Homework

iansums

My daughter started Secondary school back in September and she's doing very well. However, what has amazed me is the amount of homework she gets. This week she has had 16 separate pieces of work to do. Even these past couple of days with the school closed the teachers have posted homework for the kids on the school website.

Today she has even been given homework for Drama and PE FFS, I kid you not. Ok, the PE homework is to make a poster detailing 10 rules of football so I'll enjoy helping her out with it, but all of this distracts from the important core subjects.

Any teachers out there willing to explain themselves?

My daughter started Secondary school back in September and she's doing very well. However, what has amazed me is the amount of homework she gets. This week she has had 16 separate pieces of work to do. Even these past couple of days with the school closed the teachers have posted homework for the kids on the school website.

Today she has even been given homework for Drama and PE FFS, I kid you not. Ok, the PE homework is to make a poster detailing 10 rules of football so I'll enjoy helping her out with it, but all of this distracts from the important core subjects.

Why blame the teachers? They are trying not only to educate your child in their subject but also in life. Homework teaches children important lessons in self motivation, organisation, time management and an ability to think for themselves when there are no teachers or brighter fellow students to ask or copy. You should thank them not question them.

Why blame the teachers? They are trying not only to educate your child in their subject but also in life. Homework teaches children important lessons in self motivation, organisation, time management and an ability to think for themselves when there are no teachers or brighter fellow students to ask or copy. You should thank them not question them.

I'm not questioning homework itself, only the amount of it which to me seems too high for an eleven year old and far more than I got at her age IIRC. I do agree with what you say though because although my daughter is very bright she does have issues with each of those points.

I disagree. It's because the teens of today spend their entire lives couped up either studying or playing the playstation that when they become adults they end up like Smirking Saint. Gobby youths with no perspective of the real world. Delldays is another example of the effects of being confined for long periods..

Edited by dune

I can't comment on your daughter's schools policy obviously as they differ from establishment to establishment but I'll explain ours and hopefully it might answer your question:

Firstly, as I imagine many people hold this myth to be correct: it's not there to make our lives easier - in fact it makes it harder as we have to bloody find time to mark it.

My school's policy is to set a 'reasonable' homework of 30 mins per subject (with a maximum of an hour). Now, our homework is set on specific days and at KS3 (years 7-9) you only set it once a week, or twice if you're a core subject (English, Maths and Science). Therefore on one specfic day a child should have no more than 90 mins of homework, definatly no more than two hours. At KS4 (years 10-11) it changes to two a week and three a week. Our homework policy is as such so that the pupils receive an extra years secondary education on top of the five they will do.

Is this the normal amount of homework your child's school sets for a year 7 pupil or has just been this week that is have been so intensive? I would state that 16 peices is far too much for an eleven year old no matter how talented. I would assume that this week the teachers have set work because they haven't been in to have their lessons?

In my honest opinion, I cannot see homework lasting in its current form much longer: Pupils, especially by the time they're 13/14 simply can't be arsed and will either hand you in something that took 10 mins to complete or just wont bother (and no amount of detentions are going to stop that). Furthermore, we are finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with the 'marking timetables' we are given by the schools: for example my school expect books to be marked every fortnight (that's fine and 'do-able) but then when you add 220 peices of homework (and some top set Yr.11s will happily write three A4 sides worth) on top of this and consider that we then have to give feedback on each peice, plan our lessons for the week, create the resources that we need to teach them, attend meetings etc etc etc the current system will simply not stand up for much longer. I imagine by 2020, homework will either be redundant for KS3 or it will all be done via electronically.

I hope this answers your question a bit :)

Edited by Thorpe-le-Saint

The whole concept of eduction is now far to complicated. I have two in primary school and that is difficult enough.

It seems that any change in DofE personnel in government will introduce change in policy, not necessarily for the good but just so they can say what they did!

Have a look at the national strategies to see not only what the teachers have to cover but how.

An example of a needless change is in the way KS1&2 maths are taught - the content is the same but the policy makers have broaden the scope of certain concepts (eg. counting) to include other things like shapes. This would be OK if backed up by some research to say it's advantageous to teach this way but talking to the head teacher of the school my girls go to, it's a change for no reason. Unfortunately, as schools are audited against the national ciriculum and strategy they have to comply.

I disagree. It's because the teens of today spend their entire lives couped up either studying or playing the playstation that when they become adults they end up like Smirking Saint. Gobby youths with no perspective of the real world. Delldays is another example of the effects of being confined for long periods..

I dont think it's studying that does that. Its playstation and TV. Studying at any age is good for broadening the mind. As kids it gives them self motivation to get off their arse and do something.

The whole concept of eduction is now far to complicated. I have two in primary school and that is difficult enough.

It seems that any change in DofE personnel in government will introduce change in policy, not necessarily for the good but just so they can say what they did!

Have a look at the national strategies to see not only what the teachers have to cover but how.

An example of a needless change is in the way KS1&2 maths are taught - the content is the same but the policy makers have broaden the scope of certain concepts (eg. counting) to include other things like shapes. This would be OK if backed up by some research to say it's advantageous to teach this way but talking to the head teacher of the school my girls go to, it's a change for no reason. Unfortunately, as schools are audited against the national ciriculum and strategy they have to comply.

Spot on. We shouldn't need 'free schools' or academies to be be able to rid education of this needless interference by government. Give us broad parameters and let us do what it is we do best.

Maybe it was given to her over a longer period of time, she has just left it all to the last minute.

I know I did...!!!!

Ditto.

A few spliffs the night before coursework had to be handed in and i'd come up with a masterpiece of waffle. The smart kids of today must have it pretty easy what with internet and all that. I'd just cut and paste all my course and re-arrange it a bit. Job done.

Ditto.

A few spliffs the night before coursework had to be handed in and i'd come up with a masterpiece of waffle. The smart kids of today must have it pretty easy what with internet and all that. I'd just cut and paste all my course and re-arrange it a bit. Job done.

what would churchill have said!?! probably something about communists

Ditto.

Then you would get the entire school black listed and subject to inspection: You would get a zero and be unable to enter into ANY examination. HTH. Schools and exam boards have resources to detect plagarism.

You really do know **** all about anything, Dune. You dont half come out with some ****.

Then you would get the entire school black listed and subject to inspection: You would get a zero and be unable to enter into ANY examination. HTH. Schools and exam boards have resources to detect plagarism.

Yeah yeah, ok. Don't take this the wrong way but teachers are teachers because they're pretty thick and can't get a proper job and you could easily cut and paste coursework and change it around to such an extent as for it to be impossible for plagiarism to be proved.

Yeah yeah, ok. Don't take this the wrong way but teachers are teachers because they're pretty thick and can't get a proper job and you could easily cut and paste coursework and change it around to such an extent as for it to be impossible for plagiarism to be proved.

Sorry dune, not in a biting mood today. I know with your HND you feel superior to me and my Masters, but that is O.K, I know I'm right but I'll let you win.

Homework taught me an important life skill - how to avoid work. I plagiarised for all I was worth and this was before the interweb. The trick I found was nicking the swotty kids homework on the morning it was to be handed in, copying it during tutor period and then handing both in just before the submission time. Later I learnt just to be friends with the clever kids - they'll happily give you their work for a bit of popularity.

Without homework I doubt I'd have learned the value of getting someone else to do your work for you.

I wonder how different it is now to when i was at secondary school. We had a teacher who would make you do 10 reps on the push up wheel if you didn't do your homework. Could teachers get away with that now? Also, if you forgot your PE kit, you were made to do the sport in your kacks and (if you were lucky) vest, which included playing rugby too. I bet that's not allowed now.

I wonder how different it is now to when i was at secondary school. We had a teacher who would make you do 10 reps on the push up wheel if you didn't do your homework. Could teachers get away with that now? Also, if you forgot your PE kit, you were made to do the sport in your kacks and (if you were lucky) vest, which included playing rugby too. I bet that's not allowed now.

The teacher would probably be sacked, banned from teaching and put on the sex offenders register for life.

My girlfiend, whom I live with, is a teacher, history at gcse, in her 3rd year since qualifying, and spends every evening marking homework and classwork and books and lesson planning, from when school finishes in her classroom, then comes home a few hours later, and ends marking at home every night of the week till at least 9pm, often 10pm if she is not asleep by then. Usually rolls over into weekends too for another 4 or 5 hours minimum.

Can't say much from the kids point of views however. At her last school they didn't set homework at all (Pauls Grove in Portsmouth) and her life/work balance was much better, so a lot of it is homework marking, so presumably the kids have plenty to keep themselves busy once home.

My girlfiend, whom I live with, is a teacher, history at gcse, in her 3rd year since qualifying, and spends every evening marking homework and classwork and books and lesson planning, from when school finishes in her classroom, then comes home a few hours later, and ends marking at home every night of the week till at least 9pm, often 10pm if she is not asleep by then. Usually rolls over into weekends too for another 4 or 5 hours minimum.

Can't say much from the kids point of views however. At her last school they didn't set homework at all (Pauls Grove in Portsmouth) and her life/work balance was much better, so a lot of it is homework marking, so presumably the kids have plenty to keep themselves busy once home.

It sounds like she is getting nailed by one of the other teachers to be honest.

They can do the first bit in PE these days no problem, i'd rather "punish" those that don't do PE homework with some form of physical activity rather then pointless detentions and line writing.

As for the second bit, no they can't do PE half naked, and quite rightly so. I'm sure nobody would appreciate their children having to do that this day and age.

don't show her your homework then, she might give you detention.

As Churchill once said, "Homework is what this country was built on. We brought homework to the Empire and made the brown people in the colonies do half an hour every night without fail. That is what made this country great. That and tiffin."

Sorry dune, not in a biting mood today. I know with your HND you feel superior to me and my Masters, but that is O.K, I know I'm right but I'll let you win.

Us teachers/tutors/lecturers must be really thick to do a job where we get sh*t loads of dosh after a few years service and 13 weeks holiday per annum.

Just think, if we'd only gotten a HND we too could have a non skilled job, work shifts and still live at home with mum. I feel my extensive post graduate qualifications have been wasted. :(

Us teachers/tutors/lecturers must be really thick to do a job where we get sh*t loads of dosh after a few years service and 13 weeks holiday per annum.

Just think, if we'd only gotten a HND we too could have a non skilled job, work shifts and still live at home with mum. I feel my extensive post graduate qualifications have been wasted. :(

You're really smart View From The Bedroom.

Edited by dune

What are you basing this comment on duneo?

They can do the first bit in PE these days no problem, i'd rather "punish" those that don't do PE homework with some form of physical activity rather then pointless detentions and line writing.

As for the second bit, no they can't do PE half naked, and quite rightly so. I'm sure nobody would appreciate their children having to do that this day and age.

The push up wheel was introduced by our History teacher, quality bloke as it happens. Ran an antiques business on the side, ex army i think. Doing PE in your vest and pants was a very good way of ensuring you never forgot your kit in future. I can only recall one nipper doing it and of course he got mercilessly rinsed for the rest of the term. Personally i'd make them wear a Pompey kit. That would be punishment enough

I got a similar amount of homework, TBF none of it was really that time consuming, the coursework was a different matter altogether though.

They are just trying to better educate the children, otherwise you could end up as some sort of rent a quote geriatric nazi with a alcohol problem, or one of the forum grammar police.

At boarding school, we were forced to do our homework between 7pm and 9pm each night, there was no getting out of it. I used to hate it, it was monitored too to make sure we weren't mucking around or sneaking off to avoid doing it. The biggest annoyance was that of we had a day with little homework to do, we had to sit there for anything up to 90 minutes with nothing to do but compose our thoughts.

That said, my best work at school was achieved through homework, so looking back, allotting time for it can only have been a good thing.

I don't have kids yet, but hope I'm not too far off, but I reckon I'll enjoy helping them out with homework. (I might think differently in ten or so years though!)

At boarding school, we were forced to do our homework between 7pm and 9pm each night, there was no getting out of it. I used to hate it, it was monitored too to make sure we weren't mucking around or sneaking off to avoid doing it. The biggest annoyance was that of we had a day with little homework to do, we had to sit there for anything up to 90 minutes with nothing to do but compose our thoughts.

That said, my best work at school was achieved through homework, so looking back, allotting time for it can only have been a good thing.

I don't have kids yet, but hope I'm not too far off, but I reckon I'll enjoy helping them out with homework. (I might think differently in ten or so years though!)

Remember prep very well - 6.30 to 8.00pm, Mon to Fri.

Also, if you forgot your PE kit, you were made to do the sport in your kacks and (if you were lucky) vest, which included playing rugby too. I bet that's not allowed now.

Same here, and if you forgot your towel you still had a shower and had to borrow a towel from someone else (after they'd used it) and it was invariably very soggy.