Smoking Ban

Thedelldays

No, it's not EU wide. Individual countries implemented their own legislation effecting a ban. Hence Ireland were, I think, at least a couple of years before us.

And, no, I don't see any possibility of "smoking areas" being introduced. The next measures to be implemented are a ban on tobacco products being displayed in places like newsagents and an outlawing of ciggie vending machines.

Would be odd if when smoking a joint in a cafe in Amsterdam, the dope was legal but the tobacco wasnt.

That's actually the case! You can smoke tobacco in the street (but not dope), and you can smoke dope in the hash cafes (but not tobacco)...

"Odd" is a bit of an understatement!!

Not very civilised for other non smoking cafe users

I'm not a smoker, but the blanket ban hasnt been a runaway success imho. Its hit pubs very hard indeed, I really cant see why there shouldnt have been a beefed up version of smoking rooms, maybe reversing the no-smoking areas idea so that there would be just a few well ventilated smoking areas instead, in pubs that chose to provide them.

And yes, the netherlands situation does seem farcical.

Used to go to a hot, sweaty and very smokey comedy club in Brighton. Even as a smoker your eyes would stream by the end of the night. Then they put in good ventilation in the roof, the smoke went directly upwards away from everybody else, and transformed the place. We didnt need a blanket ban imo.

It's a stupid law. A pub should have the option.

This would suit everyone. A pub would have to (by law) either have a 'Smoking Allowed' or 'Smoking Not Allowed' sign. Pubs would soon find out what sort of pub they are and increase business because of it. It would also be nice if they had to have a 'Kids allowed' or 'Kids not allowed' sign.

I guess the 'powers that be' won't be happy until every non-chain shop and non-chain pub are closed down. That's the way things are heading...

Not surprising though seeing as a lot of daft rules start there.

I see that they still haven't given up on the 6% budget increase. They are threatening to give themselves tax raising powers if they don't get their way in direct contravention to the Lisbon Treaty which they fought so hard to get (according to the press yesterday)

I love how people thought it was something to do with the EU. Typical, absolutely typical. :)

Aha, now dont think that just because it isnt an official EU policy it has nothing to do with the EU. It seems like too much of a coincidence that smoking bans are busting out all over, I smell conspiracy amongst the burghers and mandarins

It's a stupid law. A pub should have the option.

This would suit everyone. A pub would have to (by law) either have a 'Smoking Allowed' or 'Smoking Not Allowed' sign. Pubs would soon find out what sort of pub they are and increase business because of it. It would also be nice if they had to have a 'Kids allowed' or 'Kids not allowed' sign.

I guess the 'powers that be' won't be happy until every non-chain shop and non-chain pub are closed down. That's the way things are heading...

Couldn't agree more, however common sense rarely succeeds when faced with political interference.