Swedish season - the final countdown

........and the winner is.......

Malmö - one of the most southerly clubs in Sweden are Champions of Allsvekskan (Prem.)..just as the snow begins to fall...

(incidentally a team that had great success in the late 1970's under a young English manager called Bob Houghton (!) ..wonder what ever happened to him?)

With rivals Helsingborg only drawing their last game, it was the foreign-dominated Mälmo squad that won the trophy. A revived Örebro side were 12 points behind in third, just ahead of Anders Svensson's Elfsborg side. (local Note: 34 year old Anders and his wife had a baby boy just 2 weeks ago).

Two top Stockholm sides Djurgården and AIK recovered from disasterous starts and finished mid table, whilst at the bottom of the table it was relegation for the Academy-based side Brommapojkarna who had a catastophic season with several of their young stars injured they didn't stand a chance after the summer break. Also down were last years promoted side Åtvidaberg, but it was a reprieve för Gävle who meet local rivals Sundsvall in a play-off for the last place.

Promoted from Superettan (CCC) are Norrköping... and Syrianska (a club originally formed over 20 years ago from the many thousands of Christian refugees from Lebanon and Syria (where they are a persecuted minority in that part of the world).

A fantastic achievement but hard to see that they will be a force to reckon with at the highest level.

There only remains the Swedish Cup Final - which doesn't hold any of the glory of the FA Cup at Wembley, as is dismissed by many Swedes as an afterthought. Shame!

Now it's only Ice Hockey in the headlines, (not my taste)... until the new season starts in April 2011. Talk about a long winter break.!!!

Edited by david in sweden

........and the winner is.......

Malmö - one of the most southerly clubs in Sweden are Champions of Allsvekskan (Prem.)..just as the snow begins to fall...

(incidentally a team that had great success in the late 1970's under a young English manager called Bob Houghton (!) ..wonder what ever happened to him?)

With rivals Helsingborg only drawing their last game, it was the foreign-dominated Mälmo squad that won the trophy. A revived Örebro side were 12 points behind in third, just ahead of Anders Svensson's Elfsborg side. (local Note: 34 year old Anders and his wife had a baby boy just 2 weeks ago).

Two top Stockholm sides Djurgården and AIK recovered from disasterous starts and finished mid table, whilst at the bottom of the table it was relegation for the Academy-based side Brommapojkarna who had a catastophic season with several of their young stars injured they didn't stand a chance after the summer break. Also down were last years promoted side Åtvidaberg, but it was a reprieve för Gävle who meet local rivals Sundsvall in a play-off for the last place.

Promoted from Superettan (CCC) are Norrköping... and Syrianska (a club originally formed over 20 years ago from the many thousands of Christian refugees from Lebanon and Syria (where they are a persecuted minority in that part of the world).

A fantastic achievement but hard to see that they will be a force to reckon with at the highest level.

There only remains the Swedish Cup Final - which doesn't hold any of the glory of the FA Cup at Wembley, as is dismissed by many Swedes as an afterthought. Shame!

Now it's only Ice Hockey in the headlines, (not my taste)... until the new season starts in April 2011. Talk about a long winter break.!!!

Hey! Don't forget the relegation playoffs? Gefle won the first match away at Sundsvall 0-1 so they're in pole-position to secure a spot in the Allsvenskan for a 7th succesive season. I just bought my tickets for tomorrow so lets just hope Gävle will have Allsvensk football next season as well.

Hey! Don't forget the relegation playoffs? Gefle won the first match away at Sundsvall 0-1 so they're in pole-position to secure a spot in the Allsvenskan for a 7th succesive season. I just bought my tickets for tomorrow so lets just hope Gävle will have Allsvensk football next season as well.

Yes Martini,

I think I mentioned that briefly in the above text. Gefle won 2nd leg 2-0 today so will stay up in Allsvenskan next season.

Since first post the Swedish Cup Final has taken place with Helsingborg getting a consolation (for finishing second in league) by beating Hammarby 1-0. Did I say lack of interest ...? the crowd was about 10,000 in a ground that can hold 35,000 ..nuff said.

The Swedes just don't appreciate Cup football.