Ronaldo or Messi

Smirking_Saint

Messi everytime

Their about as effective as each other going forward when both on top of their games, but Messi does it more consistently.

Also when Messi loses the ball he chases back and acts as an extra bod in aid of his defence, whereas Ronaldo falls over and waves his hands around in the air demanding a freekick

Messi everytime

Their about as effective as each other going forward when both on top of their games, but Messi does it more consistently.

Also when Messi loses the ball he chases back and acts as an extra bod in aid of his defence, whereas Ronaldo falls over and waves his hands around in the air demanding a freekick

Ronaldo's quicker and has an element of physical strength about him though, Messi would never emulate the success that Ronaldo had if he played in the Premier League, because he's physically not strong enough.

He's more technically gifted than Ronaldo, but Ronaldo's pace and strength get him into positions that Messi might not be able to.

Agreed, the boy is a complete tool, however he is probably the best player i have ever seen in my time.

hmm, now that is a tough one. Maradona, Platini, Van Basten, Zidane, the other Ronaldo, plus a few i've probably forgotten could also claim that one.

hmm, now that is a tough one. Maradona, Platini, Van Basten, Zidane, the other Ronaldo, plus a few i've probably forgotten could also claim that one.

Hmm, yeah, i saw Ronaldo and Zidane play but not the rest.

Zidane was sublime, but the level Ronaldo is at now is phenominal. Plus, i saw him play more than Zizou

Hmm, yeah, i saw Ronaldo and Zidane play but not the rest.

Zidane was sublime, but the level Ronaldo is at now is phenominal. Plus, i saw him play more than Zizou

I was only a kid but Maradona carried a very average Argentina team to the 1986 & 1990 world cup finals, he was amazing in both tournements. Van Basten was an incredible striker, sadly career cut short by injuries. You must have seen this goal in the 88 Euro Finals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j1Z-0ZMM5Q

Ronaldo's quicker and has an element of physical strength about him though, Messi would never emulate the success that Ronaldo had if he played in the Premier League, because he's physically not strong enough.

He's more technically gifted than Ronaldo, but Ronaldo's pace and strength get him into positions that Messi might not be able to.

Well considering how he's performed against English teams in the champions league recently i disagree.

Considering how he scored all 4 in Barcelona's 4-1 win over Arsenal, and could have got a hat trick in the first 20 mins in the first leg if Almunia hadn't been on fire. not to mention scoring the clincher against Man U in the final the year before, with his head interestingly enough.

Year before that against Man U in the SF he was skinning Scholes and Evra alive all night, and was almost single handedly dragging a very poor Barce through the second leg.

Messi and Ronaldo are as effective as each other going forward, Messi sheer brilliance and speed on the ball means the only time physical muscle comes into it is when someone is fouling him and has already been beaten. It's what his game is all about, off the ball he's just too good at drifting into space even when being man marked, receiving the ball and driving at defenders/defensive midfielders. He gets around physicality by always being two yards away from a physical opponent. The Spanish teams try and kick him but they rarely succeed. Ronaldo probably has similar ability in this department but his problem is himself. He dives too much and goes down too easily far too often before doing something brilliant. Messi has a far superior work rate.

Meanwhile Barcelona have just gone 2-0 up in the El Classico

Edited by JackFrost

Serious answer:

Two years ago I thought Ronaldo definitely had the better all-round game.

Now, I think Messi's levels of consistency are superb and he is certainly looking the better player...

BUT

With regards to both, they have a long way to go on the international stage before they can be compared alongside the other Ronaldo, Zidane or Maradonna.

• 3 months later...

Ronaldo has a little more to his game - mainly free kicks, strength and power.

I used to think he was better in the air as well, but Messi for a short lad has scored one of the best headers I've ever seen - vs United in the CL final.

Both are superb players but for me to be remembered at the very best level with the likes of Pele, Maradonna, Ronaldo etc they need to do it at a world cup.