Salisbury to Bristol

jampot

I have to go to Bristol from Salisbury on Tuesday evening (5pm) and it always seems to be a pig of a drive. Any advice on how not to get caught up in traffic etc. Will be coming back late that evening too. Should I take the same route back?

I go A36 then turn off at a village called Woolverton. That takes you through some proper little villages but I think it's quicker than Devizes or into Bath. If it's rush hour you will always get stuck approaching Bristol anyway though.

Then cut through Radstock and into Bristol on A37, great if you're coming into south Bristol.

What part of Brizzle you going to?

Then cut through Radstock and into Bristol on A37, great if you're coming into south Bristol.

What part of Brizzle you going to?

You go through Norton St Phillip and some other village and you also go through places like Saltford and Coombe Down. You end up going into Bristol on the Bath Road so it takes you right into the centre. It's not a great route for rush hour (it's a ****e route for rush hour!) but if you're not in a rush you go through some nice little valleys and it's more interesting than the quicker M4/A34 route to Soton. It's also about 30 miles shorter; if you go via the motorway you use half as much petrol again. Like I said, not recommended if you're in a rush or if there's a hurrican blowing as you might get a tree on your bonce.