Somali pirates free UK couple Paul and Rachel Chandler

dune

What is interesting is the response of the Somali community in this country. I for one had grumbled to my wife about the treatment of the Chandlers and contrasted it to the safe haven/opportunities extended to the Somali's in this country and said they should be doing more and should feel ashamed. I was very pleasantly surprised (and I have to say felt a little guilty of my earlier thoughts) when I saw that the Somail community here and indeed in the town where the Chandlers were held have we are told contributed to the ransom paid. On the TV (and yes I know these can be selective in their slant) in an interview young Somali's and teachers talked of their embarassment of the episode and how it demonstrated a lack of respect for the "people over 50" (since I am in that group I admire that view!) as well as being a slap in the face for the country that had been kind to them.

I know it is another thread but if the muslim comminity on this country are as opposed to the extremism as some say they could also do themselves some big favours by being more vociferous and demonstrative about that opposition, it would do a lot to for their standing in peoples eyes.