Train advice

Huffton

I'm taking my nipper (12) to a gig in London on sunday december 12th. Had a look at SWT site and they reckon the cheapest return for us both is £46! Is that right? Am I likely to get a better deal by turning up on the day, or going a different route?Can anyone who uses trains a bit more regularly shed any light, that seems outrageous.:x

I'm taking my nipper (12) to a gig in London on sunday december 12th. Had a look at SWT site and they reckon the cheapest return for us both is £46! Is that right? Am I likely to get a better deal by turning up on the day, or going a different route?Can anyone who uses trains a bit more regularly shed any light, that seems outrageous.:x

Seemed high to me so I checked on http://www.thetrainline.com but yep apparently thats right. If you get a £26 railcard you save 1/3 on adult & 60% on childrens fares - so if your going to go by train again you'll make your money back. .

Edited by buctootim

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a specific single in advance in each direction than a return but then if you miss your train you run the risk of having to pay twice.

Also, you can sometimes go to London on Megatrain for a pound or two but I don't think they offer prices on Sunday for some reason.

Huffon, if you can find another two people travelling (Just ask in the queue) you can get a group discount, which from memory works out at 18 quid for an adult and 1 pound for the kids.

Oh and a single adult ticket before 8.45 on a weekday from Southampton to Waterloo is 68 quid ...lol

What's the equivalent cost of driving? (parking, petrol, wear and tear, pro-rata car insurance/car tax, tube, etc)....?

What's the equivalent cost of driving? (parking, petrol, wear and tear, pro-rata car insurance/car tax, tube, etc)....?

And hassle of driving........BUT, counter to that is the fact you can travel when you like, in peace and not be restricted to going at silly times of the day, and actually get to where you want to go to.

Parking - if you are far enough out - free - otherwise £2 an hour if in Fulham. Any further in and you are paying £4 an hour or so.

Petrol - at 35mpg say 160 miles return so 4.5 gallons at say £5.40 a gallon = £24.30

Wear & tear - no idea. £5? £10?

Car insurance - not applicable as already going to be in place.

Tube - I have an Oyster Card but say £6