damaged car

JustMike

I parked in my local supermarket carpark this evening, did me shopping. Got back to the car and some **** has decided to leave me a nice foot long scratch / dent on my car! Seriously, if people cannot do something as simple as drive in and out of a marked parking space, why on earth are they on the road!

P!55ed off is an understatement :x

Had that a few weeks ago when parked in a 'parents with young children bay' - the ones with a least three feet either side between spaces. If they cant get in and out of those without hitting somebody else they shouldnt be driving. Pushed the wing in so I cant open the door. Fantastic.

I parked in my local supermarket carpark this evening, did me shopping. Got back to the car and some **** has decided to leave me a nice foot long scratch / dent on my car! Seriously, if people cannot do something as simple as drive in and out of a marked parking space, why on earth are they on the road!

P!55ed off is an understatement :x

i did exactly the same thing just now. No scratch on my car though.

Ask the supermarket if they've got CCTV covering the car park, if they have and they let you have it and you see the tw*t do the deed, do the ****er.

this.

If they do have the incident on tape I imagine that they would have to let you have it, its a criminal offence to damage somebodys car and leave the scene without exchanging details. If they refused, (and I cant think why they would,) you could notify the police.

this.

If they do have the incident on tape I imagine that they would have to let you have it, its a criminal offence to damage somebodys car and leave the scene without exchanging details. If they refused, (and I cant think why they would,) you could notify the police.

They won't let him have any cctv footage (confidentiality etc) so go to the police.

this.

Not in a private car park, you are under no legal requirements to exchange details. But for about a 5er you can get his address details from the DVLA if you get his reg.

Not in a private car park, you are under no legal requirements to exchange details. But for about a 5er you can get his address details from the DVLA if you get his reg.

You sure about that? A tw*ttish mate of mine backed his van into a parked car in chandlers ford asda, in full view of about 5 bystanders, (I know, I know,) and drove off. The police were knocking on his door an hour later threatening to prosecute him for driving away after doing the damage.

Happens a lot over here in NZ as well.

Nearly three-quarters of drivers have had their car damaged while it was parked, but most people who cause damage don't own up to it, the AA Insurance survey said.

The survey of 4336 drivers showed more than 70 percent of drivers had such damage caused, mostly during November in the lead-up to Christmas.

But 91 percent of those who had their car damaged while parked found no contact details from the culprit when they returned.

"This year we have received an average of 377 claims per month from customers whose cars were damaged while parked, and in most cases the person

who caused the damage did not leave their details," AA Insurance deputy general manager Martin Fox said.

The survey said 33 percent of such incidents happened at supermarkets, while 18 percent happened at shopping centres.

Link :- http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8334460/most-drivers-have-had-cars-damaged-while-parked/

my brother had someone drive into his car in a B&Q store about 7-8 years ago and they drove off without leaving details.

He went to the police with a photo of the damage, a photo of where his car was parked in relation to the nearest CCTV camera and an exact timescale of when it could have happened (approx 30 min window).

A short while later he received a letter saying the person responsible had been caught on camera and prosecuted for leaving the scene of an accident without reporting it. I think they ended up with a hefty fine.

I must be wrong then, i was pretty sure it was the case. I suppose it depends on where

Edit - Just looked it up, apparantly the law has changed, it used to be as above however now you are obliged to give information if the car park is freely accessible to everyone but you do not if it has a lockable gate apparantly.

Edited by Smirking_Saint

i opened my van door and left the tiniest possible mark on a business womans flash sports cars wing mirror, ***** insisted on claiming on my insurance, i coulda fixed it in 30 secs if id had some tcut on me.

my mrs also left a tiny mark on someones bumper, they claimed about 250 quid to replace that.

get a life you arseholes, people in general i mean, not the op

Nor am i, and TBH if you offered me the cash to get it sorted i would take it, but not everyone would, i would however be pretty f*cked off if someone hit my car door with theres, it really isn't hard to be careful, if you have to put your hand on the outside of the door.

And yeah i have made mistakes, and been stung for them at times.

Just saying you can't really moan too much for doing something that is easily avoidable.

Tell me about it

About a 3 months ago a round 1 in the morning. Some pr1ck crashed into my car and the next door neighbours car (Evo X) pushing both cars onto the kerb. And proceeded drive/hobble/steam off down the road and down a side road. Writing BOTH cars off to the tune of 22k worth of damage.

To cap it off no one got the reg number, police took an hour to respond, so the tw&t was long gone, I lost 8 years no claims and Insurance under valued my car by 3k

B&sterds

Someone hit my car and left a great big dent while it was left at the tube station car park. The car that hit me was red.

A few days later I saw a red car in the car park with damage to it and also the exact same paint marks on it as the colour of my car.

By some miracle, must have been a stray pigeon or something, their car seemed to have 2 broken wing mirrors and a effing great big dent in the drivers door later that day.

I always think the spaces are too tight in supermarket car parks bearing in mind the high volume of idiot drivers. So what I always do is use two spaces by parking about a foot into the adjoining space rendering it unusable and leaving plenty of space on the passenger side. It's not like they're gonna fine you for parking badly.

Edited by dune

Someone hit my car and left a great big dent while it was left at the tube station car park. The car that hit me was red.

A few days later I saw a red car in the car park with damage to it and also the exact same paint marks on it as the colour of my car.

By some miracle, must have been a stray pigeon or something, their car seemed to have 2 broken wing mirrors and a effing great big dent in the drivers door later that day.

I need to borrow that pigeon!

After having the same happen to me on more than one occasion I now never park neatly in a supermarket car park. I always take great care to park straddling two parking bays - this way no one parks too close and your car doesn't get dinged yet again.

I always think the spaces are too tight in supermarket car parks bearing in mind the high volume of idiot drivers. So what I always do is use two spaces by parking about a foot into the adjoining space rendering it unusable and leaving plenty of space on the passenger side. It's not like they're gonna fine you for parking badly.

Its good to finally understand why people are doing this! Mind you, by parking in this manner most people think you are the moronic driver who cant park, they probably assume you are female (i did until reading this!)...

Watch out for sarcastic ****ers like me. I have a fairly nice motor, but its been scratched once or twice when left unattended and so I am not very precious about the paint work. If I see somebody straddling over parking spaces i will quite happily bodge my car next to it, and climb out the boot or a window, just to prove a point, be funny, and **** over the shoddy parker! if i earn a scratch from it... im happy.

Also worth bearing in mind chaps, if you dont park within the parking space boundaries (ie half way over the next one), you are not insured.

if some body bumps you, and your parked incorrectly, it is your own fault... beware smart arses!

Look carefully at the terms and conditions. You may find that they can fine you.

i opened my van door and left the tiniest possible mark on a business womans flash sports cars wing mirror, ***** insisted on claiming on my insurance, i coulda fixed it in 30 secs if id had some tcut on me.

my mrs also left a tiny mark on someones bumper, they claimed about 250 quid to replace that.

The people who make these sort of claims are also so thick they dont realise it will also increase their premiums, probably costing them a lot more in the long run. some bint i bumped

Look carefully at the terms and conditions. You may find that they can fine you.

They might try it on, but if you ever get a ticket in a private car park (especially ones that give out tickets that look like real council ones) send them a nice letter telling them to **** off and I guarantee you will get it 'cancelled'

hope they claimed that through the insurance and didn't try the old trick of ringing you up and demanding an extortionate amount of money to have it replaced/repaired or they'd go to the police.

They might try it on, but if you ever get a ticket in a private car park (especially ones that give out tickets that look like real council ones) send them a nice letter telling them to **** off and I guarantee you will get it 'cancelled'

They have to find out who the driver was and you don't have to tell them.....

Sorry to hear there was no CCTV....

We always take our Land Rover to go to the supermarket. A) We're not too precious about it, B) people who are precious about their motors keep well away and C) it takes up 2 of those narrow arsed spaces found in most supermarket car parks.

You and your wife got what you deserved.

I was parked in Asda at Chandlers Ford, when a woman driver parked alongside me. She got out and without a care in the world proceeded to smash her door into my car. Subsequently I got out and said what the hell are you doing and the answer I got with a completely passive look was, "Oh I didnt notice you in the car."

I wasnt too happy about that and gave a rollicking. The only thing that saved her from further grief was I was driving an old nissan at the time with the bumper linings down the side which saved the door from getting damaged.

But sadly there are people who just dont give a sh*t.

I was parked in Asda at Chandlers Ford, when a woman driver parked alongside me. She got out and without a care in the world proceeded to smash her door into my car. Subsequently I got out and said what the hell are you doing and the answer I got with a completely passive look was, "Oh I didnt notice you in the car."

I wasnt too happy about that and gave a rollicking. The only thing that saved her from further grief was I was driving an old nissan at the time with the bumper linings down the side which saved the door from getting damaged.

But sadly there are people who just dont give a sh*t.

Was in the car with one of the guys from work once. We parked up in Tesco and ate some quick lunch. This bloke pulled up and got out the car again carefree, he proceeded to **** the car with his door, looked in to the driver and sort of shrugged his shoulders with a bit of a smirk, he then carried on into tesco.

My colleague then proceeded to wait for him to go into tescos and then ****ted his car door into his about 4 or 5 times and then drive off (he had those crappy door protector things).

Probably not what i would have done, but the fact the bloke knew he had done it and actually found it funny was probably a bit too far.

Edited by Smirking_Saint
Didn't make sense

Was in the car with one of the guys from work once. We parked up in Tesco and ate some quick lunch. This bloke pulled up yesterday and got out the car again carefree, he proceeded the **** the car with his door, looked in to the driver and sort of shrugged his shoulders with a bit of a smirk, he then carried on into tesco.

My colleague then proceeded to wait for him to go into tescos and then ****ted his car door into his about 4 or 5 times and then drive off (he had those crappy door protector things).

Probably not what i would have done, but the fact the bloke knew he had done it and actually found it funny was probably a bit too far.

Well, 'every little helps'.