Tory arrested for twitter comment

toofarnorth

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said: "We can confirm a 38-year-old man from Harborne, Birmingham, has been arrested for an offence under section 127 (1a) of the Communications Act of 2003 on suspicion of sending an offensive or indecent message. He has been bailed pending further inquiries."

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=155225466

Is it just me or does this seem a bit OTT. Fine it was stupid to say but if this is an arrestable offence then i'm sure everyone in the country would have fallen foul of this at some point or another. It is scary that we have these kind of laws. Hopefully common sense will prevail and he'll just be told not to be such a knob in the future.

I suppose it was offensive to some but agree it is OTT. Not sure when we became so sensitive in this country or is it only the immigrants that are so sensitive these days? It seems when the boot is on the other foot and Muslims say that we should burn/be killed/go to hell/be stoned/etc etc then that is acceptable. So it is the inconsistency of the law and the prosecution only of WASPs that p**ses me off. We should have one set of standards that all should be judged by.

PS - and yes, it is scary that these laws are in place. If no one has noticed, the powers that be have so much power these days that I really can't see much difference from a totalitarian state (OK an exaggeration as we still have an independent judiciary but....). Things such as Section 5 of the Public Order Act and the Terrorism Act give carte blanche to the police to detain you.

The bit of legislation that I think is so far OTT that it is dangerous is to do with the Olympics. Anyone advertising unofficially on the back of it is going to be "done". That includes you and me putting up signs in our front windows - the police will be able to enter and pull them down/arrest you. If that isn't the government in bed with big business, I don't know what is. http://www.bizreport.com/2008/09/2012_olympics_advertising_restrictions_heavy_handed.html# Of course the Government here forgets that we have all paid for it....! (sorry to go off topic)

I suppose it was offensive to some but agree it is OTT. Not sure when we became so sensitive in this country or is it only the immigrants that are so sensitive these days? It seems when the boot is on the other foot and Muslims say that we should burn/be killed/go to hell/be stoned/etc etc then that is acceptable. So it is the inconsistency of the law and the prosecution only of WASPs that p**ses me off. We should have one set of standards that all should be judged by.

This