North / South Korea

SO16_Saint

The South's army with the yanks have been doing fairly provocative military exercises right on the Korean border recently

The North fired up to 100 artillery shells on a disputed island straddling the maritime border that the North has never recognised, the south fired back. They've frequently had skirmishes there.

Reports at half 7 on Sky News were saying one South Korean soldier has been killed, 3 seriously wounded, and a further 15 or so moderately wounded.

As for the North launching a nuclear missile, Seoul is only 90 miles away from the border so any nuclear explosion there would be seriously detrimental to the North in more ways than one. it's widely thought the North Korean missiles with the longest range can only hit Alaska. Besides it's also widely thought the North don't have the technology to load nuclear fuel on to missiles yet anyway.

Edited by JackFrost

The South's army with the yanks have been doing fairly provocative military exercises right on the Korean border recently

The North fired up to 100 artillery shells on a disputed island straddling the maritime border that the North has never recognised, the south fired back. They've frequently had skirmishes there.

Reports at half 7 on Sky News were saying one South Korean soldier has been killed, 3 seriously wounded, and a further 15 or so moderately wounded.

As for the North launching a nuclear missile, Seoul is only 90 miles away from the border so any nuclear explosion there would be seriously detrimental to the North in more ways than one. it's widely thought the North Korean missiles with the longest range can only hit Alaska. Besides it's also widely thought the North don't have the technology to load nuclear fuel on to missiles yet anyway.

Not talking missiles, I don't think they have them yet!, however, artillery shells with nuclear warheads are a different thing, the Russians were giving them away with every box of Vodka!

Can't they just erect a 8' metal fence to keep them apart. Then stand back and film the bad boys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea_demilitarized_zone

The bit about the Korean Wall is interesting. The US and South Koreans deny it even exists but it's been confirmed by almost every journalist who has gone to North Korea, irrespective of how keen the North Korean guides have been to point it out

It should be all over by the morning, the amount of troops and weapons that North Korea have, they could wipe out Asia in their dinner hour.

Maybe, but all the troops are leg mental. Have you seen all that marching they do? They look like millions of slitty eyed* little Basil Fawilties going into battle.

*I'm not racist, xenophobic, bigoted, etc. If it's good enough for HRH Phil the Greek, it's good enough for me.

i cynic would see this as "another" island in trouble far far away that with commitments in place to said terrortory (or nation in this case)...time (again) to rip down the "for sale" signs on large parts of the Royal Navy....

if it does kick off...lets get maggie back to advise this lot how to "win"

Maybe, but all the troops are leg mental. Have you seen all that marching they do? They look like millions of slitty eyed* little Basil Fawilties going into battle.

*I'm not racist, xenophobic, bigoted, etc. If it's good enough for HRH Phil the Greek, it's good enough for me.

LOL @ anyone saying they arent racist, and in the same sentence comparing themselves to phil the greek!! Priceless :lol:

Erm no. Korea don't have nuclear misiles which can fire far enough away. Absolute worst case scenario is the obliterate each other IMO.

Surely, the absolute worst case scenario is not the 5th (SK) and 6th (NK) largest armies in the world squaring up, but the fact that it might lead to the largest (China) and second largest (USA) squaring up (only of course, if some politicians put their egos before their brains...)

Erm no. Korea don't have nuclear misiles which can fire far enough away. Absolute worst case scenario is the obliterate each other IMO.

So the absolute worse cast scenario is millions and millions of innocents die. That's ok then.

Plus, you have to think of the fallout. Both countries have many nuclear power stations, and if they were to be hit (inevitably, they will) then it would cause a nuclear fallout across most of Eastern Asia and maybe even the West Coast of America. If you add in nuclear attacks on each country, that just increases the radius and intensity of the fallout.

So the absolute worse cast scenario is millions and millions of innocents die. That's ok then.

Plus, you have to think of the fallout. Both countries have many nuclear power stations, and if they were to be hit (inevitably, they will) then it would cause a nuclear fallout across most of Eastern Asia and maybe even the West Coast of America. If you add in nuclear attacks on each country, that just increases the radius and intensity of the fallout.

Seoul is only 80 miles from the North Korean border. If they attacked Seoul with any nuclear device they'd be practically attacking themselves

Seoul is only 80 miles from the North Korean border. If they attacked Seoul with any nuclear device they'd be practically attacking themselves

1) There is a nut in charge... why would he care about the wellbeing of his own people?

2) If Seoul is too close... why not target Busan instead?

I wouldn't put it past the North Koreans though, they've made some pretty bizarre decisions in the past. I don't think they don't have atomic weapons like the South Koreans do, just missiles with nuclear heads, so they'd be relatively safe from any attack. Pyongyang isn't too far off the border either though...

1) There is a nut in charge... why would he care about the wellbeing of his own people?

2) If Seoul is too close... why not target Busan instead?

If they sent a nuke into a South Korean city the nuclear fallout would damage North Korea practically as much as the South. For example the after effects of the Chernobyl explosion went far beyond the borders of the Ukraine let's just say. To say it'd be like trying to kill someone with a stick of dynamite whilst standing next to it yourself is an understatement. Besides as soon as the rocket went into the sky he'd care far more about the US, Russians and South Koreans, invading and toppling his regime, that's if the regime didn't die of the ill effects of the nuclear explosion first. The regime may be eccentric and may torture any of their own citizens that doesn't love Kim-Jong-Il but they aren't that daft.

Anyway, it is widely believed the North Koreans don't have the technology to mount nuclear material on a rocket. They play the nuclear missile card every time they want to gain an advantage in any negotiations.

I haven't seen them nuke the South Koreans after all the previous border skirmishes they've had. If the US and South Koreans were that concerned about the North Korean sending a nuclear missile into Busan or Seoul they wouldn't be carrying out provocative military exercises on the North/South Korean border and poking the dragon.

It must get boring having loads of nuclear weapons and not being allowed to use them, and must be annoying living next door to someone you absolutely hate.

I hate my next door neighbour and if I had a nuclear weapon I would definitely throw it at him.

Pete???