Snow (again)

SuperMikey

I ferking hate snow. Let's hope this doesn't last too long.

Scotland and the North-East of England have had up to 6in of snow, we're forecasted to get some next week although nowhere near as much as they've got oop North. Seems like this could be a regular occurence in the future...

What?

Snow a regular occurrence in the winter? Who'd have thought it?

I doubt we'll get much down here if any. Last year's snowfall was a once in 20 years episode.

Well, how many 'white christmases' have we had in the last 10 years or so? Not that many. It won't be on the same scale as last year, that was just mental. The whole country stops working for a bit of snow...

We'll get a few showers over the weekend but i doubt it will amount to much.

The forecasters haven't said too much yet, but the middle and end of next week looks horrendous for everyone - including us. Lots of significant snow everywhere and it gets even colder.

The Nordic country's must laugh their t1ts off, at the mass panic every time we get a little snow. We are a joke!

It's because we rarely get it in large quantities and when we do we are totally unprepared for it.

On the other side of the coin how much condemnation would a council get for spending millions of snow removing equipment only for no snow to lay for the next decade

It's because we rarely get it in large quantities and when we do we are totally unprepared for it.

On the other side of the coin how much condemnation would a council get for spending millions of snow removing equipment only for no snow to lay for the next decade

What other equipment to other counties use to deal with snow then other than a snow plough and a bit of salt?

What other equipment to other counties use to deal with snow then other than a snow plough and a bit of salt?

I think it's more to do with the quantity of snow ploughs and salt that they have. Our stocks were running out in January and the snow was only here about 10 days. In Finland for example they have snow 4-5 months of the year. It takes 2 years to get a full driving licence there and you have to be able to powerslide just to get the most basic licence.

There's no point in us spending millions on more snowploughs and importing millions of tonnes of more salt, forcing tyre companies to buy and sell spiked/studded tyres in this country and changing the driving test to Finnish like standards, only to have a small dusting of snow once every few years for the next two decades.

During the snow in January I had to go out in my wife's car (1 litre Nissan Micra) for the majority of the days the roads were covered in snow. After the first day and the majority of hills had been gritted I managed absolutely fine by driving carefully, wrapping up warm and having a load of cardboard in the boot to put under the tyres if I got stuck. That's if helpful passers-by didn't see me first.

Edited by JackFrost

forcing tyre companies to buy and sell spiked/studded tyres in this country and changing the driving test to Finnish like standards, only to have a small dusting of snow once every few years for the next two decades.

There is no need for spiked/studded tyres, when I was living in the Geneva area you just needed snow tyes which have a different tread to provide more grip. The tyres were mandatory between november and March, and it didn't snow that much there either.

It is not a joke that we are seemingly unprepared for snow. Ignore what the media says and look at reality. In most of the country how many days a year are disrupted by snow (ie what we have to deal with it can't cope)? Very, very few down this part of the world. Do you really want Hampshire Council to buy a fleet of 100 snow ploughs at, what, £100k each? OK that might be a bit high as I have no idea how much one costs!

So that would be £10 million on ploughs. Let's write that off at £1m per year over a decade. How many days would they be used? Lets say 2 days a year or 20 days a decade etc etc etc. So it's not really economically viable to be fully tooled up - better to suffer those occasional days of snow.

What's wrong with taking some time off work when it snows and just enjoying life? All this carry on about "oh, a bit of snow and the country comnes to a standstill" - well SO WHAT? I think it's good that the country comes to a standstill. I think it nice that kids get to play in the snow and not go to school and that busy parents actually spend some time with the family because they have to take the day off work to look after kids or they themselves can't get to work.

We should celebrtae the fact that we are "ill prepared" for the snow by saying "No! We are prepared! We just realise that any excuse to spend quality time with our loved ones is worth more than toiling away to add money into some fatcats back pocket".

Bring on the snow and bring on the chaos. Welcome it and embrace it. It is a rare opportunity for us to value life and take stock of what is important.

Same as Canada, Norway etc, you have the existing vehicles modified, so as they can all be fitted with ploughs when needed, not millions of pounds. This would solve a lot of problems. Most of the 'ploughs' overseas, are like this.

Basically we are underprepared for snow because we get nowhere near enough snow for it to be a problem. We don't get enough so we are not accustomed to it.

Apart from the odd day when it first comes down before the main roads are gritted you can manage ok so long as your fully prepared

Same as Canada, Norway etc, you have the existing vehicles modified, so as they can all be fitted with ploughs when needed, not millions of pounds. This would solve a lot of problems. Most of the 'ploughs' overseas, are like this.

Indeed, gives the farmers a very nice little earner/retainer

SuperMikey, (possibly the most egotistical user name on here but hey ho) why aren't you in London smashing up police vans and throwing Fire extinguishers off of roof tops?

Some might say that's better than being the most egotistical user. ;)

Surprised PB hasn't picked you up on your grammar yet. :D

What's wrong with taking some time off work when it snows and just enjoying life? All this carry on about "oh, a bit of snow and the country comnes to a standstill" - well SO WHAT? I think it's good that the country comes to a standstill. I think it nice that kids get to play in the snow and not go to school and that busy parents actually spend some time with the family because they have to take the day off work to look after kids or they themselves can't get to work.

We should celebrtae the fact that we are "ill prepared" for the snow by saying "No! We are prepared! We just realise that any excuse to spend quality time with our loved ones is worth more than toiling away to add money into some fatcats back pocket".

Bring on the snow and bring on the chaos. Welcome it and embrace it. It is a rare opportunity for us to value life and take stock of what is important.

What about the businesses that are struggling to survive?

Who pays my wage if I can't get in, I assume this is yet another 'Deppo' windup reply!

This.

SuperMikey, (possibly the most egotistical user name on here but hey ho) why aren't you in London smashing up police vans and throwing Fire extinguishers off of roof tops?

Because it only affects people who are in the first year of college and below. Ages 16/17 and under

Who pays my wage if I can't get in, I assume this is yet another 'Deppo' windup reply!

No, it's not a wind up. Why should anyone pay your wage? I take it you're self employed? Well, you were aware of what self employed meant when you got into the whole situation. There are benefits of being self employed and there are downsides - or do you just want the benefits?

No, it's not a wind up. Why should anyone pay your wage? I take it you're self employed? Well, you were aware of what self employed meant when you got into the whole situation. There are benefits of being self employed and there are downsides - or do you just want the benefits?

I'm a PAYE contractor. I dont get paid if I can't get to work...