crash. There is an apple tree planted at the crash site which families of both have visited in the past to pay their respects. After some Googling I found his memorial on a website:

F/Lt Henry Michael 'Mike' Ferris of No 111 Squadron flew in France where he shot down a Bf109 and three Bf110's. He shot down 2 more Bf109's on the 6th of June 1940 and 1 more on the 10th of June and was awarded a DFC (Distinguished Flying Cross). On the 10th of July 1940 he shot down another Bf109 over Folkestone and shared in the destruction of a Do17. He shot down a Do17 in early August 1940, then was killed on the 16th of August 1940 when his Hurricane collided with a Do17 during a head-on attack over Marden, Kent at 12:45hrs.

Here's also to my Grandfather Ronald Macdonald (don't laugh), who fought for the Black Watch Highlanders during World War II and witnessed the deaths of many of his close friends and companions in some of the most awful conditions imaginable in places like Tobruk, Burma and Alamein. Ronald survived the war, but came back a changed man. He died in the late 1960s.

Here's to my Great Uncle Flight Lt Michael Ferris, who was killed during the Battle of Britain. He was involved in a dogfight in his Hurricane with a German Do17 when both planes collided and crashed near Marden, Kent. Both pilots were killed in the crash. There is an apple tree planted at the crash site which families of both have visited in the past to pay their respects. After some Googling I found his memorial on a website:

Here's also to my Grandfather Ronald Macdonald (don't laugh), who fought for the Black Watch Highlanders during World War II and witnessed the deaths of many of his close friends and companions in some of the most awful conditions imaginable in places like Tobruk, Burma and Alamein. Ronald survived the war, but came back a changed man. He died in the late 1960s.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=2824545

Here's also to my Grandfather Ronald Macdonald (don't laugh),

Would never laugh, mate, these guys were all heroes and deserve our eternal respect; not saying Tobruk and Alamein were picnics in the park, but my own granddad was out in Burma and from what I've read, how these guys survived (both physically and mentally) was incredible.

Heroes - every one of them.

Millions of Britons have fallen silent to remember those who have died in war.

But in London the solemn moment was marred by a small group of protesters calling themselves Muslims Against Crusades, who burned a model of a poppy.

As the clock struck 11am, the nation paused to mark the anniversary of Armistice Day, when peace returned to Europe at the end of the First World War.

The agreement between Germany and the Allies after four years of fighting took effect at the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918.

Wearing their poppies with pride, people joined in the two-minute silence as various commemoration services and events were held around the country.

The protest, in Exhibition Road, Kensington, involved about 30 people.

About 50 counter demonstrators gathered nearby but the two sides were kept apart by police.

Police clashed briefly with members of the Muslims Against Crusades group at one stage and at least one man was dragged to the floor and arrested.

But order was quickly restored as officers completely surrounded the small group.

article-1328703-0C0524CF000005DC-715_634x457.jpg

More...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328703/Remembrance-Day-Poppy-burning-Muslim-protesters-mar-Armistice-Day.html

We visited my missus' Great Uncle's wargrave on the Somme a couple of years ago. He had been killed in one of the latter stages of that battle. He was only 21.

It was in one of the smaller Somme cemetaries; off the beaten track and amongst some woodland. It was amazingly still and peaceful.

We laid some flowers and it made me truly think that I could never have done when these young men did.

We visited my missus' Great Uncle's wargrave on the Somme a couple of years ago. He had been killed in one of the latter stages of that battle. He was only 21.

It was in one of the smaller Somme cemetaries; off the beaten track and amongst some woodland. It was amazingly still and peaceful.

We laid some flowers and it made me truly think that I could never have done when these young men did.

My great uncles name is on the Thiepval memorial at The Somme, and the place is so humbeling. The memorial bears the names of over 78,000 names of the missing (JUST the missing!!) from The Battles of the Somme. This was mainly from a five month period.

Every half a mile or so there is another cemetery with British graves in.

They should never be forgotten.

I was visiting site in Winchester this morning, and had the honour to be in the city centre as the veterans were paying their respects. It was quite a humbling & moving experience, witnessing the proud old men with their glistening medals.

Here's to my 2 Grandfathers & step Grandfather, and all those that fought in the wars, whose bravery & dedication should be an inspiration to us all.

Indeed. I've just gone and stood outside for the 2 minutes silence. My colleague and I were the only people that I saw.

What does that last bit mean? Do you mean you are appalled that nobody else was out there or pleased because people were obviously not outside doing stuff but had stopped to observe the silence?

I observed my silence at my work desk. Was I supposed be doing it conspicuously so that everybody could see? I don't know the etiquette.

What does that last bit mean? Do you mean you are appalled that nobody else was out there or pleased because people were obviously not outside doing stuff but had stopped to observe the silence?

I observed my silence at my work desk. Was I supposed be doing it conspicuously so that everybody could see? I don't know the etiquette.

A few years ago we would see a few others standing quietly outside, but this year it seemed exceptionally quiet. I go outside to avoid the telephone. We are next to the BP storage terminal at Hamble and they sound a siren to mark the start and end of the silence. There were no delivery vans either so it may just be that they were also stopped. Each to their own. My colleagues in France have a national 'holiday' today so that they can attend the memorial services, but Britain abandoned the silence on the 11th many years ago. Personally I think it has more significance if we stop what we are doing wherever we are and spend a few moments in quiet contemplation of all those to whom we owe so much.

Bless 'em all.

That bunch of Muslims should be arrested like the Tory Councillor, there placards are far more offensive than what he said on his twitter page and were taking out of context according to reports on the radio

those guys with the placard should be deported. They seem to forget that many muslim servicemen laid down there lifes during various conflicts serving in our armed forces.

Arseholes everyone of them