Where are the pro Burleyites? Bournemouth Saint?

tiger

This forum and the one before seems to be very antipathetic towards Burley's time in charge, now the dust has settled from last year, and yet even up until his departure, a few months ago, people like "Bournemouth Saint" and "Sad old Git" were vehement that he was God's gift to management.

Are they now prepared to admit that GB had, by and large, given up on his job as Saints manager once his spending spree had not got us back to the Prem and also accept he then saw the job as a stepping stone to pastures more lucrative?

If not I would welcome them defending Burley a little bit more because of late they have been very silent. Bournemouth Saint care to comment?

I was calling for him not to be sacked in many arguements/debates.

I said in many threads that I was not convinced we would get better if he went and probably worse.

That happened and we dropped into a relegation battle.

We were under performing -as we have done for years.

The West Ham friendly was the first saints team that seemed to over perform in years.

Why dreg up this crap? For pities sake.

GET BEHIND THE TEAM AND MOVE ON YOU SAD MAN. What happens now is all that matters.

Amen brother.

Why do people insist on trying to get one up on each other all the frigging time? It is tedious beyond belief you dribbling cretin, shut the fudge up.

I was not on the Forum last year but I was advocating Burley out from last September but as you say lots of fans thought I was completely wrong and George would lead us to promotion.

I doubt if Jan will lead us there this year but there is the possibility that he may in later seasons and we should give him our support and forget about both George and Nigel

Edited by John B

I was a Burley supporter when he was here and still think he did some good stuff and some not so good given the circumstances, but like Colin says I think everyone has moved on from that. Right now I wish Jan and the team luck this season and hope his young side can produce the goods to tie us over safely in mid-table. Anything else will be a bonus in my opinion..

Yes me too but Lowe and Wilde are obviously on board with the new direction the club is going and are giving their support.

Exactly, everyone in the club is pulling in one direction. So why can't we.

FFS, I'm sodding annoyed now. all this pathetic one upmanship behaviour.

This forum and the one before seems to be very antipathetic towards Burley's time in charge, now the dust has settled from last year, and yet even up until his departure, a few months ago, people like "Bournemouth Saint" and "Sad old Git" were vehement that he was God's gift to management.

Are they now prepared to admit that GB had, by and large, given up on his job as Saints manager once his spending spree had not got us back to the Prem and also accept he then saw the job as a stepping stone to pastures more lucrative?

If not I would welcome them defending Burley a little bit more because of late they have been very silent. Bournemouth Saint care to comment?

I never took part in any of the debates at that time, as I was living in Newcastle and saw very few matches (well, almost none really). I therefore didn't feel myself to be qualified to express an opinion either way. But I remember reading a lot of the threads. One thing I don't recall from them was seeing anybody (Bournemouth Saint, Sad Old Git, whoever) suggesting that Burley was god's gift to management. They defended him, yes, but they never put him on that sort of pedestal. Whatever - those mentioned are adults and can stand up for themselves.

As I said, I have no axe to grind in this matter, but it does seem to me that if you base your argument so strongly on a distortion of your opponents' views then it loses a great deal of its force.

And, as others have already asked, why the hell drag this up now?

I lost my three best players! Enough said.

Who were Nigels three best players

Wright John Lucketti?

This thread is not waste of time compared with other threads where I need a Crystal Ball

like where are we going to finish in May and What will the score be on Saturday

Edited by John B

Yes me too but Lowe and Wilde are obviously on board with the new direction the club is going and are giving their support.

People who have known me over the years know i haven't been Lowe's best supporter but i think he has done the right thing this time. The club was dying on it's ass with so much infighting and changes. We had players who couldn't give a monkies about this club. I remember being at the Weds game and looking at Burley thinking he doesn't give a crap either, i'm sure most people were the same who were there. That stuck with me and was one of the main reasons i knew we would fail with Burley. But if you look at how Jan is right now he is like a little kid on xmas morning. Very excited about what could be in the boxes etc.. To him he is pretty much unknown in terms of football management and wants to succeed, you can see it in the way he acts.

Some people will look on Burley's time here as a success and some will look at it as a waste of time. I look at it and think it sums up what happened the year we were relegated and beyond, we paid people who were over-rated too much money and they couldn't be bothered to play for the club. Pearson was only 0.09 points per game off of Burleys record. He didn't spend 12m. He didn't sign any players. He had an injury problem that had the first team defence crocked. He lost possibly our best striker and most creative midfielder. And he had to perform in critical games or we would of been down.

Add to all that he didn't even have a clue what was happening board room wise or even if he would have a job! But he didn't whine or complain he just got on with it. When we won he would never accept praise and when we lost he would take the blame. On the other hand Burley was the total opposite, someone who would hide behind his faults and send someone else out to talk to the press. I remember when he sent Hammill out to talk to the TV station when he had only played 2mins in a loss.

Now Jan is here i see a lot of the same attributes he has with Pearson. But the main one which the club needs the most is fresh desire to do well. Not wanting to be second best and help the players develop. To be a unit and a team, to work together. That is what i could never see under Burley.

So i really hope Jan and Wotte get things right and get this club moving in the right direction once more. I'm tired of seeing us be ripped apart little by little each season board wise and manager wise. The club deserves better and i think with our new direction we are more likely to succeed and return to the PL then we ever were by spending 12m under Burley.

I know it's been done to death, but there's no doubt Burley well and truly ****ed us over. He was given £7 million, which is huge huge money in this league, as well as inheriting some very good players (Baird, Bale, Jones, Claus, Belmadi etc) and we still only managed to just scrape into the play offs and then failed to win them. We will probably never have a better opportunity to get promoted than that season. The first half and a bit of 2007/08 when he was in charge was absolutely dire as well. It was a real chore going to games.

Feck me we are on our third set of management team since he left, get over it he has gone plus I don't ever recall anyone saying he was gods gift.

Pro Burleyite here, was then, am now - nothings changed. I love the itoldyouso threads. They were opinions expressed at the time, nothing more, nothing less. BS, SOG, myself and many others here were in support of GB and not afraid to say so. If you look at the facts, you might well see that he is probably one of the most successful managers that we have had in a long while. The new management team have achieved nothing yet - so lets just wait to draw comparison eh!

Oh, so nearly biting.......

Mods, can we lock this thread?

If you don't like this thread mate, stay away from it.

The point I am making is that Saints fans are very fickle. Today there are no end of posts decrying the standard of football played under Burley during the last 12 months of his tenure and yet many of those same posters weren't saying that at the time, in fact if you criticised Burley there was a general outcry. In other words just because there is a new dawn it is safe to criticise what preceded it. And I daresay if the Dutch duo screw up most on here will be saying "I always said it was never going to work".

I believe my point to be valid and with respect to Colin I have a right to make it without being insulted.

Edited by tiger
sp

People who have known me over the years know i haven't been Lowe's best supporter but i think he has done the right thing this time. The club was dying on it's ass with so much infighting and changes. We had players who couldn't give a monkies about this club. I remember being at the Weds game and looking at Burley thinking he doesn't give a crap either, i'm sure most people were the same who were there. That stuck with me and was one of the main reasons i knew we would fail with Burley. But if you look at how Jan is right now he is like a little kid on xmas morning. Very excited about what could be in the boxes etc.. To him he is pretty much unknown in terms of football management and wants to succeed, you can see it in the way he acts.

Some people will look on Burley's time here as a success and some will look at it as a waste of time. I look at it and think it sums up what happened the year we were relegated and beyond, we paid people who were over-rated too much money and they couldn't be bothered to play for the club. Pearson was only 0.09 points per game off of Burleys record. He didn't spend 12m. He didn't sign any players. He had an injury problem that had the first team defence crocked. He lost possibly our best striker and most creative midfielder. And he had to perform in critical games or we would of been down.

Add to all that he didn't even have a clue what was happening board room wise or even if he would have a job! But he didn't whine or complain he just got on with it. When we won he would never accept praise and when we lost he would take the blame. On the other hand Burley was the total opposite, someone who would hide behind his faults and send someone else out to talk to the press. I remember when he sent Hammill out to talk to the TV station when he had only played 2mins in a loss.

Now Jan is here i see a lot of the same attributes he has with Pearson. But the main one which the club needs the most is fresh desire to do well. Not wanting to be second best and help the players develop. To be a unit and a team, to work together. That is what i could never see under Burley.

So i really hope Jan and Wotte get things right and get this club moving in the right direction once more. I'm tired of seeing us be ripped apart little by little each season board wise and manager wise. The club deserves better and i think with our new direction we are more likely to succeed and return to the PL then we ever were by spending 12m under Burley.

Thank you for giving a reasoned response to my post. I wish others could have done the same without resorting to calling names. I don't agree with all of it but you have certainly presented a fair view on Burley's tenure.

One point of yours I beg to differ on is your interpretation of Lowe's return as being a solution to all the infighting. True we were in a mess thanks to Wilde, Crouch and the mercenaries not having a clue how to run a successful club but, it must never be forgotten the reason why we were being led by such a bunch of numpties in the first place was because of Lowe's crucial foul ups during our relegation season and then some of his actions during the first season down. His stupidity, in other words, proved very fertile for the crap which followed.

As for Burley his sides did play some good football in the early days but once he realised good football does not get you out of the CCC he lost interest and criminally was just going through the motions during 07-08. It is only now that many on here have woken up to that. Hence my thread.

Cheers St Marco.

If you don't like this thread mate, stay away from it.

The point I am making is that Saints fans are very fickle. Today there are no end of posts decrying the standard of football played under Burley during the last 12 months of his tenure and yet many of those same posters weren't saying that at the time, in fact if you criticised Burley there was a general outcry. In other words just because there is a new dawn it is safe to criticise what preceded it. And I daresay if the Dutch duo screw up most on here will be saying "I always said it was never going to work".

I believe my point to be valid and with respect to Colin I have a right to make it without being insulted.

think it was fickle more the other way -i.e. GB was so poor anyone could do better and we should sack him and do better -he left -we did worse.

think it was fickle more the other way -i.e. GB was so poor anyone could do better and we should sack him and do better -he left -we did worse.

But Nick any criticism of GB last season was met by a near crescendo of posters praising what he was doing and yet now those same posters are slagging down the way the team performed last season. Seems a bit hypocritic really.

Had he stayed I think we would have gone down because we really were on the slide and NP did well to reverse (just about) the speed of the decline.

My view of Burley is that he was a decent manager, not god's gift just somewhere in the middle. Last season's collapse came after he left and i think if he stayed we would have finsihed in mid table mediocrity. In hindsight the most annoying thing is that he didn't have a strong chairman to challenge him over the wages of players he wanted to bring in. His first half a season was getting rid of high earning players lacking motivation and his first full season saw us lose in the playoffs. At the time i thought that was an ok performance. Last year's centre back debacle did damage him badly. I wasn't gutted when he got poached but wasn't hounding him out before as i felt he should be judged on the full season.

;);)

My view of Burley is that he was a decent manager, not god's gift just somewhere in the middle. Last season's collapse came after he left and i think if he stayed we would have finsihed in mid table mediocrity. In hindsight the most annoying thing is that he didn't have a strong chairman to challenge him over the wages of players he wanted to bring in. His first half a season was getting rid of high earning players lacking motivation and his first full season saw us lose in the playoffs. At the time i thought that was an ok performance. Last year's centre back debacle did damage him badly. I wasn't gutted when he got poached but wasn't hounding him out before as i felt he should be judged on the full season.

think that's a fair reply.

But Nick any criticism of GB last season was met by a near crescendo of posters praising what he was doing and yet now those same posters are slagging down the way the team performed last season. Seems a bit hypocritic really.

Had he stayed I think we would have gone down because we really were on the slide and NP did well to reverse (just about) the speed of the decline.

I can't say I remember who said what, think most were defending him on some issues and moaning about others but believing he was not a bad manager.

I still believe that although think the momentum had gone.

I believe if he stayed up we would have been about 8-13th. The slide was when he left and continued after NP arrived.

Bottom line I always feared that if he went he would not be replaced by Mourinhio but a worse option so why continually call for him to go? This proved right.

GB did what he could in difficult circumstances. He is now an international manager.

It is interesting that all the posts about we mustnt get rid of Rasiak, Saga John etc it is forgotten who brought them to the club.Andrew Davies likewise, his good loan signings, ok Rudi has been poor but there were few who were upset with the deal.

He turned Bale and Baird Jones from reserves into muliti million pound sales. The guts were ripped out of the team last summer and GB himself said that a mid table fininsh was what was likely.When he left that is what it was panning out to be.

GB is gone get over it. I have.

I can't say I remember who said what, think most were defending him on some issues and moaning about others but believing he was not a bad manager.

I still believe that although think the momentum had gone.

I believe if he stayed up we would have been about 8-13th. The slide was when he left and continued after NP arrived.

Bottom line I always feared that if he went he would not be replaced by Mourinhio but a worse option so why continually call for him to go? This proved right.

Can't agree with that .

We were awful last season right from Chrystal Palace in August and we never really got above mid table at best .

Nigel Pearson will go down in Saints history as a major success - the implication that he just 'continued the slide' is grossly unfair when you take all the difficult circumstances he inherited into consideration .

I say this having been a defender of George Burley .

Can't agree with that .

We were awful last season right from Chrystal Palace in August and we never really got above mid table at best .

Nigel Pearson will go down in Saints history as a major success - the implication that he just 'continued the slide' is grossly unfair when you take all the difficult circumstances he inherited into consideration .

I say this having been a defender of George Burley .

NP will go down as a success in many fans heads. He took us to the brink of rellegation and 3we were saved on the final day, by a good result.If many fans had their way on that day John would not have been in the team!!! We were fortunate that Sheff utd knew that they wrre playing for nothing second half and eventually let go, add to that BT'S decision to be injured and NP will go doewn in history OK.

Had the worst happened then the tame 0-0 draw at home to Coventry and the pathetic results v an unmotivated Cardiff and Burnley home would have more focus.

Burley tried to play attractive football and did get the team overperforming with the result we got to the playoffs. At the time, I don't think we could do better and Pearson proved my point (though credit to him for Wright, Lucketti and Perry who saved our skin in the end).

But there is a much stronger feel good factor under JP. Most fans are trying to be optimistic and I am happier about that than anything Saints related since relegation.

Burley tried to play attractive football and did get the team overperforming with the result we got to the playoffs. At the time, I don't think we could do better and Pearson proved my point (though credit to him for Wright, Lucketti and Perry who saved our skin in the end).

But there is a much stronger feel good factor under JP. Most fans are trying to be optimistic and I am happier about that than anything Saints related since relegation.

Correct. For the first time I get a feel that the players in general are pulling their shirts on with pride and want to do it for us and themselves. The badge kissers are a thing of the past and now we have a will to get it right.

I am friends with Bournemouth fans when I asked them why did the do so well last season they said it was because they played the youngsters who genuinely cared for the club.

GB did what he could in difficult circumstances. He is now an international manager.

It is interesting that all the posts about we mustnt get rid of Rasiak, Saga John etc it is forgotten who brought them to the club.Andrew Davies likewise, his good loan signings, ok Rudi has been poor but there were few who were upset with the deal.

He turned Bale and Baird Jones from reserves into muliti million pound sales. The guts were ripped out of the team last summer and GB himself said that a mid table fininsh was what was likely.When he left that is what it was panning out to be.

GB is gone get over it. I have.

Appreciate your bravery in at least sticking up for Burley now however I have to take issue with some of your views.

Burley is an international manager true but he is far from proven in this arena.

Also he did not turn Bale and Jones into multi pound sales from reserves. The chances are it would have happened anyway especially in the case of Bale who looked every inch a Prem player right from the outset. In the case of Jones most of the credit should go to Sturrock who signed him from Trinidad.

My biggest gripe with Burley was that he had given up the ghost during 07-08and was just turning up (often late and smelling of booze) to pick up his pay check. No wonder we soon went on the slide. It was obvious as well and yet many on here preferred to turn a blind eye.

Amen brother.

Why do people insist on trying to get one up on each other all the frigging time? It is tedious beyond belief you dribbling cretin, shut the fudge up.

And calling someone a dribbling cretin is not "tedious"