Join The Daily Express Crusade

dune

I dread to think what would have happened if we had fully embraced the Euro. It is about time we left this rediculous political 'union.' A trade agreement (as it was to begin with...) fine, but we need to control our own affairs.

Good man, sign up at the link above.

UKIP Leader Nigel Farage has thrown the Party's full support behind the Daily Express 'Get Out of Europe' crusade.

"I wholeheartedly support the Daily Express campaign," Mr Farage said.

"It is a brave campaign from a brilliantly patriotic newspaper and not the first time that the Express has stuck its neck out on an issue that is best for our nation.

"Back in the 1930s, nearly all the politicians and press thought that Adolf Hitler's Germany posed no threat. Only the Daily Express supported Churchill and a handful of backbench MPs in demanding rearmament.

"The Express got it right then and they've got it right now.

"I urge all UKIP supporters to buy the Daily Express and support this vitally important campaign."

http://www.ukip.org/content/latest-news/2018-daily-express-is-spot-on-again

Why join the Express?

(oh and why have they mistakenly chosen to call this a 'crusade'? The word means 'to mark with a cross' )

noun

• any of the military expeditions which Christians undertook from the 11th to the end of the 13th cent. to recover the Holy Land from the Muslims
  • a vigorous, concerted action for some cause or idea, or against some abuse

noun

• any of the military expeditions which Christians undertook from the 11th to the end of the 13th cent. to recover the Holy Land from the Muslims
  • a vigorous, concerted action for some cause or idea, or against some abuse

So this vigorous, concerted action, doesn't have it's origins in the latin 'crux' then? Might not another word have been more, er, appropriate?

Do they have lots of pictures in them?

Actually, they do...

I read them because the quality of the journalism is much better than in other rags, and it tends to steer away from the overt sensationalism that other newspapers tend to enjoy.

This Express campaign is just a sensationalist reaction to the situation in Europe.

UKIP Leader Nigel Farage has thrown the Party's full support behind the Daily Express 'Get Out of Europe' crusade.

"I wholeheartedly support the Daily Express campaign," Mr Farage said.

"It is a brave campaign from a brilliantly patriotic newspaper and not the first time that the Express has stuck its neck out on an issue that is best for our nation.

"Back in the 1930s, nearly all the politicians and press thought that Adolf Hitler's Germany posed no threat. Only the Daily Express supported Churchill and a handful of backbench MPs in demanding rearmament.

"The Express got it right then and they've got it right now.

"I urge all UKIP supporters to buy the Daily Express and support this vitally important campaign."

http://www.ukip.org/content/latest-news/2018-daily-express-is-spot-on-again

Oh dear: mentioning Hitler and the EU in the same article...

Does Farage or the Express offer alternatives? Or do they advise the public on what course of action they would pursue instead? I ask as I always hear UKIP and the Express/Mail bang on about Europe yet apart from "pulling out" and "going it alone" they seem to offer no real solution to this 'problem'...

Does Farage or the Express offer alternatives? Or do they advise the public on what course of action they would pursue instead? I ask as I always hear UKIP and the Express/Mail bang on about Europe yet apart from "pulling out" and "going it alone" they seem to offer no real solution to this 'problem'...

I think you have the bite you were after Dune.... ;-)

Actually, they do...

I read them because the quality of the journalism is much better than in other rags, and it tends to steer away from the overt sensationalism that other newspapers tend to enjoy.

This Express campaign is just a sensationalist reaction to the situation in Europe.

The Week is the best publication for reading news.

The whole EU union is a sham and a huge gravy train...

Why on earth we have to be in a position where some faceless nobody in brussels can pass laws in this country

Sure, have close ties with Europe and trade agreements etc but why o. Earth be any more than that?

OMFG. I agree with delldays. I feel slightly ill...

The problem is the EU. Having close ties with Europe but pulling out from anything more than that solves the problem.

The EU. Apart from being the market for 60% of our exports, what did they ever give us?

Not sure anyone is arguing we stop trade with Europe. Strong trade ties should be encouraged. ANything to do with overturning British laws and EU initiatives should be discouraged in the strongest possible terms.

Who cares. I like it.

As 'cool' as a crusading knight might seem, you must remember that the majority of 'crusaders' were from the continent, I'm not really sure they represent the anti-Europe vibe the campaign wants to promote. I think a slave trader might be more appropriate, you know, that would encapsulate the moment in history when Britain began to muscle itself to the fore of Europe, while still retaining all of the divisive undertones and racism that the crusader logo does to keep the xenophobes who read the Express onboard.

Edited by Joensuu

As 'cool' as a crusading knight might seem, you must remember that the majority of 'crusaders' were from the continent, I'm not really sure they represent the anti-Europe vibe the campaign wants to promote. I think a slave trader might be more appropriate, you know, that would encapsulate the moment in history when Britain began to muscle itself to the fore of Europe, while still retaining all of the divisive undertones and racism that the crusader logo does to keep the xenophobes who read the Express onboard.

You have a very bigoted view of Express readers.

I think you have the bite you were after Dune.... ;-)

I'm serious, I want an alternative or at least a suggestion as to what they might do. It amazes me that people can make these claims without anything to back them up with. The fact that I still haven't seen any decent justifications (hypo's reply goes some way to this) speaks volumes.

You have a very bigoted view of Express readers.

I do try to see the good in everything. A line has to be drawn somewhere. Perhaps you're right, I might be 'bigoted' in my finding this rag (and anyone who is in agreement with it) rather offensive. I wouldn't want to tar all of the Daily Express readers with the same brush, just those who read it, understand it, and then still find themselves in agreement with it.

This I feel is a fair summary:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Daily_Express

Let's get real here - any 'crusade' that is adopted by Farage, Bloom & their ilk is intellectually doomed from the start.

Ultimately the EU is a trading partnership that the UK has managed to cherry-pick for it's better bits whist avoiding the currency bear trap.

Getting out of it would send many businesses to the wall & contribute massively to the rising unemployment figures...you'll not see credible business leaders joining the campaign.

My answer is the UKIP answer. If you wish to know it don't be such a long haired layabout and look on the site I linked.

I did. Under the first section of their manifesto, they seem to want to tax the rich less, and tax the poor a lot more. They talk about axing a 'quango mountain' (one assumes, to a greater extent than it is currently being axed), but then in the same breath talk about exploying an extra 20,000 people in the UKBA (such is their fear of foreign-types, it must even overcome their hatred of the public sector!). Their solution to crime is to double prison places (sorry, let me re-read that to you, yes it does indeed still say 'double'!). In terms of the MoD, they want to increase spending by 40%, and massively ramp up the number in the services. For the NHS, allow people to get 'opt out' vouchers.

So, let's get this right, UKIP, want to remove a large number of public services (aka 'quango mountain'), and instead spend loads of extra money on the miliatry, borders, and NHS opt outs. All funded of course by a massive tax hike for the less well off. Hey, but at least when the poorest take to the streets, there will be an increased armed services waiting to crush the rioters. This isn't a solution, it's a nightmare for anyone not in the elite few - a direct comparision might be Stalin's Russia, or Adolf's Third Reich.

So, again, one has to assume, that the answer you provided, is no.

Let's get real here - any 'crusade' that is adopted by Farage, Bloom & their ilk is intellectually doomed from the start.

Ultimately the EU is a trading partnership that the UK has managed to cherry-pick for it's better bits whist avoiding the currency bear trap.

Getting out of it would send many businesses to the wall & contribute massively to the rising unemployment figures...you'll not see credible business leaders joining the campaign.

Sir James Goldsmith, Lord Lowe of Withington and Lord Pearson of Rannoch are three off the top of my head.

I did. Under the first section of their manifesto, they seem to want to tax the rich less, and tax the poor a lot more. They talk about axing a 'quango mountain' (one assumes, to a greater extent than it is currently being axed), but then in the same breath talk about exploying an extra 20,000 people in the UKBA (such is their fear of foreign-types, it must even overcome their hatred of the public sector!). Their solution to crime is to double prison places (sorry, let me re-read that to you, yes it does indeed still say 'double'!). In terms of the MoD, they want to increase spending by 40%, and massively ramp up the number in the services. For the NHS, allow people to get 'opt out' vouchers.

So, let's get this right, UKIP, want to remove a large number of public services (aka 'quango mountain'), and instead spend loads of extra money on the miliatry, borders, and NHS opt outs. All funded of course by a massive tax hike for the less well off. Hey, but at least when the poorest take to the streets, there will be an increased armed services waiting to crush the rioters. This isn't a solution, it's a nightmare for anyone not in the elite few - a direct comparision might be Stalin's Russia, or Adolf's Third Reich.

So, again, one has to assume, that the answer you provided, is no.

Stop being so lazy and read what it says on the site.

Although i consider myself to be relatively down the middle when i comes to such things, our current status in Europe seems to hold far less benefits for the average joe on the street (ie: me)

Of course there are 2 sides to every situation, and i'm sure there are many +ve's to being involved in the EU, but the amazing spending required to keep it going must be rectified. Also, Europe is a massive continent, and the current member states of the EU are massively diverse in culture, so it does not seem reasonable to try and have single rules applying to such diversity.

As you can probably tell, my understanding is very limited, but i think i represent most britons, who maybe have an inkling or a small interest, but in reality know very little about the whole situation. While trying to do some research, I was directed to the following video, which i found quite an eye opener when it comes to understanding the level of wastage. Of course the purpose of this vid is to highlight the negatives, but it is still interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DxPnjOBlRI