Human behaviour explained by Evolution....

anothersaintinsouthsea

from today's Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/inconvenient-truths-about-our-evolution-2146994.html

"A controversial scientist claims he can shed light on human behaviour. But not everyone will like his theories"

Some of them seem politically incorrect by today's standards - they include:

> Having sons reduces the likelihood of divorce

> The myth of the male mid-life crisis

> It's natural for male politicians to risk everything for an affair

> Men sexually harass women because they are not sexist

Not sure I agree with all of them but I definitely agree with one key assertion "Liberals are more intelligent than conservatives"....

I found this one interesting - one for all the thickos on here:

"2. Liberals are more intelligent than conservatives

A study by Dr Kanazawa, published in Social Science Quarterly in March, based on the same data showed that young adults who identified themselves as "very liberal" had an average IQ of 106 while those who identified themselves as "very conservative" had an average IQ of 95.

Humans are evolutionarily designed to be conservative, caring mostly about their family and friends. Being liberal and caring about an indefinite number of genetically unrelated strangers is evolutionarily novel. So more intelligent children may be more likely to grow up to be liberals. "

I found this one interesting - one for all the thickos on here:

"2. Liberals are more intelligent than conservatives

A study by Dr Kanazawa, published in Social Science Quarterly in March, based on the same data showed that young adults who identified themselves as "very liberal" had an average IQ of 106 while those who identified themselves as "very conservative" had an average IQ of 95.

Humans are evolutionarily designed to be conservative, caring mostly about their family and friends. Being liberal and caring about an indefinite number of genetically unrelated strangers is evolutionarily novel. So more intelligent children may be more likely to grow up to be liberals. "

Self confessed liberals have always had a superiority complex, so there is nothing new there. The trouble with the above is that a self proclamation that the individual cares about the an "infinite number of genetically unrelated strangers" does not necessarily mean they do. Actions speak louder than words and from what i have seen, heard and experienced, there are a lot who experience their compassion vicariously and couldn't actually give a **** about anyone else other than themselves. Giving £10 to Shelter and saying it's dreadful what effect the benefit cuts are having on the poor, whilst sat around the dinner table downing more red wine, with like minded liberals, does not qualify.

Churchill on Liberals.

"They are the most disagreeable of people...Their insincerity? Can you not feel a sense of disgust at the arrogant presumption of superiority of these people? Superiority of intellect! Then, when it comes to practice, down they fall with a wallop not only to the level of ordinary human beings but to a level which is even far below the average."

"These very high intellectual persons who wake up every morning...see what they can find to demolish, to undermine, or cast away."

"Let them quit these gospels of envy, hate, and malice. Let them abandon the utter fallacy, the grotesque, erroneous, fatal blunder of believing that by limiting the enterprise of man, by riveting the shackles of a false equality...they will increase the well-being of the world."

Churchill on Liberals.

"They are the most disagreeable of people...Their insincerity? Can you not feel a sense of disgust at the arrogant presumption of superiority of these people? Superiority of intellect! Then, when it comes to practice, down they fall with a wallop not only to the level of ordinary human beings but to a level which is even far below the average."

"These very high intellectual persons who wake up every morning...see what they can find to demolish, to undermine, or cast away."

"Let them quit these gospels of envy, hate, and malice. Let them abandon the utter fallacy, the grotesque, erroneous, fatal blunder of believing that by limiting the enterprise of man, by riveting the shackles of a false equality...they will increase the well-being of the world."

Jesus Dune. I'm normally pretty relaxed about you expressing your views - but give it a rest with Churchill. You aren't him, you never met him and great man though he was, he's been dead for 50 years and you have no idea what his viwews on any political issue of today would be. Besides its too much. Tedious.

Jesus Dune. I'm normally pretty relaxed about you expressing your views - but give it a rest with Churchill. You aren't him, you never met him and great man though he was, he's been dead for 50 years and you have no idea what his viwews on any political issue of today would be. Besides its too much. Tedious.

If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.

Winston Churchill

If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.

Winston Churchill

In that case.

Your a bit of a bellend. Your a bit of a bellend. you really are a bit of a bellend

Smirking_saint 30/11/10

Churchill on Liberals.

This is the same Winston Churchill who was a LIBERAL MP from 1906 to 1922 ?

Winston Churchill

He did spend 18 years as a Liberal MP (Churchill, not dune)

Does the guy know what "liberal" means?

Churchill on Liberals.

Awesome final paragraph but, again, I would question if he is attacking "liberalism" as a manifestation of what being "liberal" minded actually is. Presumably "Liberals" was a defined group or party and that is who his quote is aimed at.

Self confessed liberals have always had a superiority complex, so there is nothing new there. The trouble with the above is that a self proclamation that the individual cares about the an "infinite number of genetically unrelated strangers" does not necessarily mean they do. Actions speak louder than words and from what i have seen, heard and experienced, there are a lot who experience their compassion vicariously and couldn't actually give a **** about anyone else other than themselves. Giving £10 to Shelter and saying it's dreadful what effect the benefit cuts are having on the poor, whilst sat around the dinner table downing more red wine, with like minded liberals, does not qualify.

You COMPLETELY miss the point. Liberal tend to have higher IQs than reactionaries. End - as is said around these parts - of.

Simple, and intelligible surely to anyone, unless....

You COMPLETELY miss the point. Liberal tend to have higher IQs than reactionaries. End - as is said around these parts - of.

What about the personality of the average tree hugger?

Oh and I don't accept the intelligence thing because from what 've read on here left wingers are pretty thick for the simple reason they don't agree with me and i'm right.

Oh and I don't accept the intelligence thing because from what 've read on here left wingers are pretty thick for the simple reason they don't agree with me and i'm right.

You really need to see the Dr about your chronic constipation.

You're still full of it.

Clearly he hasn't met me because i was a very intelligent child but i didn't turn into an unwashed liberal.

No not a liberal at all Stan.

Depends if your intelligent enough to realise crap "science" when you see it. Or perhaps you just like to generalise and stereotype if it suits? The supposition is that self confessed liberals have higher IQ based on their ability to "care" about others - **** poor generalisation in itself. I was just giving it a post modern slant.

Of course you don't accept it. How could you?

IQ has nothing to do with personality. It DOES have something to do with being able to follow the thread of an argument.

Depends if your intelligent enough to realise crap "science" when you see it. Or perhaps you just like to generalise and stereotype if it suits? The supposition is that self confessed liberals have higher IQ based on their ability to "care" about others - **** poor generalisation in itself. I was just giving it a post modern slant.

Since you 'see it' so clearly, would you care to give us your detailed critique then, rather than resorting to the old 'conservative' (in the context of this thread) tactic of labelling anything you don't understand as 'crap'?