Nosy bank cashier?

scotty

Paid a cheque in yesterday for quite a large amount. The cheque was drawn on a solicitors account, (clearly printed on the cheque so clearly kosher,) after the cashier processed it she asked if I wanted to put it into a savings account, which I declined, then asked me where I had got the money from. I was a bit taken aback but assumed there was a reason for asking, but its been niggling me since. Was it any of the cashiers business to ask on the bank's behalf or was she just being nosy? :?

Paid a cheque in yesterday for quite a large amount. The cheque was drawn on a solicitors account, (clearly printed on the cheque so clearly kosher,) after the cashier processed it she asked if I wanted to put it into a savings account, which I declined, then asked me where I had got the money from. I was a bit taken aback but assumed there was a reason for asking, but its been niggling me since. Was it any of the cashiers business to ask on the bank's behalf or was she just being nosy? :?[/QUOT

Whenever I pay in or take out anything in excess of a couple of thousand on my personal account they always ask "are you doing something nice with it" or "have you got plans for this" etc.. I guess they are trained to do so as part they role in generating business I must say I do find it irritating.

Whenever I pay in or take out anything in excess of a couple of thousand on my personal account they always ask "are you doing something nice with it" or "have you got plans for this" etc.. I guess they are trained to do so as part they role in generating business I must say I do find it irritating.

It wasnt that type of query, it was a "where did you get this money" thing. Nothing jocular or friendly, quite the opposite in fact.

IIRC they have to ask in an attempt to identify money laundering etc.

I do feel though, that if anyone is seriously laundering thousands of pounds at a time and shifting it around the banking system, they probably aren't going to be 'tripped up' by a fat bird sat behind the counter in a bank, asking them where they got the money from.

^fair comment, but it still seems odd to me. The cheque was printed with the solicitor's letterhead and going into my personal account, so it obviously couldn't have been fraudulently obtained.

Thinking about it, I will contact the branch and ask them if its normal procedure.

^fair comment, but it still seems odd to me. The cheque was printed with the solicitor's letterhead and going into my personal account, so it obviously couldn't have been fraudulently obtained.

Thinking about it, I will contact the branch and ask them if its normal procedure.

Al that will do is prompt them to ask where you got the money from.

Pretty standard anti-money laundering stuff. Also the world is rife with "washed" cheques - nicked in the post and the encoding details changed by the bad guys. Also pretty standard marketing stuff. Also just making conversation - some peope just aren't very good at it.

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't ask.

Pretty standard anti-money laundering stuff. Also the world is rife with "washed" cheques - nicked in the post and the encoding details changed by the bad guys. Also pretty standard marketing stuff. Also just making conversation - some peope just aren't very good at it.

Forgot to mention, the bank branch I went to is physically next door to the solicitors office that the cheque came from, youd think if she was going to notice anything she'd have noticed that.....

IIRC they have to ask in an attempt to identify money laundering etc.

I do feel though, that if anyone is seriously laundering thousands of pounds at a time and shifting it around the banking system, they probably aren't going to be 'tripped up' by a fat bird sat behind the counter in a bank, asking them where they got the money from.

Yes but as you say not by some bint behind the screen.Her 'duty', if it can be described as that,is merely to draw it to the attention of a superior and possibly on to a Reporting Officer within the organisation.

This ^^

Yes but as you say not by some bint behind the screen.Her 'duty', if it can be described as that,is merely to draw it to the attention of a superior and possibly on to a Reporting Officer within the organisation.

Her duty would be to report it if she had any doubts about the transaction, hence why she asked (although in not the best way) where the money had come from. Any transaction out of the ordinary for an account should prompt some level of questioning. She would have been failing in her duty if she hadn't asked.

Those cheques get stopped in clearing, even if the cashier believes it to be dodgy in some way.

A few years ago l got stop by a custom officer with a dog at Heathrow airport flying back from Bangkok. The reasons was because l was carrying a large sum of money in to the country. I was took to a room and question for over an hour about money laundering was asked why l was bringing £25,000 in to the Uk and how l had got it. Lucky l had all my documents and bank books with me. Was treated like a drug dealer.

All about generating business. If you'd inherited it unexpectedly you might not have plans for it so she could offer bonds etc. If it was from the sale of a car or something she could have found out if you were buying a new car and offered you account that include breakdown cover/insurance. Should probably have noticed the solicitors heading though.

If you are bringing into the country or taking out greater than €10,000 cash or cash equivelent (includes cheques and travellers cheques) then this must be declared to Customs, they have a nice form for you to fill in. £25K in cash from Thailand sounds sus to me!

As regards the cashier it sounds like anti money laundering checks, albeit in an in your face clumsy way!! If your cheque turned out to be proceeds of crime and she didn't even ask basic questions then she could be in trouble with her employers and even prosecuted.

Can you blame them? Carrying £25k anywhere is a bit dodgy, let alone half way round the world. What's wrong with direct bank transfers?

I was bringing it from my thai home Chaiyaphum to my English home Southampton UK nothing dodgy about it as post said l had all documents and bank documents........Plus if l was having an op l would do it in Thailand for a quarter of the price. I had sold my flat in Bangkok. The customs was okay with my answers

Don't banks have to report anything deposited over eight thousand pounds these days?

according to a mate who works for Co-op Bank, any cash deposits greater than £500 have to be investigated re money laundering rules etc.

A taxi driver I was chatting to once told me about his mate (also a taxi driver) who was sick of paying interest on his mortgage when he had all his (undeclared) cash sat in his safe at home. The cabbie ignored the advice of all his mates and went into his building society and cleared the last £30k of his mortgage in cash. The Revenue knocked on his door three days later to quiz him about all that cash.

I was bringing it from my thai home Chaiyaphum to my English home Southampton UK nothing dodgy about it as post said l had all documents and bank documents........Plus if l was having an op l would do it in Thailand for a quarter of the price. I had sold my flat in Bangkok. The customs was okay with my answers

TBF I wouldve given you a full body cavity search.

Scotty you were clearly caught off guard, but with age and experiences such as this you'll learn. I hate jumped up receptionist/cashiers etc. What you need to do when they get clever is knock them off their perch. In this instance i'd have instantly come back with with "what's it gotta do with you?" The casher would clearly have been annoyed at this reply (good) but they couldn't have said anything as technically you were asking a reasonable question and thus you weren't being rude (even though that was your intention because they deserved it). Another one of my favourites is to ask to speak to someone more senior. You could ask to speak to a manager, but by asking to speak to someone more senior it emphasises their lowly position and lands a heftier blow.

Just to add that in my experience the most jumped up receptionists can be found in doctors surgeries. They actually think they're ualified professionals. I have found that of all receptionists these ones get the most rattled when you give it back to them. The flash on pure anger in the eyes I got the other week was brilliant. Serves her right for totally blanking me and leaving me stood their like a plum for 2 minutes while she re-arranged her biros.

Scotty you were clearly caught off guard, but with age and experiences such as this you'll learn. I hate jumped up receptionist/cashiers etc. What you need to do when they get clever is knock them off their perch. In this instance i'd have instantly come back with with "what's it gotta do with you?" The casher would clearly have been annoyed at this reply (good) but they couldn't have said anything as technically you were asking a reasonable question and thus you weren't being rude (even though that was your intention because they deserved it). Another one of my favourites is to ask to speak to someone more senior. You could ask to speak to a manager, but by asking to speak to someone more senior it emphasises their lowly position and lands a heftier blow.

Don't listen to this advice, scotty. dune has never left the house and this scenario is all a fantasy to him. Just look at his use of modal verbs and a conditional tense. Clearly the marks of a delusional fantasist/Daily Mail ranter.

Just to add that in my experience the most jumped up receptionists can be found in doctors surgeries. They actually think they're ualified professionals. I have found that of all receptionists these ones get the most rattled when you give it back to them. The flash on pure anger in the eyes I got the other week was brilliant. Serves her right for totally blanking me and leaving me stood their like a plum for 2 minutes while she re-arranged her biros.

Bang on. The amount of times ive had the bint at my surgery ask me whats wrong with me?!

I was refused a doctor's appointment once because I wouldn't tell the receptionist what was wrong with me. Nosey bastard - is she a qualified medical professional? - no. Has she signed the hypocratic oath? - no.

The doctor's were crap there anyway, on one occasion the GP kept looking things up in a book, and on another a different GP didn't look up from her computer through nearly the entire appointment. (I'm not a hypochondriac, on average I have less than 1 appointment a year). I changed surgeries.

I was refused a doctor's appointment once because I wouldn't tell the receptionist what was wrong with me.

I would simply say it was none of her business and i'm not prepared to discuss it with a receptionist. They need bringing down a peg or two.

according to a mate who works for Co-op Bank, any cash deposits greater than £500 have to be investigated re money laundering rules etc.

A taxi driver I was chatting to once told me about his mate (also a taxi driver) who was sick of paying interest on his mortgage when he had all his (undeclared) cash sat in his safe at home. The cabbie ignored the advice of all his mates and went into his building society and cleared the last £30k of his mortgage in cash. The Revenue knocked on his door three days later to quiz him about all that cash.

You're missing a nought there Matt, it's certain transactions over £5,000. Though if there is any transaction, or group of, that seem irregular or suspicious, they also have to be reported. Some people know that there is £5k limit, and deliberately keep transactions under that limit to avoid AML procedures.